PDA

View Full Version : Headphone or subwoofer out

Paul Webster
2008-08-28, 09:37
Is there a way for SBB to determine that a jack has been inserted and for it to tell SqueezeCenter ... so that it can then automatically prompt yo ask if this is headphone or subwoofer (defaulting to whatever was the right answer last time)?

I ask because I can imagine that some users will not read the manual and not find the menu item - and then come here or to support to ask why things don't sound right.

seanadams
2008-08-28, 09:43
It doesn't prompt automatically, but that's a good idea. We do have the ability to detect if something is plugged in. If it's in sub mode, we use this detection to automatically enable a different high-pass filter for the internal woofers.

Phil Leigh
2008-08-28, 09:52
As an aside, I can confirm that the sub-out works well enough for the intended usage/market. When I'm outside playing music I use a cheap Creative Sub that just compensates for the normal loss of bass outside because there are no walls to "reinforce" the bass.

peterw
2008-08-28, 14:24
It doesn't prompt automatically, but that's a good idea. We do have the ability to detect if something is plugged in. If it's in sub mode, we use this detection to automatically enable a different high-pass filter for the internal woofers.

BTW, Boom definitely does *not* have anything like capacitance-based detection of something being connected (so it cannot tell if your subwoofer cable is plugged into your sub, only if something is plugged into Boom). Since the input is on the rear of the unit, you probably won't be plugging/unplugging very often.

Wait, you say -- why is the headphone jack on the rear?? This may be in Caleb's whitepaper, but IIUC the jack was originally intended to be a subwoofer output. The engineers realized that it could serve as a perfectly good headphone output, too, so they opted to do more work on the software & firmware and let customers use it either way.

seanadams
2008-08-28, 15:34
BTW, Boom definitely does *not* have anything like capacitance-based detection of something being connected (so it cannot tell if your subwoofer cable is plugged into your sub, only if something is plugged into Boom). Since the input is on the rear of the unit, you probably won't be plugging/unplugging very often.

That's correct

Wait, you say -- why is the headphone jack on the rear?? This may be in Caleb's whitepaper, but IIUC the jack was originally intended to be a subwoofer output. The engineers realized that it could serve as a perfectly good headphone output, too, so they opted to do more work on the software & firmware and let customers use it either way.

That was an interesting point in the design process. Caleb had originally contrapted a clever design where the subwoofer signal was mixed into to the internal tweeter channels (stay with me here..) and then an analog filter separated the two signals, sending one to the internal amplifier and one to the 3.5mm out. Then we realized we still had a spare i2s output on the DSP, and that we could throw a dedicated DAC in there for not much more than the cost of the other design. So the sub/headphone output ended up being two dedicated channels on which we can output anything we like.

ianstuart
2008-09-23, 15:21
I am interested in using my new Boom as a substitute for a receiver (as well as for its normal purpose) i.e. plug an adapter cable into the headphone socket and run it to dual RCA outputs to either an outside amplifier or powered speakers. Will this work ok?

ccrome2
2008-09-23, 16:17
Answered in the FAQ:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Boom_FAQ
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM, ianstuart <
ianstuart.3g7onn1222208703 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I am interested in using my new Boom as a substitute for a receiver (as
> well as for its normal purpose) i.e. plug an adapter cable into the
> headphone socket and run it to dual RCA outputs to either an outside
> amplifier or powered speakers. Will this work ok?
>
>
> --
> ianstuart
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ianstuart's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15917
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51610
>
>

JJZolx
2008-09-23, 16:50
I am interested in using my new Boom as a substitute for a receiver (as well as for its normal purpose) i.e. plug an adapter cable into the headphone socket and run it to dual RCA outputs to either an outside amplifier or powered speakers. Will this work ok?

Not if you want to play audio through the Boom's own speakers at the same time that you're playing through the external speakers. The closest you can get now is to use the headphone mode, which cuts audio to the Booom speakers.

The other is being worked on:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9051

ModelCitizen
2008-09-24, 03:13
Not if you want to play audio through the Boom's own speakers at the same time that you're playing through the external speakers. The closest you can get now is to use the headphone mode, which cuts audio to the Booom speakers.
The other is being worked on:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9051

And is scheduled for 7.2.1 too! Great.

You might well want to vote for this complementary bug too:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9357
which at this moment is scheduled for 7.3 strangely.

This will enable you to move the Line Out (output) selection item to the top level menu so you won't need to drill down into Settings > Audio > Line Out every time you want to change the output.

MC

Howard Passman
2008-09-24, 03:41

... is more succinctly, yes. And it works really well, at least with the AudioEngine A5's. I can't discern any difference between the boom and the Duet receiver.

Howard

soxfan
2008-09-25, 15:18
And is scheduled for 7.2.1 too! Great.

You might well want to vote for this complementary bug too:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9357
which at this moment is scheduled for 7.3 strangely.

This will enable you to move the Line Out (output) selection item to the top level menu so you won't need to drill down into Settings > Audio > Line Out every time you want to change the output.

MC
Just curious. In this thread, and in at least one other, it has been mentioned that bug/enhancement 9051, which would add functionality to the Line-out settings, is scheduled for 7.2.1. Yet when I looked at bugzilla it still shows a status of "NEW", nothing in the Resolution field, and most of the comments are requests for how it should work; nothing about it being fixed. Also, in the 7.2.1 nightly release notes there is no mention about this being included. So, with that in mind, is 7.2.1 just wishful thinking, or is there really a good chance it could be included by the time 7.2.1 is official? I'm anxious for this enhancement. Just don't want to get my hopes up if 7.2.1 is a long shot.

JJZolx
2008-09-25, 15:38
Just curious. In this thread, and in at least one other, it has been mentioned that bug/enhancement 9051, which would add functionality to the Line-out settings, is scheduled for 7.2.1. Yet when I looked at bugzilla it still shows a status of "NEW", nothing in the Resolution field, and most of the comments are requests for how it should work; nothing about it being fixed.

It's been set in the Target Milestone.

So, with that in mind, is 7.2.1 just wishful thinking, or is there really a good chance it could be included by the time 7.2.1 is official? I'm anxious for this enhancement. Just don't want to get my hopes up if 7.2.1 is a long shot.

Since Dean set the target, I'd say it's a better than even bet. Version 7.2.1 doesn't seem to be near release yet, so there's no reason to rule it out. There are probably dozens of fixes slated for 7.2.1 that haven't had any work done yet. Many of them will be pushed out further due to a lack of resources, technical problems, or a failure to agree on how something should work, but having a fixed target usually means that it's been agreed that it will happen at some point and hopefully it will be for the targeted version.

Things that require firmware updates tend to take longer, since there's only one person working on the player's firmware. Also, interim firmware updates aren't always released directly into beta testing, probably first going through some level of testing in QA and internally. Which is wise, since a bad firmware image could potentially brick a beta tester's player.

soxfan
2008-09-25, 17:58
Thanks for the info.

It's been set in the Target Milestone.
Just about every bug I looked at has a Target Milestone set. Wasn't sure how accurate that was.

Since Dean set the target, I'd say it's a better than even bet. Version 7.2.1 doesn't seem to be near release yet, so there's no reason to rule it out. There are probably dozens of fixes slated for 7.2.1 that haven't had any work done yet. Many of them will be pushed out further due to a lack of resources, technical problems, or a failure to agree on how something should work, but having a fixed target usually means that it's been agreed that it will happen at some point and hopefully it will be for the targeted version.
Didn't see any mention on the bug report that Dean set the target, but that's nice to know. I guess "near" and "soon" can be relative terms, and maybe this is a generic message, but right from the "Nightly Build" download page: "7.2.1 - This is a maintenance release of SqueezeCenter, to be released soon"

I guess I'll just patiently await the release of 7.2.1 and hope this enhancement makes it.

Thanks again,
John