PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

dean
2008-08-28, 08:10
Hi All,

Speaking for the folks in the community that have been involved in the development of Squeezebox Boom, I'd like to say how excited we are about this new product.

There is some information about Boom on www.slimdevices.com and a bit more on http://wiki.slimdevices.com/ , but there's still more to discuss and explain. There's a lot in that little package.

I'd like to specifically invite the folks who were part of the private beta program for Boom to post here about their experiences with Boom.

Thanks to everyone in the community for making this possible.

Let's go!

-dean

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 08:20
I'd like to specifically invite the folks who were part of the private beta program for Boom to post here about their experiences with Boom.

In that vein, I posted as much as I could about Boom here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=333184&postcount=208

As for impressions, well, really, Boom must be heard to be believed. It sounds fantastic for its size.

Sound is subjective of course, but I can't see how anyone would be disappointed in how Boom sounds.

Michaelwagner
2008-08-28, 08:32
Carried over from another thread:

For those who have had a play already, I'd be keen to know how these speakers compare to the Audioengine A2's.

I can't compare to A2s, but I spent an afternoon listening to disco and I'm currently listening to Ace of Base.

I can tell it's not my living room system. The base isn't the same as a dedicated sub-woofer. But for the package, and where it's sitting (on a dressing table, in a bedroom with it's own accoustic problems) it's amazingly detailed and clear. Hard to imagine all that's coming out of 3" speakers.

Pale Blue Ego
2008-08-28, 08:42
The White Paper is very informative and interesting. It looks like the engineers went to great lengths to build a high-quality and flexible architecture:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

radish
2008-08-28, 08:48
I can't compare to A2s, but I spent an afternoon listening to disco and I'm currently listening to Ace of Base.

Just copying over my response to the A2 question from the other thread...

I have the A2's, the Boom sounds better, particularly in the bass. One thing the A2s have going for them is seperation (as they can obviously be moved further apart) but the StereoXL processing on the Boom does a pretty good job of widening the soundstage.

Paul_B
2008-08-28, 08:49
I agree with that comment. The whitepaper discusses a lot of things I don't understand about audio. But it does show the same attention to detail in the rest of the Squeeze family has gone into the Boom.

Dav28
2008-08-28, 09:00
It looks great.
I presume it works like an extra receiver right? So you can control it with the SBC and sync it with other receivers?

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 09:00
It looks great.
I presume it works like an extra receiver right? So you can control it with the SBC and sync it with other receivers?

Yes, to SqueezeCenter it looks very much like an SB3.

It can be synched and it can be controlled with a controller.

urbanshepherd
2008-08-28, 09:05
Like many, I've been waiting for this device for a while. Doesn't appear to have shown up in any UK shops as yet (though slimdevices are saying shipping).

Normally I wait a while before purchasing, but the child in me has got out!

bpa
2008-08-28, 09:07
Boom also makes a very good alarm clock with all the new alarm feature in 7.2 and a snooze/sleep button on top.

The display can also go very dim and volume can go very low for nighttime listening.

iPhone
2008-08-28, 09:17
Hi All,

Speaking for the folks in the community that have been involved in the development of Squeezebox Boom, I'd like to say how excited we are about this new product.

There is some information about Boom on www.slimdevices.com and a bit more on http://wiki.slimdevices.com/ , but there's still more to discuss and explain. There's a lot in that little package.

Thanks to everyone in the community for making this possible.

Let's go!

-dean

The whole experience has been great and thanks to Slim Devices for letting me try to break their product to improve it.

During the Beta Testing, I had the Boom mounted on a wall, under a glass shelf (no room on shelves), under a kitchen cabinet, on a desk, on the kitchen countertop, on top of the frig, on a bedside night stand, and under the shelf of the waterbed headboard. There was not a single time that I was not pleased with the sound. Certain mounting are better then others and these mainly seem to improve the bass slightly and overall sound because the better locations tend to be with the speakers facing the listening position (as would be with any system). As an example, under the shelf of the waterbed headboard is great of whole bedroom listening, but not the best choice when laying in bed (although great for using the Sleep Function and reaching the Snooze Bar!).

The new multiple alarm features are very useable. Did I mention the Snooze Bar that is not on any other Slim Device?! Handy for use in the bedroom as an alarm. The better half really enjoys going to sleep using the sleep function while listening to a surf or rain forest track. It is nice knowing that an amp or receiver is not going to be on all night once the music shuts off automatically.

The Boom is handy to take out to the pool, on the deck, or out to the garage. There is no handle, but the design lends itself well to being carried by putting ones hand on top of the unit behind the Snooze Bar with ones fingers holding under the indent area where the cables go. It is nice to only deal with the Boom and its switching PS. If one buys the proper DC cable, the Boom can be carefully hooked up to a rechargeable drill battery (12 to 18 VDC) and run several hours without an AC plug.

The Boom played and sounded well with all types of music. Rock and Pop was a no brainer. I was worried that the bass demands of Jazz and Classical would be to much for the Boom, but was surprised at how well it sounded and that I could listen for hours to Jazz on the little box. I thought on Jazz and Classical that it was going to be like listening to an iPod plugged ito one of those small docking speakers. The Boom couldn't get any further away from those docking stations in sound quality. It was overkill, but I put my Earthquake SuperNova MKIV on the sub out and was shocked again at just what the DSP was able to do (even though it seems a little silly to use a sub that costs 3 times as much as the Boom).

I was also one of the Beta Boom Bracket testers (as one might tell from all the places I mounted the Boom). The bracket is very useable and heavy duty. It is not going to bend or move when using the knob or pressing a function button. Which reminds me, has anybody mentioned that the Boom has Six Favorites preset buttons under the display? The whole bracket assembly is used to under cabinet mount the Boom and only the bracket "L" that actually attaches to the Boom is used to for wall mounting.

I think the Boom could also find a home at work if folks are allowed to connect back home to their servers or to MP3Locker.

Again I really enjoy the Boom and plan on getting one for my wife's office and one for the kitchen to go with the one that is now at home in the bedroom.

Matt Wise
2008-08-28, 09:33
I think the Boom could also find a home at work if folks are allowed to connect back home to their servers or to MP3Locker.

Funny you mention that... I have a small collection (5700 songs or so) of FLAC albums I've ripped and I like to listen to them in the office. I just opened up the right ports (3483, 9000) and my boom easily connects home and streams all my music. In fact, for the first few weeks I didnt have LAME installed and I was actually streaming full FLAC over the internet to the SlimDevices office!

My wife has already requested one for her office so that she can do the same thing!

Phil Leigh
2008-08-28, 09:55
Like many, I've been waiting for this device for a while. Doesn't appear to have shown up in any UK shops as yet (though slimdevices are saying shipping).

Feed the child - he will be grateful :o)
Seriously, I think you'll like it.
The sound quality is very nice for such a compact unit. I'm struggling to think of anything that size that works as well...

Richie
2008-08-28, 10:02

I've just placed my order through the logitech.co.uk website so there's nothing stopping you now.

Richard

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 10:04
The new multiple alarm features are very useable.

Yes - 7.2 now features multiple alarms per day configurable for any day of the week. In my mind, this is the best feature of 7.2 and it's something that really enhances Boom's use as an alarm clock.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 11:08
Oh and a few other things I haven't heard mentioned yet...

In addition to Boom being surprisingly heavy, it has grippy feet that stick it like glue to most surfaces. It's also angled backwards, so if you push on the controls at the front, it will not slide at all.

This sounds like a small thing but believe me you'll want to use the buttons and knob (which pushes in) if you're using it as an alarm clock and it would be infuriating if it slid back every time you pressed a control. No worries on that front.

It's been mentioned the remote is magnetic. Its "home" is a recess behind the snooze button on top. There's a metal plate underneath and the snooze button and remote recess are rubber so the remote holds on tight enough that it won't slide off if you move Boom. (At least, not for me.) I didn't use the remote much since I use Boom as an alarm clock. It's much smaller than the existing remotes and much thinner (powered by an included CR2032 coin cell). Works fine for me.

All buttons on the front panel are backlit, including the ring around the knob. A nice touch is only the power button is (dimly) backlit when Boom is in the off state, which makes turning Boom on in the dark easy.

And I mentioned it before, but the knob is very, very nice. Great solid detents and a nice solid click when you push it in. Even the material it's coated with is perfect - tacky for grip but not sticky. Very easy to use with even one finger.

whdean
2008-08-28, 11:22
Can the SB Boom be set to display time as the "off" screensaver, so that it could fully replace a clock radio on a bedside table? I don't see anything about the ability to use plug-ins in the manual.

I use SuperDateTime on my SB3's. The boom would be perfect for my wife, but unless it could also show time when off, she wouldn't be able to chuck her clock radio.

thanks.

radish
2008-08-28, 11:26
As others have said, it looks very much like the SB3 to SC. Thus, you can use screensavers etc in just the same way. The only caveat is that the screen is a different size, so some will need some tweaking to work properly. SuperDateTime already works well :)

Also, if it loses the SC connection it defaults to a simple time display.

JJZolx
2008-08-28, 11:26
Can the SB Boom be set to display time as the "off" screensaver, so that it could fully replace a clock radio on a bedside table? I don't see anything about the ability to use plug-ins in the manual.

I use SuperDateTime on my SB3's. The boom would be perfect for my wife, but unless it could also show time when off, she wouldn't be able to chuck her clock radio.

Yes, it's no different than a Squeezebox in that respect.

Phil Leigh
2008-08-28, 11:27

thanks.

Yes - time is shown when "off"
and yes - takes plugins just fine!

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 11:27

thanks.

Sure, that's how I've used it since the start.

The advantage of Boom over the other players is that it will keep displaying the time even if you turn your server off. It'll even sound an alarm if there's a scheduled alarm and your server is still off. Boom still has to be powered, of course.

Unfortunately it can't use SuperDateTime or any other SC plugin when the server is off, but it will give you a time display.

dean
2008-08-28, 11:28
On Aug 28, 2008, at 11:22 AM, whdean wrote:

> Can the SB Boom be set to display time as the "off" screensaver, so
> that
> it could fully replace a clock radio on a bedside table?
That's the default behavior!

> I don't see
> anything about the ability to use plug-ins in the manual.
Same plugins that work with SqueezeCenter should work with Boom,
though a few may need to be updated to adjust for the smaller screen.

>

WSLam
2008-08-28, 11:47
The White Paper is very informative and interesting. It looks like the engineers went to great lengths to build a high-quality and flexible architecture:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

It is truly refreshing to see that Slim Devices has unkept their no-BS approach to everything they do. Even for a 299 boombox, the white paper clearly shows that they have cut no corners.

One of the 'future' enhancements may be room correction. Can you believe a US299 boombox has built in room correction!?

Good job! (again)

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 12:06
One of the 'future' enhancements may be room correction. Can you believe a US299 boombox has built in room correction!?

For anyone else who hasn't read the white paper, other items Caleb mentions:

Future Enhancements

There are several future enhancements that we would like to make to the Squeezebox Boom that didn’t make it in for the first software release.

• Loudness filter. The loudness filter is a dynamic filter that compensates for the loss of sensitivity at low SPL levels, depending on the volume setting. As the volume is turned down, the bass needs to be boosted in order to maintain spectral balance.
• Midnight mode. This mode would apply dynamic range compression when the volume is turned very low, and perhaps disable the loudness filter. The idea is that when the volume is very low, dynamic range compression may be used so that quiet passages in a track remain audible. It will also disable loudness, preventing low frequency sound from permeating the house and disturbing family and friends.
• Dynamic range compression. When listening to music in noisy environments, applying dynamic range compression is a good thing – as with midnight mode, it allows quiet passages to remain audible over the noise.
• Automatic room equalization. We could enable this by sending tones out to the room and having the user check several listening locations. We’d measure the energy and create compensating filters. This will only really work below 300-500 Hz, but it can be quite effective in that range.

Most importantly, feedback from our customers will guide us toward what enhancements, fixes, or corrections need to be implemented, and these can be added in regular software updates. For some changes, there won’t be any DSP or firmware related changes necessary, since DSP configuration commands can be sent directly from the streaming server.

I didn't want to mention this because I can't speak for Caleb, but it is all there in the white paper. This is what the DSP makes possible.

I highly recommend the white paper to anyone interested. It's not overly technical and it's very readable.

seanadams
2008-08-28, 12:16
It'll even sound an alarm if there's a scheduled alarm and your server is still off. Boom still has to be powered, of course.

It does have a separate RTC chip, with a supercap for backup power, so the clock continues running for a few days even if the power goes off. Power is required to sound the alarm though. We figured that a pretty likely scenario would be:

1. power fails in the middle of the night
2. Boom keeps clock running until power returns
3. power comes back, but server does not boot
4. Boom can still sound the alarm (assuming power has come back on) because of its local RTC.

Paul_B
2008-08-28, 13:22
Wow you guys spend so much time thinking how things should work, do you ever get out ;o)

One question are we likely to see an accesory that allows a Li_ion battery to power it?

urbanshepherd
2008-08-28, 13:41
I've just placed my order through the logitech.co.uk website so there's nothing stopping you now.

Richard

Completely forgot about that route. Consider it bought!

Cheers.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-28, 14:05
One question are we likely to see an accesory that allows a Li_ion battery to power it?

Not officially - although Boom is fairly power efficient for what it does, there are just too many power-hungry components for batteries: the VFD, the wireless card, the amplifiers.

Unofficially you can indeed power it using batteries designed for portable power tools. It's DIY, it requires soldering, it's not pretty but it powers Boom for a few hours.

Mark Miksis
2008-08-28, 14:10

Yeah, this seems unlikely based on discussions that took place during beta. I wonder if Logitech marketing is doing anything proactive to encourage third party accessories?

bpa
2008-08-28, 14:35
one of these batteries may provide a near off the shelf solution albeit a bit expensively.

http://www.batterygeek.net/BG_6_12_44_Portable_DVD_Player_Battery_Pack_p/bg6-12-50.htm

pfarrell
2008-08-28, 21:37
Paul_B wrote:
> One question are we likely to see an accesory that allows a Li_ion
> battery to power it?

The label says 30 watts input, which makes sense with a 30 watt power
amp, let alone CPU, wifi, VFD, etc.

You find a Li-ion battery with 30 watts of power (most of the coin cell
ones put out maybe 200 milliamps at 3 volts, or 600 milliwatts) and I'm
sure it will power the boom.

--
Pat Farrell