PDA

View Full Version : Pricing?

kpfeif
2008-08-28, 08:56
Ok, just thinking out loud here. The Boom is priced at a VERY competitive $299. Meanwhile, the "classic" Squeezebox is at that same price point. Surely the SB has some audio advantages over the Boom, but then again, the Boom is complete with a set of speakers and amps to drive them. I see people having a problem paying $299 for the SB.

Will we see some price changes in the near future? I'm betting yes.

Siduhe
2008-08-28, 09:16
Identical discussion going on here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=50760&highlight=amazon&page=21) (see post #206 down). Amazon have been selling them cheaper for a little while already.

toby10
2008-08-29, 05:03
Ok, just thinking out loud here. The Boom is priced at a VERY competitive $299. Meanwhile, the "classic" Squeezebox is at that same price point. Surely the SB has some audio advantages over the Boom, but then again, the Boom is complete with a set of speakers and amps to drive them. I see people having a problem paying $299 for the SB.

Will we see some price changes in the near future? I'm betting yes.

As has been mentioned it appears the SB3 has indeed dropped in price to about $235 retail. However, as nice as the Boom is, I think many people (myself included) would gladly pay the same $299 for the speaker-less and amp-less SB3 for dedicated AV use. I would have no interest in having a boom box on my AV rack. :)

EDIT: Unless I'm not reading the Boom specs properly the Boom has no audio outs (other than a sub out).
Lacking audio outs (L/R, Optical, Digital Coax) is yet another reason many of us would gladly pay the full $299 for an SB3. :)

Mnyb
2008-08-29, 05:25
Also consider that SB3 is designed with older technology, new things tends to be cheaper and better in many cases.

One migth speculate that the SB3 was designed for a much smaller series, thus BOM per unit is higher.
The SB3 ( classic ) display is said to be a costly part.

The new BOOM is very aggressively marketed Logitech are probaly aiming at much higher volumes than before, thus the price can be kept down.

I still thinks the SB3 pricing is still ok it is exactly what i want in my main stereo, well not realy ;-)
I do want a unit that can stream 96kHz but not a transporter as I'm in no need for it's high end dac's and exclusive analog circuitry, I already have that in my high-end surround processor

Pale Blue Ego
2008-08-29, 06:58
I do want a unit that can stream 96kHz but not a transporter as I'm in no need for it's high end dac's and exclusive analog circuitry, I already have that in my high-end surround processor

Yes! A full-width component in a metal case with digital outputs only. 24/96 capable and a full-width VFD. $500. I'm in.

Matt Wise
2008-08-29, 10:27
Yes! A full-width component in a metal case with digital outputs only. 24/96 capable and a full-width VFD. $500. I'm in.

Vote for this bug: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5198

It'd be nice if the SB3/Ray/Etc could take that stream....