PDA

View Full Version : Hum, Buzz & Suitability as an Alarm Clock

elziko
2008-08-28, 08:38
This is mainly aimed at the Beta testers I suppose.

I know that one of the main features of the SBB is it's use as an alarm clock but I was wondering if when you have both the power supply and actual SBB next to your bed can you hear any humming or buzzing at all?

Thanks

simbo
2008-08-28, 08:42
Note in the audio design document that Dean posted: "Production units have foam around the wires to prevent buzzing."

This is obviously an area that they've been keen to address and based on my experience with SD, I'm sure an area they've succeeded in.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 08:43
No hiss or hum here.

If you press your ear directly to the speaker grille there's a faint hiss, but I sleep 12-18" away from it with the speaker aimed directly at my left ear and I can't hear it at night - and I'm a light sleeper.

The power supply is a switching power supply and doesn't make any noise at all.

boom@lists.slimdevices.com
2008-08-28, 09:03
On Aug 28, 2008, at 8:43 AM, boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com wrote:
> If you press your ear directly to the speaker grille there's a faint
> hiss, but I sleep 12-18" away from it with the speaker aimed directly
> at my left ear and I can't hear it at night - and I'm a light sleeper.

This very quiet hiss was discovered just a day or two ago and we'll do
our best to address it in a future software update.

There was a LOT of work done to minimize buzz, hum and hiss. I may be
a bit biased but I think Boom sounds amazing, especially considering
the price.

MeSue
2008-08-28, 09:04
I can confirm what Mark says. I used it 2 feet from my head while sleeping for a while and it never had a hum or buzz. I now keep it across the room from my bed but that is only for ease of accessing a power outlet because I move it around a lot.

Michaelwagner
2008-08-28, 09:19
I am a light sleeper, mine is across the room, and neither the sound nor the light bothers me at night. It auto-dims (in case no one mentioned that yet).

Matt Wise
2008-08-28, 09:28
Mine is about 4ft from the bed on a shelf facing me... and I am a VERY light sleeper (usually up most of the night). The VFD gets just dark enough that it doesnt bother me, but is still readable when I wake up. There is zero noise coming from the Boom as far as I can tell.

Also the alarm fades-on, which is a very nice touch because I can quickly get up and turn it off before it wakes my wife up too much...

MeSue
2008-08-28, 09:39
Yes, the auto-dimming is wonderful. I am very fussy about having any light in the room while sleeping and the dimness of the Boom at night is just right. I've replaced my SB2 with the Boom in the bedroom because of the auto-dimming.

iPhone
2008-08-28, 09:46
This is mainly aimed at the Beta testers I suppose.

I know that one of the main features of the SBB is it's use as an alarm clock but I was wondering if when you have both the power supply and actual SBB next to your bed can you hear any humming or buzzing at all?

Thanks

With the outboard switching power supply and the use of digital amps, I have never heard any buzzing or humming from my Boom. They did a great job and knew what type of places folks were going to put them into. I really enjoy using the Boom to get to sleep. Just put some nature tracks on, set the sleep, and drift away. No worry that my Stereo Receiver is on all night like when I used the SB3.

peterw
2008-08-28, 14:53
I really enjoy using the Boom to get to sleep. Just put some nature tracks on, set the sleep, and drift away. No worry that my Stereo Receiver is on all night like when I used the SB3.

Gratuitous self-promotion: I think anybody using the sleep mode should check out my SleepFade plugin. I use it frequently with the SN nature sounds to help my toddler go to sleep and ensure the sound fades out more gradually. I can't take credit for the idea (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32664) but I sure do find it handy.

Oh, and you should look at IR Blaster, Power Switch, and PowerCenter for that stereo receiver!

mrthreeplates
2008-08-31, 21:04
Mine (new production unit) has a buzz when off, very low in level, probably not enough to disturb sleep. However, if there was a bug/enh for this to be fixed, I'd vote for it. It would be great if this could be fixed in software.

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 04:45
You mean coming from the speakers right? Yes, we know about that and can
fix it in software :-)

I love having everything software controlled :-)

By buzz, do you mean a very low level hiss coming from the speakers?

-C

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:04 PM, mrthreeplates <
mrthreeplates.3f1j2b1220241902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Mine (new production unit) has a buzz when off, very low in level,
> probably not enough to disturb sleep. However, if there was a bug/enh
> for this to be fixed, I'd vote for it. It would be great if this could
> be fixed in software.
>
>
> --
> mrthreeplates
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> mrthreeplates's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=565
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51601
>
>

Mnyb
2008-09-01, 06:17
As other posters had mentioned, is it sensitive to cell phone chatter ?
I'm having my phone on 24/7 due to my jobb, so if used as alarm clock the BOOM could be near my mobile phone.

You now what sound i'm meaning the chatter you hear in you crummy PC speakers when your cell is "phoning home" or whatever it does time to time to stay conected with base.

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 06:45
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Mnyb <
Mnyb.3f28rb1220275202 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> As other posters had mentioned, is it sensitive to cell phone chatter ?
> I'm having my phone on 24/7 due to my jobb, so if used as alarm clock
> the BOOM could be near my mobile phone.
>
> You now what sound i'm meaning the chatter you hear in you crummy PC
> speakers when your cell is "phoning home" or whatever it does time to
> time to stay conected with base.

Boy! do I know what you're talking about. I used to work on IP Phones, and
lemme tell you, ECM microphones can be really sensitive to this noise.

I tested Boom with a few cell phones right up on the boom, with no issues.
I can't guarantee that under every condition it will be silent, I have never
been able to induce any audible noise induced by consumer RF devices. (I
put in some special RF components explicitly for rejecting RF noise at the
inputs/outputs).

-C

Skunk
2008-09-01, 06:46
As other posters had mentioned, is it sensitive to cell phone chatter ?

I haven't tested thoroughly, but my Boom isn't sensitive to chatter. My PC speakers and speakers in the main system do chatter if the phone is close enough, but I couldn't make the Boom chatter no matter how close the phone was.

I turned the phone on/off multiple times, which always triggers the other devices, and even once with the phone sitting on the power brick itself. Not a peep. I never had the problem with Sprint (CDMA network), but switched to ATT (GSM network) and started noticing it.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-01, 06:48
You know what sound i'm meaning the chatter you hear in you crummy PC speakers when your cell is "phoning home" or whatever it does time to time to stay conected with base.
I've had my phone up against the Boom many a night whilst I've spent long periods listening on headphones and I've never heard the Boom make the noise you refer to.

I've had a Boom for nearly two months. In this time it has always been situated next to my bed. When I am in bed it is two feet from my head. I've used it a lot. I've never noticed any extraneous noise emitting from the speakers (hum, buzz, mobile phone chatter... or anything!). Unless I've deliberately called up music or speech it has been entirely silent.

Hopefully that's clear.

MC

dwilliams01
2008-09-01, 07:01
I purposely put my ATT blackberry (GPRS/EDGE) in direct contact with the top, bottom, and all sides of the boom and forced e-mail reconcilliatoin as well as calling it (when the bb was in quiet mode so no ring or vibrate) and could not detect any sound from the boom at all - ever.

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 07:20
Great to hear all! This is exactly what I expect :-)

-Caleb

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 7:01 AM, dwilliams01 <
dwilliams01.3f2aub1220277902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I purposely put my ATT blackberry (GPRS/EDGE) in direct contact with the
> top, bottom, and all sides of the boom and forced e-mail reconcilliatoin
> as well as calling it (when the bb was in quiet mode so no ring or
> vibrate) and could not detect any sound from the boom at all - ever.
>
>
> --
> dwilliams01
> dwilliams01's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10988
>
>

Mnyb
2008-09-01, 07:40
Thank you ! another point scored we have GSM here in Sweden these days.
God to know that this tested bravo.

mrthreeplates
2008-09-01, 08:41
In response to the question above, I did mean a low level, constant hiss from both speakers. I'm sure it is the same as what others have noticed.

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 08:51
Good. That will go away in the future.

-Caleb

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:41 AM, mrthreeplates <
mrthreeplates.3f2fgz1220283903 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> In response to the question above, I did mean a low level, constant hiss
> from both speakers. I'm sure it is the same as what others have
> noticed.
>
>
> --
> mrthreeplates
> mrthreeplates's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=565
>
>

Cry Havok
2008-09-01, 09:28
Good. That will go away in the future.

-Caleb

Darn you, that means I'm going to have to buy one in the future (and then move my existing SB3 downstairs) ;)