PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Brackets

dean
2008-08-28, 13:52
One feature that hasn't been talked about much is the mounting bracket accessory that will be available soon. We're waiting for the (hopefully) final set of samples from the factory now. In the mean time, if you are interested, there's a "final" draft of the installation instructions posted on the wiki here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Boom_Mounting_Bracket

If you were in the beta program, feel free to update the wiki page and/or post pictures of your installation.

Thanks,

dean

peterw
2008-08-28, 14:09
Dean, those mounting templates look really good.

I don't have pictures of a mounted Boom, but I can attest to the sturdiness (one pound of steel!) and quality of the mounting hardware. Quality threading throughout, including the threaded metal sockets on the Boom itself, and nice touches like a substantial bit of rubber to help hold the metal bracket securely to the Boom, how the brackets hold the face of the Boom vertical (not angled back as in tabletop use), how the under-cabinet mount leaves the snooze button accessible. Caveat: the bracket is NOT designed for easy on-and-off, it's designed for secure, long-term mounting. If you want to move your Boom around, place it on a shelf. Or buy two. :-)

There are a *lot* of nice touches on the Boom -- down to little details like only the power button remaining backlit when the Boom is turned off. There are a very few things I would have done differently, but it's a really, really nice piece of hardware -- all the more so when you consider it costs the same as the Classic.

surly
2008-08-28, 14:34
-- all the more so when you consider it costs the same as the Classic.

The Classic is 229,- € and the Boom is 279,- € in the official german Web Shop!
So the Classic has become cheaper?!

Greetz surly

ccrome2
2008-08-28, 16:12
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM, peterw <
peterw.3evfun1219957803 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I don't have pictures of a mounted Boom, but I can attest to the
> sturdiness (one pound of steel!) and quality of the mounting hardware.
> Quality threading throughout.

ha ha ha. LOL. Poor Alice had to tap every one of those threads on every
unit. They came from the factory completely sans threads.

Of course, there will be good threads on production units as well.

Michaelwagner
2008-08-30, 05:27
Been there, done that. We've "hand" tapped prototypes on a drill press with a center-seeking tap attachment. Sometimes hundreds of them.

BTW, my boom came directly from the factory in China (boy was that a production, but that's another story) and they all look tapped to me. I haven't tried inserting a screw, to see if they're good threads, but I can see threads. I believe mine was second batch.

ccrome2
2008-08-30, 06:30
Oh, the studs in boom are machine made and should be excellent.

It's the ones on the mounting bracket that were done by hand.

-Caleb

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Michaelwagner <
Michaelwagner.3eyh3z1220099402 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Been there, done that. We've "hand" tapped prototypes on a drill press
> with a center-seeking tap attachment. Sometimes hundreds of them.
>
> BTW, my boom came directly from the factory in China (boy was that a
> production, but that's another story) and they all look tapped to me. I
> haven't tried inserting a screw, to see if they're good threads, but I
> can see threads. I believe mine was second batch.
>
>
> --
> Michaelwagner
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Michaelwagner's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=428
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51630
>
>

Michaelwagner
2008-08-30, 07:03
It's the ones on the mounting bracket that were done by hand.
OIC. Sorry.

bpjod
2008-09-03, 12:03
It looks as though 4 mounting bolts are required to attach the Boom to the mounting brackets. Would it be possible to include thumbscrews rather than bolts that require an Allen key to remove the bolts? I'm thinking of mounting my Boom in the kitchen, but then being able to quickly grab it and take it with me to the garage, back deck or wherever I fancy. Mounting it above the counter on brackets is great, but needing to fiddle with an Allen key and 4 bolts is less then ideal.

mvalera
2008-09-03, 12:36
I don't think thumbscrews would speed up the change at all, and would likely make the mount less secure.

I would get 2 booms in your case.

Mike

mvalera
2008-09-03, 12:41
I took some pics of the Boom we mounted in the SlimKitchen™. Sorry about the finger marks, we obviously need to wash our hands.

Enjoy...

mvalera
2008-09-03, 12:41
One more...

MeSue
2008-09-03, 12:57
It looks as though 4 mounting bolts are required to attach the Boom to the mounting brackets. Would it be possible to include thumbscrews rather than bolts that require an Allen key to remove the bolts? I'm thinking of mounting my Boom in the kitchen, but then being able to quickly grab it and take it with me to the garage, back deck or wherever I fancy. Mounting it above the counter on brackets is great, but needing to fiddle with an Allen key and 4 bolts is less then ideal.

I suggested a thumbscrew type mount for easy removal during beta testing, but I guess it was too late in the design process or nixed for other reasons.

Fortunately, my husband has a metal-working machine and I was able to get him to build me one. You can see pictures of what he built here: http://picasaweb.google.com/sue.chastain/Mount?authkey=hogJVHh9LT4#

However, this is not nearly as sturdy as the Logitech mount. I have to brace it from underneath and use my thumb to press buttons. I also had to add a spacer between the cabinet and the Boom (not shown in picture) because the Snooze button kept getting pushed accidentally.

Now that I have two Booms, I'd switch the kitchen one over to the Logitech mount, except I wasn't sent enough of the Allen bolts... although, I guess I could improvise it with the screws we scrounged up for the home-brew solution.

bpjod
2008-09-03, 20:56
I don't think thumbscrews would speed up the change at all, and would likely make the mount less secure.

My PC case has great thumb screws holding the lid on and I can tighten them very securely with my fingers

Nice...

kdf
2008-09-03, 21:57
On 3-Sep-08, at 8:56 PM, bpjod wrote:

>
> -I don't think thumbscrews would speed up the change at all, and would
> likely make the mount less secure.-
>
> My PC case has great thumb screws holding the lid on and I can tighten
> them very securely with my fingers

your pc case screws are not likely facing torsion forces from gravity
or repeated faceplate button pressing (not to mention the occasional
bump)

A single tripod mount style thumbscrew could probably work, but then
it would be bulkier along with the heavier metal needed for a rigid
support.

-kdf

mvalera
2008-09-04, 09:21

My PC case has great thumb screws holding the lid on and I can tighten them very securely with my fingers

Nice...

Maybe I could have said this better, but I wasn't trying to be cute. There's not a lot of room under the boom in the bracket area, and I don't know that you could get enough torque with your fingers to make the connection tight enough. I personally would want to use a hex key every time, so the thing wouldn't shake loose.

Also, mounting and unmounting a boom is not something I would want to be doing on a regular (daily/weekly) basis. I personally would get one boom and mount it permanently, and have one for moving around the house. Your mileage, and mounting/unmounting tolerance may vary.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 09:30
Maybe I could have said this better, but I wasn't trying to be cute. There's not a lot of room under the boom in the bracket area, and I don't know that you could get enough torque with your fingers to make the connection tight enough. I personally would want to use a hex key every time, so the thing wouldn't shake loose.

Also, mounting and unmounting a boom is not something I would want to be doing on a regular (daily/weekly) basis. I personally would get one boom and mount it permanently, and have one for moving around the house. Your mileage, and mounting/unmounting tolerance may vary.

Having been in the Beta, I can tell you that after about 3 M/UnM times with a wall mounted Boom, you will be buying a second Boom. Don't get me wrong, the wall mount works well. It is just that things are tight making one want to leave it where its at!

If there is plenty of room under your cabinet, it is much easier M/UnM then on a wall. But in the end, it might just end up being easier to buy a Boom to Mount and a Boom to Move.

jo-wie
2008-09-05, 08:12
Sorry for being completly off topic, but why is this flexible tube mounted on the wall?

=D

mvalera
2008-09-05, 09:46
HA!

Water going from the filtered water machine to the coffee makers.

Which reminds me... I need to go get some.

Mike

jo-wie
2008-09-05, 12:12
Thank you Mike. My first thougt was an intravenous coffee injection.

Go on and keep the coffee/tee water filtered, maybe necessary to create great hardware. ;-)

jo-wie

max.spicer
2008-09-05, 12:56
HA!

Water going from the filtered water machine to the coffee makers.

Which reminds me... I need to go get some.

Mike

Go on, set up a coffee cam, you know you want to!

Max

toby10
2008-09-09, 15:19
I took some pics of the Boom we mounted in the SlimKitchen™. Sorry about the finger marks, we obviously need to wash our hands.

Enjoy...

Hmmmm......funny........when I ordered my Boom I was not asked which flavor TAZO tea I wanted?

Back OT: Have you guys settled on an MSRP for the Boom Mounting Kit/Bracket?

toby10
2008-09-09, 15:26
.........Fortunately, my husband has a metal-working machine and I was able to get him to build me one. You can see pictures of what he built here: http://picasaweb.google.com/sue.chastain/Mount?authkey=hogJVHh9LT4#........

Is the first photo you show (underneath Boom) stock from factory including the large dial-down bolt? Or is this again your hubby's doing? :)

Neither SD's Boom photo gallery nor Boom users guide show this angle/view.

MeSue
2008-09-09, 22:00
Is the first photo you show (underneath Boom) stock from factory including the large dial-down bolt? Or is this again your hubby's doing? :)

No, both the aluminum piece and the thumbscrew were hubby's doing. He used the factory threads that were intended for the Logitech mount.

toby10
2008-09-10, 04:26
No, both the aluminum piece and the thumbscrew were hubby's doing. He used the factory threads that were intended for the Logitech mount.

So no tea and no large thumbscrew?

That's what I figured, thanks. :)

db122
2008-09-23, 06:03
Any ETA on bracket availability? Cost?

The Moog
2008-09-29, 07:25
Yeah,

any idea on pricing and availability over the pond in the UK? Will this be sold through the usual channels and a Logitech branded part?

The Moog

mvalera
2008-09-29, 12:30
The design is still being tweaked. More when I have it.

Mike

The Moog
2008-10-06, 07:34
Just a quick question on this bracket,

I can't really make this out from the schematics, but will you be able to run the cabling (power and headphone/sub jack) straight down through the centre of the bracket, or do they have to be draped over the sides of it?

The Moog

peterw
2008-10-06, 09:50
I can't really make this out from the schematics, but will you be able to run the cabling (power and headphone/sub jack) straight down through the centre of the bracket, or do they have to be draped over the sides of it?

The bracket attaches to the Boom *above* all the rear jacks. So if you're running cabling *down* (or left or right), the bracket won't interfere. Your cable would all be below the bracket. If you want to run the cabling *up* for some reason, you'll have to route it around the side of the bracket. But there is[0] over 1/4" gap between the back of the Boom and the bracket, so even there you shouldn't have any noticeable cable routing problems. Worst thing is the bracket would add a few inches to the cable length requirements.

-Peter

[0] in the pre-release run, anyway. Since MV says they're tweaking the design, the final product might differ a bit, though I expect it'll be the same.

MisterBB
2008-10-14, 11:32
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the "official" mounting bracket. I decided that it would make a great project for my son and I to make our own in the meantime. In fact, he had a great idea: mount it to a swivel bracket! So we bought a six-inch "lazy susan" and some various sheet and bar metal stock. Everything is made now but I can't seem to find the thread spec for the small screws required to attach the Boom to our bracket. The templates referenced on the wiki seem to only have the bracket mounting bolt specs. I don't want to cross-thread those lovely brass inserts. Help please!

-Bill

dean
2008-10-14, 15:11
Those inserts are metric and spec'ed as: M2.5x0.45 [mm]

jason_nealon
2008-10-14, 20:20
Hi guys,

I am about to buy 9 Squeezebox Booms (they just made it into Australia) and I plan to mount them into the wall cavity throughout my house. I am using them to replace an old Valet intercom system that was installed back in 1985!... so should sound a little better.

A couple of questions:

1) has anyone mounted them into a wall and any tips?
2) how many simultaneous streaming squeexebox devices can a home wireless network handle...(assuming I have solid coverage)? Will I have any issues with 9 devices?

Jason

ccrome2
2008-10-15, 00:16
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:20 PM, jason_nealon <
jason_nealon.3hayjn1224041103 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Hi guys,
>
> I am about to buy 9 Squeezebox Booms (they just made it into Australia)
> and I plan to mount them into the wall cavity throughout my house.

Very cool. I'd love to see some photos!

> I am
> using them to replace an old Valet intercom system that was installed
> back in 1985!... so should sound a little better.

Will sound much better in the receive direction. The send direction will
sound better, but be less intelligible ;-)

>
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) has anyone mounted them into a wall and any tips?

I haven't heard about anybody mounting them in a recess as you're proposing.

>
> 2) how many simultaneous streaming squeexebox devices can a home
> wireless network handle...(assuming I have solid coverage)? Will I have
> any issues with 9 devices?

That really depends on what you're streaming. FLAC can take up 802.11b
pretty quickly. Regular MP3 is easier on wifi networks. If your network
runs out of steam, you can simply add more APs with different SSIDs to
increase your bandwidth. I'd guess 25% efficiency at 54MPBS worst case. So
perhaps 54,000 kbps / 320kbps * 25% = 42 streams. At 25% of 11 mbps, you
get 8.5 streams at 320 kbps.

Somebody else who knows wifi better than I do should really answer.

Mounting in a recess will definitely have some effect on the RF reception.
Whether it's good or bad depends on the exact situation :-) You could also
run ethernet to the ones that are getting poor reception.

-Caleb

funkstar
2008-10-15, 01:46
Mounting in a recess will definitely have some effect on the RF reception.
Whether it's good or bad depends on the exact situation :-) You could also
run Ethernet to the ones that are getting poor reception.
I would recommend running cable to everywhere you can.

Wireless is great, fantastic technology... when it works. But it can be a pain in the arse when it doesn't work. And that isn't a reflection on any of the SD equipment, you just can't beat hard wiring things :)

jason_nealon
2008-10-15, 15:26
Thanks guys.

I am mounting a couple into a double brick wall and the rest into cladded wood framed walls. I am a little concerned about the brick installs (although they will have the closest range to the Transmitter). I'll send some photos for sure.

Unfortunately - it is virtually impossible for me to get Cat 5 cable through to most locations....

There is currently a multicore (6 wire) in place which was utilised for line-level audio, coms and 18v power by the intercom. It is not configured in twisted pairs... just like a standard phone line but with 6 wires. I was going to try to use this cable to pull through some cat5 - but it is impossible due to the way they were originally layed.

Actually - another question.

I know that Cat 5 has a couple of spare wires when used for transmitting data... what would my chance be of configuring the 6 core for data transmission? I am guessing the longest run would be 40 meters.

I was going to use it for running the 12v power for each unit. My father in-law is an Electrician so we are going to have all power at a master location and then measure / adjust the power to each unit to compensate for any loss in voltage due to the cable length.

Kiwi
2008-10-15, 15:38
Thanks guys.

I know that Cat 5 has a couple of spare wires when used for transmitting data... what would my chance be of configuring the 6 core for data transmission? I am guessing the longest run would be 40 meters.

You can run at 10 or 100 Mbps with 4 wires. Check the gauge and twists issue elsewhere on the 'net to see if that is a possibiity for you.

ccrome2
2008-10-15, 16:02
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM, jason_nealon <
jason_nealon.3hcfjz1224109802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> I know that Cat 5 has a couple of spare wires when used for
> transmitting data... what would my chance be of configuring the 6 core
> for data transmission? I am guessing the longest run would be 40
> meters.

Whew, 40M of telephone wire. That should really challenge the ethernet
PHYs. You can certainly give it a try -- it won't cause any damage, but it
sure might not work. You can definitely use very short runs of bad wire and
it'll generally be okay. If you have a switch you can force in to 10 Mbit
mode, it may work better. All I can say is, give it a try. The worst case
is that it won't work, and you wont get wifi reception. In that case,
you'll have to bring a wifi access point somewhere within range.

-Caleb

>
>
>
> --
> jason_nealon
> jason_nealon's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20528
>
>

jason_nealon
2008-10-15, 21:09
Thanks guys...

I'll be having a go over the next week. I have the pin configuration so am trying to go that way first. Fingers crossed

nacmacfeegle
2008-10-22, 05:12
"Those inserts are metric and spec'ed as: M2.5x0.45 [mm]"

Wow, that's quite a small thread....camera mounts are twice that size, or thereabouts. a 2.5mm cap screw is going to require a 2mm hex key which will very easily misplaced.

I used to do a bit of freefall skydiving filmwork and for my camera mounts I used to make my own thumbscrews. I often had to quickly unmount the cameras for video download, changing film/tapes etc...

Get a suitable screw, make sure its not too long or it will either strip the thread insert or burst it from its fixing. Find a plastic bottle cap of a suitable size/colour etc, milk bottles or coke bottles work fine. Drill a hole in the top of the cap, push the screw (with any spacer washers to adjust the thread length) through so the screw head is inside the cap, then fill the cap with epoxy resin. Sand off any ugly epoxy once set and paint if necessary.

I didn't lose a camera in 1000 or so camera jumps so its quite secure. You don't have to scratch around for tools if you get the urge to move your Boom temporarily.

Of course you should really buy two or more if you intend to move one around a lot....
;-)

DeVerm
2008-10-30, 23:26
"Those inserts are metric and spec'ed as: M2.5x0.45 [mm]"
Wow, that's quite a small thread....

No, that must be a typo because 0.45 mm length is like... the thickness of a hair, just unreal and non-existent. Also, I never heard of use of M2.5 and I know a lot about metric fasteners. M3 M4 M5 or even M6 is my bet it is. Yankees don't have "the feel" for metric yet ;-)

cheers,
Nick.

JJZolx
2008-10-31, 00:19
No, that must be a typo because 0.45 mm length is like... the thickness of a hair, just unreal and non-existent. Also, I never heard of use of M2.5 and I know a lot about metric fasteners. M3 M4 M5 or even M6 is my bet it is. Yankees don't have "the feel" for metric yet

Google 'M2.5x0.45 inserts'. Looks like a fairly common thread size.

M2.5x0.45 Ultrasert (http://oemfasteningsystems.thomasnet.com/item/metric-course-inserts-free-running/ultrasert-ii-long/6075-2-5br056?&seo=110&bc=100|1011|3001078|3001070)

Skunk
2008-10-31, 05:08
A common thread size is whatever it is that holds the side panels on a PC case (and also secures the PCI cards to the case, among other things). I have some that are thumb screws so it's easy to get the case apart, and was hoping they fit the boom bracket, but they didn't.

DeVerm
2008-11-01, 10:23
Google 'M2.5x0.45 inserts'. Looks like a fairly common thread size.

Ah, ANSI naming... see, yankees adapt to metric somewhat but insist on calling it different names. I am totally confused with it as I'm used to ISO naming, which is used everywhere else in the world. In ISO terms, this is just called a M2.5 insert. The 0.45 refers to the spacing between threads and this isn't used in ISO when it's the standard (course) thread. M2.5 only has this single, standard thread, incl. everything up to and including 6mm.

So, in ISO language, M2.5x0.45 inserts means M2.5 thread and 0.45mm length! These inserts will be about 10mm in length so we would call them M2.5x10 inserts.

Again, ANSI=USA, ISO=rest of the world.

See this for naming differences: http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.cfm/29425071F0B221118070C1C513906103E0B05543B0B0120090 83C3B285357474A2D020609090C0015312A36515F554A5B

cheers,
Nick.

Zaragon
2008-11-05, 14:46
There is currently a multicore (6 wire) in place which was utilised for line-level audio, coms and 18v power by the intercom. It is not configured in twisted pairs... just like a standard phone line but with 6 wires. I was going to try to use this cable to pull through some cat5 - but it is impossible due to the way they were originally layed.

What you could try if they are available over there are what could be called baseband modems or line drivers. They are effectively like the mains plug systems but run over unpowered cables like telephone cables.

You may have to go to a specialist provider or as these are often the type of devices that are used in hotels to upgrade their in room telephones to support ethernet then one of those type of contractors may be able to advise. This is perhaps most relevant to you as you have so many you want to do and the central units will support that number in rack type mounts.

They would easily support the cable lengths you need. They can often also supply power for in room equipment. Can't say if they support the needs of the Boom but you would have nothing to loose.

The Moog
2008-11-06, 05:25
To get back OT,

Any news about the availability of the Boom wall bracket? My Boom is currently precariously stood on a stool in my kitchen, and I would feel much safer knowing it was screwed to the wall!

The Moog

The Moog
2008-11-12, 05:39
Anyone?

I really need a set of these!

The Moog

Ben Sandee
2008-11-12, 07:13
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:39 AM, The Moog
<The.Moog.3iriwn1226493602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone?
>
> I really need a set of these!

Vaporware.

mvalera
2008-11-12, 12:04
Considering how much we had to pay for the tooling... vaporware might be a bit strong. ;p

They're in production now, and barring any internal problems we hope to have them for sale on the store by the end of the year.

Mike

Ben Sandee
2008-11-12, 13:08
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM, mvalera
<mvalera.3is0qb1226516703 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Considering how much we had to pay for the tooling... vaporware might be
> a bit strong. ;p

Expensive vaporware? :-)

>
> They're in production now, and barring any internal problems we hope to
> have them for sale on the store by the end of the year.

I'm looking forward to it!

Ben

Justme
2008-12-07, 07:45
I look forward to this. HQ (my wife of course) has blocked the purchase of a Squeezebox Boom for the kitchen until we can find a mounting solution. This could very well be in.

Hopefully these brackets come on the market soon. By the way, will they be sold at the shop front on this website?

ccrome2
2008-12-07, 08:59
they will be available on the web only.

-caleb

On 12/7/08, Justme <Justme.3k1zcz1228661104 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I look forward to this. HQ (my wife of course) has blocked the purchase
> of a Squeezebox Boom for the kitchen until we can find a mounting
> solution. This could very well be in.
>
> Hopefully these brackets come on the market soon. By the way, will they
> be sold at the shop front on this website?
>
>
> --
> Justme
> Justme's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=369
>
>

The Moog
2008-12-08, 08:10
Any ideas on release dates yet (UK)?

Just interested to know if these will be able to make it onto my Christmas list? Cheers,

The Moog

mparry
2008-12-17, 17:46
https://secure.slimdevices.com/products.php?product=Squeezebox-Boom-Mounting-Brackets

Moonbase
2008-12-17, 21:33
Having been in the Beta, I can tell you that after about 3 M/UnM times with a wall mounted Boom, you will be buying a second Boom. […] But in the end, it might just end up being easier to buy a Boom to Mount and a Boom to Move.

Hee hee, greatest money making scheme ever invented after pub closing time and »Last orders, gentlemen, please!«

*SCNR* :-)

Ben Sandee
2008-12-17, 22:42
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:46 PM, mparry
<mparry.3kla1b1229561402 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> https://secure.slimdevices.com/products.php?product=Squeezebox-Boom-Mounting-Brackets

Hooray!

The Moog
2008-12-18, 05:26
Woo hoo!

Now where can I get one of these in the UK?

The Moog

mvalera
2008-12-18, 10:07
They'll be on Logitech.com soon.

Mike

toby10
2008-12-18, 12:54
https://secure.slimdevices.com/products.php?product=Squeezebox-Boom-Mounting-Brackets

I’m waiting for the Monster brand of these brackets. Monster’s special aluminum alloys combined with their titanium buffered electroplating process will deliver FAR superior stereo separation and tonal resonances.

:)

ianr
2008-12-21, 19:19
Holy cow - the only shipping option to Canada is $52!!!

iPhone
2008-12-22, 00:06
Holy cow - the only shipping option to Canada is $52!!!

Haven't you been watching the news or the Weather Channel? It snows in the Great White North and now the shipping companies require payment for having the roads cleared and blown dry before delivery.

All kidding aside, its the Christmas Rush/Holiday Blues shipping surcharge!

Justme
2008-12-28, 02:08
Just tried the checkout and found it couldn't be shipped to Germany. Ahh, is this an error or something?

funkstar
2008-12-28, 05:35
Just tried the checkout and found it couldn't be shipped to Germany. Ahh, is this an error or something?

A lot of people do see it as an error, but it is to do with how Logitech operate their sales regions. You will need to wait fro Logitech to offer it as a spare on your counties Logitech site.

Justme
2008-12-28, 07:55
^^ Yes, then it is an error on their part. It's not on any logitech website that I can find so it seems it's only available in the US (or Canada) via the Slim Devices web page.

Now if you are reading this Slim Devices, please spare a thought for how bad this is for your business. International shipping is not all that hard. I have a small business as a photographer and yet am able to ship my photos, prints etc, anywhere in the world at excellent rates. Whether that is to a small village in outer Mongolia or a major industrialized nation.

Post has predated e-sales by many a generation.

It's bad business for your company because if I can't buy those $19 brackets, I can't mount the boom in the kitchen and that means I can't buy that $299 boom. I am sure from reading this forum I am not the only one here.

Come on guys, it's not rocket science to send a parcel. Heck, I bought my original Squeezebox on this very web page and it was sent to Germany. If it really is a problem with Logitech, have a word with them.

Anyway, a warm Merry Xmas from us here in Germany :O)

WizardFusion
2009-01-03, 14:40
I agree, I am waiting for the brackets to be available in the UK before I buy another boom for my kitchen.

Please hurry this along.

alicejanee
2009-01-07, 05:22
Wish the mounting bracket for the Boom was available in the Netherlands. This is so annoying.

Ben Sandee
2009-01-07, 06:37
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 6:22 AM, alicejanee
<alicejanee.3ln7jn1231331102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Wish the mounting bracket for the Boom was available in the Netherlands.
> This is so annoying.

It'll be worth the wait. I certainly can't imagine what the holdup is
but the quality of the bracket and the included instructions is very
high.

Ben

lbmh
2009-01-07, 08:25
Isn't Logitech a Swiss Company ? You should manage to sell
to your European customers !

WizardFusion
2009-01-07, 11:26
It'll be worth the wait. I certainly can't imagine what the holdup is but the quality of the bracket and the included instructions is very high.
It would be nice to found out ourselves.!

iPhone
2009-01-07, 11:32
Isn't Logitech a Swiss Company ? You should manage to sell
to your European customers !

Yes that is true. But I doubt that the mounting brackets are made there. Probably China or the US, I would bet on China though. Very simple to get from China to the US by large container ship arriving in LA. Harder and more expensive to ship to Europe. It takes time for the supply pipeline to get stocked.

The Moog
2009-01-09, 03:59
Any advances on when the boat from China will be making a drop-off in Europe?

Must get one of these so I can hang the Boom on the wall!

The Moog

Justme
2009-01-09, 04:50
I think it has very little to do with imports from China. Europe is a larger trade partner than the US with China, and shipping from China to Europe is not an issue at all.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xw/t272113.htm

The problem seems to be that since Logitech bought the company, SlimDevices now only ship to the US and rely on Logitech to ship to other locations. The problem with this is that Logitech is a massive and bloated company, and these company's often don't take in smaller details such as supplying these brackets. I am guessing we will never see them in Europe unless Slimdevices start to ship internationally again.

Why they have stopped I have no idea. It's not hard to ship internationally. I think Slim Devices should make a stand on this and if Logitech is slowing things down they should offer some sort of stop gap solution, even if it's selling the brackets on ebay. After all, they are clearly loosing sales right now, and that's not something to take lightly in today's economic situation.

@Slim Devices, if you are reading, here is a suggestion. Please find some other way to send these brackets internationally. Even if it's via ebay, amazon or whatever.

tonyroberts09
2009-01-12, 08:36
Been there, done that. We've "hand" tapped prototypes on a drill press with a center-seeking tap attachment. Sometimes hundreds of them.

Blue Fishey
2009-01-13, 09:29
Come on we NEED these in the UK and Europe !

Pritty Please

Blue

mvalera
2009-01-13, 10:33
We're working on getting them SKU'ed up in Europe. They will definitely be available there... have patience.

Mike

mparry
2009-01-13, 12:55
As mike said we are currently working hard on a solution. I completely agree that ALL of our customers should be able to order any accessory.Please bear with us in the meantime and rest assured that we are very aware of this problem and are in no way ignoring our European customers!

Mnyb
2009-01-13, 13:07
As mike said we are currently working hard on a solution. I completely agree that ALL of our customers should be able to order any accessory.Please bear with us in the meantime and rest assured that we are very aware of this problem and are in no way ignoring our European customers!

I'll be ordering an extra charger cradle and supply as soon as they are available to me :)
if that checks in as " any accessory "

mvalera
2009-01-13, 16:26
We're working on those too. :)

Mike

Justme
2009-01-13, 23:11
Thanks for your update guys. It's good to know you're working on the issue.

Blue Fishey
2009-01-14, 04:49
We're working on getting them SKU'ed up in Europe. They will definitely be available there... have patience.

Mike

Cheers great news :)

ThomP
2009-01-16, 07:24
We're working on those too. :)

Mike

Any chance you could include this interchangable plug adapter http://dk.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=uSCGLXF1nknaUmcJjbtS8A%3d%3d with the power supply? It's the one in the lower right corner of the PDF that turns the power supply to a "brick-in-the-middle" type.

They must be cheap to include (they cost 1.07€), but shipping them to Europe individually is expensive (20€)!

Kiwi
2009-01-16, 13:20
Any chance you could include this interchangable plug adapter http://dk.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=uSCGLXF1nknaUmcJjbtS8A%3d%3d with the power supply? It's the one in the lower right corner of the PDF that turns the power supply to a "brick-in-the-middle" type.

They must be cheap to include (they cost 1.07€), but shipping them to Europe individually is expensive (20€)!

I also request that option, or accessory, for the Boom. I bought a bracket and set up a Boom in the kitchen but the transformer looks ugly and could easily be nudged out of the AC socket. A set up with the transformer in the middle would allow me to hide it under the cabinet the Boom is mounted on. In addition a 90 degree AC plug would work much better than an inline plug, as it would allow me to keep the cable flush against the wall, until I am under the cabinet where I can dress the power cables.

WizardFusion
2009-01-16, 13:28
I wouldn't mind paying a small amount extra for one of these. They are a great idea - especially for the SBB in a kitchen area.

WizardFusion
2009-01-18, 14:13
I have just found that RS in the UK sell them, but only with a minimum order of 5 units.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2509610710

£1 each, with £10 shipping. Shame.

syburgh
2009-03-02, 12:36
Installed my Boom using the bracket under a cabinet today-- very well designed and documented accessory! Especially nice that the remote control fits perfectly in the indentation on the back of the bracket (between the center screws and edge). It stays there due to the magnet's hold on the bracket itself.

Would be nice if the Boom was available in white for my kitchen though. :)

MikeekiM
2009-03-02, 19:33
My Boom is sitting on top of the fridge, and once in a while, I like to quickly grab it and walk it over to the garage to listen to some tunes while working...

How "permanent" is the bracket mount? Is it easy enough to quickly take it off and on in a convenient manner?

I am not talking if it is "possible" to do it... I am really focusing in on is it "convenient" to do so...

funkstar
2009-03-03, 03:39
I am not talking if it is "possible" to do it... I am really focusing in on is it "convenient" to do so...
Not really, they haven't been designed for quick release. I think others have built their own brackets and used a camera tripod screw attachment so they can remove it quickly and easily.

toby10
2009-03-03, 04:02
My Boom is sitting on top of the fridge, and once in a while, I like to quickly grab it and walk it over to the garage to listen to some tunes while working...

How "permanent" is the bracket mount? Is it easy enough to quickly take it off and on in a convenient manner?

For garage use I just took two simple "L" brackets, mounted them to the wall, glued some black foam stuff (kind of like a dense foam rubber but in thin sheets) to the "L" brackets.

This foam stuff prevents the Boom from slipping or vibrating off of the brackets, prevents scratches on the Boom, and (somewhat) isolates the audio from the wall.

Works great, but not a solution for most in house mounting. :)

bpa
2009-03-03, 04:12
Alternate UK source of the power adaptor c8 plug

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/catalogue/input-clip-psar-series-adapters-p-203.html

WizardFusion
2009-03-06, 12:15
Alternate UK source of the power adaptor c8 plug
http://www.watt-power.co.uk/catalogue/input-clip-psar-series-adapters-p-203.html

Wow, that much cheaper for postage than anyone else - thanks!
I'm ordering 2 of them now.

peterbye
2009-03-17, 06:14
Is there any news on UK availability of the mounting bracket?

Muckle_Eck
2009-04-21, 12:12
Is there any news on UK availability of the mounting bracket?

Can I second that....any chance of UK people buying the brackets?

Kevint
2009-04-22, 10:17
Another vote for making the brackets available to the UK.

Kevin

ThomP
2009-04-22, 10:50
...or any other EU country...

Richie
2009-04-22, 11:26
You can get them in the Netherlands.

http://www.wifimedia.eu/catalog/logitechsqueezeboxboommountingbrackets-p-714.html?osCsid=3e6990ea6f77fb6a946f0e77c741d049

Richard

dave77
2009-04-23, 01:42
Has a price been mentioned for the UK yet, 34 euros is about £30 at the moment, bit steep for a couple of pieces of metal!

funkstar
2009-04-23, 02:05
Has a price been mentioned for the UK yet, 34 euros is about £30 at the moment, bit steep for a couple of pieces of metal!
Yup it is expensive considering the material costs. However a lot of the other costs associate with getting this through manufacture will be high as it is a very low volume production and distribution item. Profit margins aren't going to be a percentage, they ae going to be a flat markup etc.

This is usually why spares and accessories are so expensive.

RussellMrgn
2009-05-06, 17:25
I've just bought two sets direct from the U.S. Site. The total cost inc postage was $42 to the U.K.
The way I did it was to get in contact with the sales dept via email.
Matt Parry was very helpfull, and sorted things out for me.

Russ

Edit: Phoned my card details to Matt 10 pm Tuesday evening, got a call from my daughter in Southampton on Thursday morning saying that the items had arrived! What a fantastic service.

Russ

MikeekiM
2009-05-31, 09:41
Is there any existing thread where people are posting/sharing their photos of Boom setups using the mounting brackets? Or would this be it? If there are no other threads for this, I'd love to see some of your mounted boom setups!

Edit: OK...nevermind... I see that there is a section for system photos... I'll post there... :)

carp
2009-06-12, 08:12
Are the mounting brackets available in Germany already? I did not find them on Logitech Germany (http://www.logitech.de).

Metoo
2009-07-07, 07:06
Just come across this thread, and judging by the comments and the pictures so far, the Engineering team seem to have dropped the ball on this one.

The biggest design oversights I (and many others) have with my Boom are:

a) moving it around is awkward as there is no carry handle (so risks being dropped).

b) there is no way of easily mounting it on a wall or under a cabinet.

Glad to see that the latter is being addressed, but we now have a new problem that

c) "easy" it isn't - it is extremely fiddly to take the Boom on/off the wall, making switching locations long-winded and laborious - such that the only practical recommendation for use in 2 locations is to buy 2 Boom boxes! Given that one of the key design remits of the Boom is for it to be transportable, what a ludicrous suggestion and admission of design failure this is!

Sad to see we are so far down the manufacturing route for this bracket now that it is too late to go back to the drawing board.

A far better suggestion, IMO, would have been to

a) fabricate a bracket to fit onto the 4 Boom mounting screws, that comes up the back of the Boom and over the top so it acts a cantilevered carrying handle [1],

b) design the bracket so that it mates into an optional wall or under-cabinet mounting plate, either by slide-in flanges or hooks [1], so that the Boom can have several mounting methods and be quickly and easily transferred between locations.

[1] Which could also, with the right design, provide a convenient flex-tidy while the box is being moved.

Obviously that would cost more, but in my opinion such a flexible solution would have been infinitely more practical than this dumb fixed plate.

Of course to keep costs down you could sell the handle and mount as seperate items as not everybody would need both, and as seen from the comments in this thread, some would buy more than one mount.

A bit of more thought into this design could have made a handle+bracket an essential accessory package for all Boom owners. Sorry guys, but what a totally missed opportunity!

funkstar
2009-07-08, 08:05
Given that one of the key design remits of the Boom is for it to be transportable
Was it?

I don't think any of the players have been designed to be easity transportable.

Years back there was someone complaining that the VFD cracked on his SB3 when he dropped it when using the "carry handle". Turned out it was the metal stand at the back of the SB3. It may be compact and light (in the case of the SB3) or an all in one using like the Boom, doesn't mean it has been specifically designed to be transported though.

cinema_revival
2009-07-11, 04:17
Boom brackets in stock in United Kingdom - http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/453

clipper
2009-07-11, 05:03
In message
<cinema_revival.3v5prz1247311084 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
cinema_revival
<cinema_revival.3v5prz1247311084 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes

>Boom brackets in stock in United Kingdom -
>http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/453

£25 !??!?
and plus postage presumably ....
--
David

cinema_revival
2009-07-11, 10:31
The price quoted is the total I paid.

Shipping included I presume or I got lucky :)

dave77
2009-09-02, 07:18
Boom brackets in stock in United Kingdom - http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/453

Finally! Only just noticed this :)

MikeekiM
2010-04-24, 17:49
Where can you buy these brackets now? (US)

Thanks...

plympton
2010-06-08, 09:43
Where can you buy these brackets now? (US)

Thanks...

I see it here:

http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.13980800

Doesn't mean it's actually in stock, but there's hope!

-Dan

ckd
2011-12-19, 08:02
It is in stock for Europe! After only a few years of waiting to be able to order the mounting brackets I actually did it two weeks ago. They arrived last week and my Boom is now finally and firmly mounted beneath the kitchen shelve. Very nice.

Let's hope that the Squeezebox line of product survives and is further developed ....

aubuti
2011-12-19, 09:43
That's hysterical: the Boom brackets only becoming available after the Boom itself is discontinued....

Michaelwagner
2011-12-19, 13:03
Let's do the time warp, yeah!