PDA

View Full Version : Will the headphone out work......

Howard Passman
2008-08-28, 09:44
for external powered speakers such as the AudioEngine A5's...if ne so desired? I read somewhere in these forums recently that a headphone output doesn't match the input on a powered speaker set up very well.

Any input from you lucky beta folks on this?

Thanks,

Howard

seanadams
2008-08-28, 09:46
It is _marketed_ (cough) only as a headphone output (wink).

Mark Miksis
2008-08-28, 09:52
Currently, the internal speakers are disabled when using the output in headphone mode. There's an open enhancement request to allow a line out mode where both the internal and external speakers would be active at the same time.

Howard Passman
2008-08-28, 09:54
...maybe you can take a break from work for a little vacation. Seems as if you've developed a little tick and a cough from too many hours in the lab..
:-)

Howard

JimInPT
2008-11-19, 19:25
Currently, the internal speakers are disabled when using the output in headphone mode. There's an open enhancement request to allow a line out mode where both the internal and external speakers would be active at the same time.

I'd vote for that, twice! I'm looking for a way to drive a second pair of (wireless) speakers in the bathroom via the SB on the bedside table, so we can catch up on the news 'n tunes whilst getting ready for another day.

If a firmware update would permit simultaneous line-out/headphone use without disabling the internal speakers, it would be a huge improvement!

ModelCitizen
2008-11-20, 09:34
If a firmware update would permit simultaneous line-out/headphone use without disabling the internal speakers, it would be a huge improvement!
In the current SC 7.3 beta there is an option for Line Out to be enabled or disabled (and more). I think this'll do what you want.

Either get the (unsupported) nightly:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/
or wait until 7.3 is officially released (which shouldn't be more than a week or two... or a month... or so...).

MC

JimInPT
2008-11-20, 19:44
In the current SC 7.3 beta there is an option for Line Out to be enabled or disabled (and more). I think this'll do what you want.

MC

Great news - thanks for the info! I'll just wait for my SB to auto-update. I have a number of Logitech products and have almost always been impressed with support and interest in customer feedback and requests. In particular, they were absolutely stellar when I needed a semi-complicated custom macro for my Harmony One.

I can't recall such great support for acquired product lines (originally developed by another company) from Logitech competitors.

JimInPT
2008-12-01, 00:12

Either get the (unsupported) nightly:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/
or wait until 7.3 is officially released (which shouldn't be more than a week or two... or a month... or so...).

MC

I just downloaded/installed the 30 Nov build of this beta, and my SB updated its firmware automatically, to version 39, once I connected it to SqueezeCenter (I normally leave it on SqueezeNetwork; it's be nice if they rolled everything into one, eventually).

Under Settings/Audio/Line-Out there is now an Always On option (as well as Headphone, Subwoofer and Always Off) - is that the new feature we're looking for? Like a dolt, I didn't check this menu before upgrading the firmware, so I'm not sure, and don't have speakers to connect to it yet. From the looks of it, though, this will now enable me to drive wireless speakers in the bathroom from the LineOut jack without disabling the internal speakers. Cool beans!

EDIT: received wireless speakers yesterday, and they work great with the SB's new beta firmware! Just select Always On, and plugging in the external transmitter no longer silences the internal speakers. Just what I was looking for!