PDA

View Full Version : It makes coffee, too

peterw
2008-08-28, 14:56
Sort of.

Max Spicer did a lot of work improving the alarm capabilities of SqueezeCenter. At one point in the beta test somebody jokingly asked if it could make coffee.

Well, Max added some programming APIs, and the latest version of my PowerCenter plugin (which I initially wrote to use my X10 gear to turn my old receiver off when my Squeezebox 1 turned off), you can specify 1) the X10 or Insteon code of the appliance module your "coffeepot" is on and 2) how many minutes it should remain on after SqueezeCenter turns it on. If you set this up for a player (Boom, Classic, Receiver, whatever), SqueezeCenter will send 'on' commands to that "coffeepot" device whenever an alarm sounds on that particular player. And send a few 'off' commands after the requested number of minutes, or when SqueezeCenter shuts down (but not if SqueezeCenter or your SqueezeCenter host crashes).

I haven't updated the link on the PowerCenter info page, but to get this feature, install SqueezeCenter 7.2 and grab the latest version of PowerCenter (at least 7a11) from http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/slim7/PowerCenter/

Obviously this has more uses than coffee -- you Brits could turn on your electric kettles, or you could use this to turn on a lamp.

I'd love to hear if anyone finds this useful, as I added this feature mostly for fun, so I could say that, yes, the new alarm code can make your coffee. Sort of.

:-)

-Peter

chinablues
2008-08-28, 15:53
I bought a high end coffee machine last year (Saeco Talea RingPlus model). The next model up in price had an ethernet connection, so doubtless someone somewhere has done what you suggest!

Dan

max.spicer
2008-08-29, 03:04
Obviously this has more uses than coffee -- you Brits could turn on your electric kettles, or you could use this to turn on a lamp.

That shows a fundamental misunderstanding of tea. It's made with BOILING water, not BOILED. It also needs freshly drawn water. The thought of tea made with water that's been standing in the kettle overnight, and brought to the boil by my alarm, minutes before I get to the kettle to pour it out, brings me out in a cold sweat. I guess you could use the first boil to warm the teapot, but it would be a manual refill and boil from then on. :-)

Douglas Adams said it far better than I ever could: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A61345.

Max

jeffmeh
2008-08-29, 09:03
That shows a fundamental misunderstanding of tea. It's made with BOILING water, not BOILED. It also needs freshly drawn water. The thought of tea made with water that's been standing in the kettle overnight, and brought to the boil by my alarm, minutes before I get to the kettle to pour it out, brings me out in a cold sweat. I guess you could use the first boil to warm the teapot, but it would be a manual refill and boil from then on. :-)

Douglas Adams said it far better than I ever could: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A61345.

Max

What, the Boom cannot control an air pump to keep the water in the kettle aerated, and a robot arm to retract the air stone and tube from the water, before turning up the heat?

Wait, maybe I can train the pony to do this.... :-P

Michaelwagner
2008-08-29, 19:00
Max: from your Douglas Adams quote, at the very bottom, it says:
In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things.
How do you get along there?

simbo
2008-08-30, 11:44
Max: from your Douglas Adams quote, at the very bottom, it says:
In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things.
How do you get along there?
Easy. Knowledge is expressed through cynicism. Being cynical about everything is the height of social correctness.

surly
2008-08-31, 02:43
I just had my first (work-) excursion to England (Exeter, Devonshire, Dartmoore) I like that country. Even the somewhat rough behaviour in the pubs while watching Football (the one with the round ball - for you Americans). We thought that the english are taking that as a vent for all the polite behavior in the week (the anger has to go somewhere in the end).
But then the reason might have been their non participation in the last Euro Tounament.

While making really good tea you guys have a strange way how to pour a decent beer (I know I'm german and maybe not very objective). But still the atmosphere was much more pollite than I Expected (even when we where identified as the former arch enemy!). I even found some good friends there.

So back to topic, I would love to have my Espresso machine being powered by my (soon to arrive) Boom, because that damn thing needs at least 15 minutes to heat up and the loud rattle when I flip the switch in the morning really is like a hammer on my head every morning. So not standing beside it when the pump starts in the morning would be a great relief!

Greetz surly

ps. cynicism really seems to be common behavior on the island...

ccrome2
2008-08-31, 02:48
On 8/31/08, surly <surly.3f04501220175905 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
> So back to topic, I would love to have my Espresso machine being
> powered by my (soon to arrive) Boom,

No need to wait for your boom to arrive -- you can install SqueezeCenter,
and use SoftSqueeze until your boom arrives.

-C

morris_minor
2008-08-31, 02:57
ps. cynicism really seems to be common behavior on the island...

Being cynical about everything means we can be pleasantly suprised when the occasional thing goes well ;-)

Oh - and Softsqueeze can squeeze your teabag for you after making your cuppa; probably.

Paul Webster
2008-08-31, 03:27
Tongue in cheek ... especially given my posts in the "no FM" thread ...
We had had the possibility of an alarm clock radio with tea making since the mid '70s - the Goblin Teasmade 870
Photos from http://www.74simon.co.uk/teasmade.html
http://www.74simon.co.uk/870a.jpg

http://www.74simon.co.uk/870b.jpg

surly
2008-08-31, 07:06
No need to wait for your boom to arrive -- you can install SqueezeCenter,
and use SoftSqueeze until your boom arrives.

I doubt that I can install SoftSqueeze on that FaemaE61 Style espresso machine!?

I have no Computer in the kitchen and it will stay that way!

Greetz surly

ps. isn't a tea cooking machine pure blasphemy in the eyes of a tea connesseur?!

Michaelwagner
2008-08-31, 07:19
I have no Computer in the kitchen and it will stay that way!
I bet, if you've bought any new appliances in the last 5 years, you're wrong.

We just bought new appliances for a new house, and I am sure the microwave, fridge, stove and dishwasher all have computers in them. I don't know how to talk to them (yet), but I'm pretty sure they're in there. I doubt it's all hardwired electronics talking to those sensors.

Paul Webster
2008-08-31, 07:27
ps. isn't a tea cooking machine pure blasphemy in the eyes of a tea connesseur?!
Read the whole thread for thoughts on that.

surly
2008-08-31, 15:35
It is a really geeky device for that time...

Greetz surly