PDA

View Full Version : Boom vs AudioEngine Ax

powaq
2008-08-28, 08:52
This SB boom (SBB?) seems great !
For my bedroom, the choice is now AudioEngine Ax/SB3 or SBboom ?

So the question is : how does the SB boom sound compared to an AudioEngine A2(even A5) ??

An other question : is the wifi reception of the SBB better than the one in the SB3 ? Because my SB3 has some difficulties with FLAC streaming(not MP3) in my bedroom.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 09:04
This SB boom (SBB?) seems great !
For my bedroom, the choice is now AudioEngine Ax/SB3 or SBboom ?

So the question is : how does the SB boom sound compared to an AudioEngine A2(even A5) ??

radish answered this pretty succinctly here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=333231&postcount=5

He didn't compare it to the A5s. The A5s are some serious speakers but Boom still has circuitry custom-designed to power its speakers.

An other question : is the wifi reception of the SBB better than the one in the SB3 ? Because my SB3 has some difficulties with FLAC streaming(not MP3) in my bedroom.

The desire was to have networking as good as the SB2, which has an external antenna. In my experience, it's almost as good as an SB2. Yes, it's better than an SB3.

seanadams
2008-08-28, 09:06
In fact just a couple days ago I got hold of a pair of A2s and compared them to boom.

The A2s are good looking, well built speakers. However, they can't be compared directly with Boom because even though they use the same size drivers and have similar internal volume, acoustically they are very different because of their ported enclosure. This gives a spike in the bass response at whatever that tuned frequency is. Boom on the other hand, has a flat frequency response. That's not to say the bass is weak - far from it. Only that it isn't inherently emphasized by the physics of its enclosure. And a sealed woofer means tighter, more accurate bass (at the expense of efficiency). IMHO Boom is leagues better than the A2 in terms of clarity and detail, and really I think this is to be expected given its bi-amplified design and use of DSP crossovers. These are the same design elements that go into modern $$$$ active monitors, and there's good reason for it! Admittedly I have not done a controlled listening test against the A2s in particular (we have for several other products though). I also haven't measured them yet, so my thoughts about the frequency response is just what I gathered by ear.

As Mr Lanctot points out, Boom also has a tremendous amount of signal processing capability that does not exist in consumer amplified speaker systems. What this does is it allows us, for example, to adjust woofer cutoff frequencies to allow more bass extension (that means to reach lower frequencies in spite of the speaker's natural slope) when playing at lower SPLs (where it's physically possible to do so). We can also do anything we want with crossover frequencies and levels, equalization, etc.

So, I think A2s are a great speaker and I can totally understand why people like them so much. But I think they will like Boom even better! :)

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 10:08

Forum member iPhone has A5s and was also a beta tester. Perhaps he could share his thoughts?

iPhone
2008-08-28, 15:08
Forum member iPhone has A5s and was also a beta tester. Perhaps he could share his thoughts?

I have heard the A2s (so this will be from memory) but don't own a pair. I do have the A5s. I would have to echo Sean's comments on the A2s. A great small powered speaker to match with an SB3 or Duet, but for the money and amount of sound as well as quality of sound, the Boom is a better deal and has a more accurate even sounding presentation. The only column the Boom doesn't win over the A2 is in physical stereo separation (even though the StereoXL is very close).

So in my opinion, I think it comes down to better sound for less total dollars and where one is going to listen to the Boom. For after all, the Boom is very multi-purpose. Does the Boom sound good in the living room? You bet it does, but it is not intended to do what Vandersteen Model 3As and a Duet can do in that same room.

Compared to the A5s, it comes down to the room size and how much separation is available in the listening position and how far away one is from the listening position. In a small to medium room with a close listening position, the Boom beats the A5s fairly easily. Add a sub-woofer in a medium to large room and the Boom will give the A5s a good run for the money.

In closing if you already have a Duet or SB3, the A2s and A5s are a good choice to pair with them. If you are deciding between that combo and a Boom not yet owning anything, the choice is clearly the Boom IMHO.

awy
2008-08-29, 01:12
I have a pair of A2s and an SB3 in the bedroom. It is a large room and they are about 4m from the centre of the bed. I prefer them over there, rather than having a Boom next to the bed where it is either too loud or too quiet for one of us. They sound great when you wind up the volume but have too much bass when listening at low volumes, especially to speech radio (which we do a lot).

We have a Boom in the kitchen and its flatter response if definitely better across all volume ranges.

powaq
2008-08-29, 10:28
Thanks for this valuable feedback !
Now, where is my credit card ? :-)

PS : I guess AudioEngine guys won't be very happy with this new "boom" (very strange name by the way).

simbo
2008-08-29, 10:38
PS : I guess AudioEngine guys won't be very happy with this new "boom" (very strange name by the way).
No... especially as (and correct me if I'm wrong) the A2's were designed with the SB3 in mind. I'm sure I read somewhere* that SD (pre-Logitech) and AE worked together initially on the A2s but the Logitech buyout put it on ice.

* On the interweb no less - that most credible of sources.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-29, 11:35
PS : I guess AudioEngine guys won't be very happy with this new "boom"

Well the AudioEngines are good, but they can't compete with a component that has a DSP that's actively correcting the speakers it's connected to...this is usually done for megabuck active monitors.

Also Logitech sells many speakers on their own. These are Logitech-sourced drivers although it looks very much like they were specifically designed for Boom due to their unusually thick rear section.

(very strange name by the way).

A lot of people were requesting a boombox, so...

dean
2008-08-29, 11:53
On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Also Logitech sells many speakers on their own. These are
> Logitech-sourced drivers although it looks very much like they were
> specifically designed for Boom due to their unusually thick rear
> section.
Exactly right. The driver set was one that was designed by our
friends in the Audio BU and is used in a number of existing Logitech
products.

CatBus
2008-09-01, 19:51
I'm assuming from this thread that if you're considering outdoor use, it's still better to go with the A5's over the built-in Boom speakers, due to the A5's just having more power, correct?

seanadams
2008-09-01, 21:30
I'm assuming from this thread that if you're considering outdoor use, it's still better to go with the A5's over the built-in Boom speakers, due to the A5's just having more power, correct?

The A5s are louder no doubt - they're twice the size. But that size and the non-portability (cables etc) of the whole setup makes it not just a "bigger Boom".

jo-wie
2008-09-02, 00:49
On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Also Logitech sells many speakers on their own. These are
> Logitech-sourced drivers although it looks very much like they were
> specifically designed for Boom due to their unusually thick rear
> section.
Exactly right. The driver set was one that was designed by our
friends in the Audio BU and is used in a number of existing Logitech
products.

Did I see the drivers in the Z10 PC Speakers? I do not have the size in mind. I've buyed them for my daughters PC and I was really surprised about the sound quality.

dean
2008-09-02, 06:56
On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:49 AM, jo-wie wrote:

>
> dean;333919 Wrote:
>> On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
>>> Also Logitech sells many speakers on their own. These are
>>> Logitech-sourced drivers although it looks very much like they were
>>> specifically designed for Boom due to their unusually thick rear
>>> section.
>> Exactly right. The driver set was one that was designed by our
>> friends in the Audio BU and is used in a number of existing Logitech
>> products.
>
> Did I see the drivers in the Z10 PC Speakers? I do not have the size
> in
> mind. I've buyed them for my daughters PC and I was really surprised
> about the sound quality.
Yes, that product uses the same drivers.

ccrome2
2008-09-02, 08:00
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM, dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>wrote:

>
> On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:49 AM, jo-wie wrote:
>
>
> > Did I see the drivers in the Z10 PC Speakers? I do not have the size in
> > mind. I've buyed them for my daughters PC and I was really surprised
> > about the sound quality.
>

> Yes, that product uses the same drivers.
>

Almost -- the tweeters in boom are 3/4", as opposed to 1".

jo-wie
2008-09-02, 09:06
On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:49 AM, jo-wie wrote:

>
> Did I see the drivers in the Z10 PC Speakers? I do not have the size
> in
> mind. I've buyed them for my daughters PC and I was really surprised
> about the sound quality.
Yes, that product uses the same drivers.

If the sound is in some way similiar to the Z-10 - great! Not to compare to any of those whom, whom ,whom only speakers. Best when USB connected.

Maybe a way to get an idea of the sound quality of the SBB, I guess in the moment a Z-10 is found easier in the shops than a SBB.

Correct me when I'm wrong and this units should not be compared.

ccrome2
2008-09-02, 13:53
The Z-10 does not have the same signal processing, is a ported design, and
uses different tweeters.

However, in general, they should be similar to a first approximation.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:06 AM, jo-wie <
jo-wie.3f4ban1220371802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> dean;335686 Wrote:
> > On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:49 AM, jo-wie wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Did I see the drivers in the Z10 PC Speakers? I do not have the size
> >
> > > in
> > > mind. I've buyed them for my daughters PC and I was really surprised
> > > about the sound quality.
> > Yes, that product uses the same drivers.
>
> If the sound is in some way similiar to the Z-10 - great! Not to
> compare to any of those whom, whom ,whom only speakers. Best when USB
> connected.
>
> Maybe a way to get an idea of the sound quality of the SBB, I guess in
> the moment a Z-10 is found easier in the shops than a SBB.
>
> Correct me when I'm wrong and this units should not be compared.
>
>
> --
> jo-wie
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> jo-wie's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17952
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51604
>
>

jo-wie
2008-09-02, 23:40
uses different tweeters.

However, in general, they should be similar to a first approximation.

Full ack. I would never expect to get an identical sound from different systems. My questions is if the general sound design is similar. Do somebody have both systems in use?

jo-wie
2008-09-06, 08:44
uses different tweeters.

Hehe, but the first Boom had a very similar sounding ;-)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52028

sand
2008-09-11, 01:05
This sounds very interesting.. I have a setup with SB3+AE5 in the living room and also the same setup in the kitchen.

It seems to me that you are all saying that the sound quality is the same or even better with the boom than with my setup(?)

Given that the boom is about half the price compared to a SB3+AE5 and also the difference in size.. I am not convinced yet, but definitely intrerested..

Howard Passman
2008-09-11, 09:04
This sounds very interesting.. I have a setup with SB3+AE5 in the living room and also the same setup in the kitchen.

It seems to me that you are all saying that the sound quality is the same or even better with the boom than with my setup(?)

Given that the boom is about half the price compared to a SB3+AE5 and also the difference in size.. I am not convinced yet, but definitely intrerested..

I love my Boom, **but** if I could only have one or the other I would definitely have the SBR and the A5's. To say that the A5's are only louder is misleading. Having said that, I don't say and have never said the A5's sound great. I have said they sound great for their size.

One of the first things I tested with my Boom was how it sounded hooked to the A5's. It sounds appreciably better at room and outdoor levels. I will admit at lower levels and close quarters the boom sounds better because of the sound staging. However, when you move away from the boom you not only lose the sound staging, but any stereo effect at all.

So anyway, that's my opinion. And I do love my Boom even though it didn't bother to wake me up this morning. I looked in the log and it said something about knowing I was tired and needed to sleep in :-)

Howard

iPhone
2008-09-11, 11:22

I don't know if I am the source of the confusion or not.

What I have been saying is that Boom is a great choice for the right area and correct size room. But most importantly, if one owns no Squeezeboxes yet and is deciding between an SB3/Duet with A2s, take a long look at the Boom first because the Boom wins in almost every case as well as costs a lot less. And depending on the room and the application, the same goes for the A5s except that it is much harder for the Boom to win out against the A5s (other then price and convenience) as the room gets larger and the listening position gets farther from the source.

sand
2008-09-11, 23:52
OK, thank you both for your input!

I'll wait and see which setup fits me best, when I need music in another room later on.

Thanks again.

esbrewer
2008-09-17, 16:54
In my experience the A2s have a bit more grunt and power - while the Boom is much more linear and refined. I enjoy using them both.

I think its more interesting to consider what these products have in common however:

1. Designed in the US.
2. Sound quality that satisfies even many of the audiophiles in this forum for something more than casual listening.
3. A modest, reasonable price.
4. Obvious attention to quality in design, construction, and function.
5. And finally (and unfortunately) a relatively low profile in the retail market for consumer electronics. I hope the Boom doesn't remain confined to the same enthusiast niche that the SB3 and Transporter serve so well.

maggior
2008-09-18, 08:55
5. And finally (and unfortunately) a relatively low profile in the retail market for consumer electronics. I hope the Boom doesn't remain confined to the same enthusiast niche that the SB3 and Transporter serve so well.

It seems Logitech is trying to address this issue. Best Buy has them on the sales floor. They are even starting to make appearances here on the east coast (at least according to what their stock shows on their website). Circuit City has the duet in the stores. Perhaps Boom will follow there too.