PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the Squeezebox™ Boom

mvalera
2008-08-28, 07:49
I'm happy to announce that we have launched the all new Squeezebox™ Boom!

Squeezebox Boom is the compact all-in-one network music player that combines award-winning Squeezebox functionality with an integrated amplifier and speakers to deliver crystal clear sound—in any room in your home.

There are no additional accessories needed, or network cables to connect. Just plug it in, follow the setup wizard, and enjoy your digital music collection.

Check out the details:
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_boom.html

Read the press release:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/172/5015

Mike

simbo
2008-08-28, 07:59
Thanks for the info, looks excellent!

FYI, the second link doesn't work unless you have your logitech.com location set to US.

Any ideas on when it'll be available in other countries (like the UK ;-) and what the price will be?

Thanks!

Kevint
2008-08-28, 10:34
£199 and looks like you can order now:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/4707&cl=gb,en

Kevin

EnochLight
2008-08-28, 18:39
Although this has to be one of the worst kept secrets in the history of Slim, I welcome the Boom - just ordered one!

cbueche
2008-08-29, 04:38
Logitech USA sells it for US$299, Logitech Switzerland sells it for CHF449, meaning about US$410. What do we get for the US$110 premium ? Gold-platted box ?

Mnyb
2008-08-29, 08:59
Logitech USA sells it for US$299, Logitech Switzerland sells it for CHF449, meaning about US$410. What do we get for the US$110 premium ? Gold-platted box ?

Keep on flogging the dead horse ;-) but what one can do is wait and buy from another webshop in Europe, then it's quite probable that you can get a better price, I bougth my duet in Great Britain due to horrible Swedish prices.

iPhone
2008-08-29, 09:09

One gets the proper exchange rate! The dollar is weak this decade so I have to bend over before I buy any HiFi equipment from Europe (and then getted raped for shipping also with these high fuel prices). So the same applies if one buys a US product in Europe instead of the States.

So call it a deal as one can't fly round trip from Switzerland to either NY or Atlanta for $110 round trip to buy a Boom for $299 at Best Buy.

Mnyb
2008-08-29, 10:18
Well but this thing is probably made in china ? so that logic wont apply and is not logitech from Switzerland ?

Well the price is the price they probably assumes that they get more in the European market.The logic behind this eludes me completely?

The weak dollar makes American products quite cheap now amazon is not so expensive anymore i reckon :-) except for highend hifi from US that is always expensive whatever the dollar is at ;-) (oligopoly market for niche products)

radish
2008-08-29, 18:02
There have been a number of discussions about this in the past...

1) Sales tax, that accounts for a 7.6% difference (if the internet is to be believed!)
2) General cost of doing business (businesses running in Europe typically have higher overheads than in the US)
3) Cost of localization (lots of languages, lots of testing & compliance, different power plugs, etc)
4) Different warranty requirements
5) Competitors also cost more - every market is it's own competitive landscape

Logitech USA sells it for US$299, Logitech Switzerland sells it for CHF449, meaning about US$410. What do we get for the US$110 premium ?
You get to live in Switzerland :)

Michaelwagner
2008-08-29, 19:38
When I lived in Europe, the cost of living in Switzerland was higher than anywhere else in continental Europe. This is just another proof of it.

I just assumed all the Swiss were rich, because otherwise they couldn't afford to live in Switzerland.

Logitech is based in Switzerland, so I'm sure they know the current conversion rates and Switzerland is the one place in the world where head office knows the prices of things like the backs of their hands.

Michaelwagner
2008-08-29, 19:39
this thing is probably made in china
My beta unit was shipped directly from the factory in China.

Mnyb
2008-08-29, 21:50

1) Sales tax, that accounts for a 7.6% difference (if the internet is to be believed!)
2) General cost of doing business (businesses running in Europe typically have higher overheads than in the US)
3) Cost of localization (lots of languages, lots of testing & compliance, different power plugs, etc)

Well that OK with me it's the way of the world , but the nag is usually that slim used to sell worldwide from US (thats how i got my SB3 ). Logitech trothled that outlet enhancing this "every market is it's own competitive landscape". Logitech is all for market compartmentalizing dividing the market into small pockets with "local" competition, for some reason an international company who does not like international competition ?
But thats also old news, the emergence of a global market is going slow.

The Swedish price is now 396$ hmm. but the dollar rate is low now.
I think the product is priced rigth in general.

Another factor that can make people grumpy (me sometimes :-) ) is that logitech is flaunting the US price on this site :) making it blaring obvious thats theres a difference, for other products you have to find out other ways and often never do.

I also assumed that the Swiss where rich, Swedes are not that rich anymore (was in 70's ) i think 11 place in Europe.

andifor
2008-08-31, 02:09

I don't mind 10 to 15% higher prices here. As I earn 10 to 15% more. That's ok.

But 300 to 400 US$ ist 33%, that's not reasonable (my opinion). Order it from www.digitec.ch, they have it for 360 CHF, that's acceptable for me (and that's why I ordered mine).

IRJ
2008-09-08, 14:42
I was quite excited when this product was announced. I have recently upgraded the MBR with an HD LCD, but the LCD speakers are poor. Then I realised what a combination of capability the LCD/DVD/Boom would make merely by running an optical audio connection to the Boom

Then reality struck merely a line in.
Why the lack of decent connections for such use?

EnochLight
2008-09-08, 20:59
I was quite excited when this product was announced. I have recently upgraded the MBR with an HD LCD, but the LCD speakers are poor. Then I realised what a combination of capability the LCD/DVD/Boom would make merely by running an optical audio connection to the Boom

Then reality struck merely a line in.
Why the lack of decent connections for such use?

What - do you mean to use the Boom as an active amp PA for your DVD player?

ccrome2
2008-09-08, 21:18
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:59 PM, EnochLight <
EnochLight.3fgc5z1220932802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> IRJ;338241 Wrote:
> > I was quite excited when this product was announced. I have recently
> > upgraded the MBR with an HD LCD, but the LCD speakers are poor. Then I
> > realised what a combination of capability the LCD/DVD/Boom would make
> > merely by running an optical audio connection to the Boom
> >
> > Then reality struck merely a line in.
> > Why the lack of decent connections for such use?
>
> What - do you mean to use the Boom as an active amp PA for your DVD
> player?

Yeah, boom's not designed for that. It also doesn't have XLR connectors.
It's meant to be a top quality streaming music player for any room except
your home theater. The assumption is that in your home theater, you
already have good speakers.

IRJ
2008-09-09, 12:28
My Master Bedroom(MBR) LCD has very average speakers.

So I thought, for a while, the "Boom" would be the "do everthing" MBR solution.
I could run high Quality Audio (optical audio out) from the LCD and into the "Boom". Therefore ALWAYS use the "Boom" speakers for A) TV programming B) DVD Audio and C) Music from my PC and D) Radio via the "Boom" internet connections and E) Use the "Boom" as the preferred alarm clock etc...

Given the very very decent sound from the "Boom" this, at first, seemed a win win situation and obviating the need for a small receiver and external speakers.

BUT all one can use is a rather degraded line out and line in.

Seems a huge missed opportunity here. The product planners obviously did not think of this kind of set up requirement/use. Thinking of the "Boom" as a standalone box for a small radio/music device ONLY. I agree that the "Boom" isn't a potential Home Theater, or family room, solution. But it is, potentially (with better audio connections) a great idea for a MBR. Come to think of it the product guys MUST have envisaged this unit for use in a MBR situation, BECAUSE they put the full alarm clock etc functionality into the machine. So why they didn't at least have a good digital audio connection IN. I cannot fathom! I can think why there is no digital audio OUT, as this would possibly undermine sales of other slimdevices SB products. But INWARD connections are a whole different subject.

Big dropped ball IMHO.

iPhone
2008-09-09, 13:48
My Master Bedroom(MBR) LCD has very average speakers.

So I thought, for a while, the "Boom" would be the "do everthing" MBR solution.
I could run high Quality Audio (optical audio out) from the LCD and into the "Boom". Therefore ALWAYS use the "Boom" speakers for A) TV programming B) DVD Audio and C) Music from my PC and D) Radio via the "Boom" internet connections and E) Use the "Boom" as the preferred alarm clock etc...

Given the very very decent sound from the "Boom" this, at first, seemed a win win situation and obviating the need for a small receiver and external speakers.

BUT all one can use is a rather degraded line out and line in.

Seems a huge missed opportunity here. The product planners obviously did not think of this kind of set up requirement/use. Thinking of the "Boom" as a standalone box for a small radio/music device ONLY. I agree that the "Boom" isn't a potential Home Theater, or family room, solution. But it is, potentially (with better audio connections) a great idea for a MBR. Come to think of it the product guys MUST have envisaged this unit for use in a MBR situation, BECAUSE they put the full alarm clock etc functionality into the machine. So why they didn't at least have a good digital audio connection IN. I cannot fathom! I can think why there is no digital audio OUT, as this would possibly undermine sales of other slimdevices SB products. But INWARD connections are a whole different subject.

Big dropped ball IMHO.

Not flaming here, but it doesn't sound like your humble opinion, it sounds like you're to cheap to buy a decent A/V receiver and good speakers for all the inputs you need for your TV, DVD Player, and computer!

The Boom was not "Meant" to be a universal unit to fill all your needs. It "Was" designed to be a self cantained stand-alone Network Music Player. Sure they could have added an iPod dock and a bunch of inputs and outputs and had digital out and digital in, oh but wait, they already have the SB3, Duet, and Transporter (minus iPod dock)! It would also have added a bunch of dollars onto the final price. And as an after thought, who has there TV on the night stand next to their Boom? Not many, I can tell you that without asking. And that is why it has a nice clock and alarm set-up.

Yes the Boom was designed for any room, but the target is specifically rooms that tend not to already have a stereo system like the kitchen, guest room, home office, bathroom, or bedroom.

ccrome2
2008-09-09, 14:02
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM, IRJ <
IRJ.3fhj7z1220988603 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> BUT all one can use is a rather degraded line out and line in.

Huh? The line out and line-in are in no way degraded. The line-in and
line-out are very high quality, and line-out is the same as squeezebox
receiver. Just because its analog does not mean its degraded. Don't forget
-- all sound is analog when it hits your ears.

You are the first person out of hundreds who wanted a digital input -- so I
think we hit our target in terms of feature set.

IRJ
2008-09-09, 15:04
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM, IRJ <
IRJ.3fhj7z1220988603 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> BUT all one can use is a rather degraded line out and line in.

Huh? The line out and line-in are in no way degraded. The line-in and
line-out are very high quality, and line-out is the same as squeezebox
receiver. Just because its analog does not mean its degraded. Don't forget
-- all sound is analog when it hits your ears.

You are the first person out of hundreds who wanted a digital input -- so I
think we hit our target in terms of feature set.

1) Bouncing back and forth from digital to analog to digital...etc.. well you get the message... degrades all signals.
2) The "Boom" is so new that we are only just discovering uses for it....
3) Dare I suggest your reply is "defensive"? One digital input opens a whole new way to sell this device IMHO. Of course if you wish to avoid that market opening, keep the spec it just as it is:) I am trying to find a way to buy your great device...but if I have to use a receiver and separate speakers I am NOT going to add a "Boom" to it.

IRJ
2008-09-09, 15:32
Not flaming here, but it doesn't sound like your humble opinion, it sounds like you're to cheap to buy a decent A/V receiver and good speakers for all the inputs you need for your TV, DVD Player, and computer!

The Boom was not "Meant" to be a universal unit to fill all your needs. It "Was" designed to be a self cantained stand-alone Network Music Player. Sure they could have added an iPod dock and a bunch of inputs and outputs and had digital out and digital in, oh but wait, they already have the SB3, Duet, and Transporter (minus iPod dock)! It would also have added a bunch of dollars onto the final price. And as an after thought, who has there TV on the night stand next to their Boom? Not many, I can tell you that without asking. And that is why it has a nice clock and alarm set-up.

Yes the Boom was designed for any room, but the target is specifically rooms that tend not to already have a stereo system like the kitchen, guest room, home office, bathroom, or bedroom.

I accept you are not flaming:)

@ "cheap"... I already have spare receivers (2 with optical digital inputs) and spare speakers (actually 2 sets) which I can use. The receivers don't have latest HDMI so I was thinking of using one of my receivers only for the audio. Or I could buy a new inexpensive lower powered receiver with HDMI and use one of the sets of speakers already I have. Problem here is this way isn't really an INTEGRATED MBR solution. i.e. doesn't include the neat alarm clock/auto and other music etc. solutions of the "Boom". The wife hates my home theater set up because while it's super quality it necessitates use of a few remotes (even my Harmony won't integrate everything). Thus I was initally really enthused to consider using the "Boom" and a single remote as a very very integrated MBR package.
But IMHO it just falls down on the line in instead of optical audio connection and that mutiple back and forth path between optical and analog WILL degrade sound quality unecessarilly IMHO.

"The Boom was not "Meant" to be a universal..."

OK so why even have to line in???????? Obviously this connection was put in the specs likely as not to allow those NOT using slimerver software, but an IPod or some such device. So while you are being user friendly to those people why not add the optical in? I am 100% sure that SD will miss out on many sales because of this. I also think the "Boom" will sell well because it's a good device. It just could have been a real home run with the optical in.
I should add that I have been an SD customer since the days of the SB 1. That's another reason why the "Boom" looked a great way of expanding my usage of SD products. I really enjoy showcasing SD products to my friends who spend, oh so much more money, for less functionality on Sonos devices..... The "Boom" in the MBR would have been a killer product especially with the optical audio connections.

Hands up all of us who have comparitively recently bought a new HD LCD for an MBR use. Now answer me honestly.. Wouldn't a "Boom" be such a super unit to add on and wouldn't an optical connection be just great?

In short this device is designed for MBR use (alarm clock etc. etc.) even more than for the Kitchen, or other room. So since MANY of us have those HD LCD with optical audio outs and lousy LCD speakers...........you are happy to offer us a "line in".......:(

Michaelwagner
2008-09-09, 17:43
let's start with hands up, who knows what the term mbr means here?

dwilliams01
2008-09-09, 18:28
Master Bedroom

An "outdated" term last I was house shopping. The preferred term then was "owner's suite".

Michaelwagner
2008-09-09, 19:49
Oh, I see. I suspect the speakers in my TV are louder than my boom, and in any case, the broadcast sound quality doesn't merit better. I suspect this might be different in high def, but we aren't going to pay those sorts of prices, at least not until the mortgage is paid off.

iPhone
2008-09-09, 20:30
I accept you are not flaming:)

@ "cheap"... I already have spare receivers (2 with optical digital inputs) and spare speakers (actually 2 sets) which I can use. The receivers don't have latest HDMI so I was thinking of using one of my receivers only for the audio. Or I could buy a new inexpensive lower powered receiver with HDMI and use one of the sets of speakers already I have. Problem here is this way isn't really an INTEGRATED MBR solution. i.e. doesn't include the neat alarm clock/auto and other music etc. solutions of the "Boom". The wife hates my home theater set up because while it's super quality it necessitates use of a few remotes (even my Harmony won't integrate everything). Thus I was initally really enthused to consider using the "Boom" and a single remote as a very very integrated MBR package.
But IMHO it just falls down on the line in instead of optical audio connection and that mutiple back and forth path between optical and analog WILL degrade sound quality unecessarilly IMHO.
How can your Harmony not do everything for your HT? Something must not be setup properly or you didn't buy the correct/enough Harmony Remote (or there is an oddball component). The only reason I have two remotes is the Harmony 1000 will not act as an SBC.
Cheap was a quick and poor choice of word, but comes to mind when folks start complaining why the Boom will not do this or do that or doesn't come with this or I can't have it do everything its not meant to do. Stop and think about it a minute. A Squeezebox Classic was $299 before the Boom came out. It has no amps and no speakers. Think about the price point Logitech was trying to meet and the Boom can only do so much.

"The Boom was not "Meant" to be a universal..."

OK so why even have to line in???????? Obviously this connection was put in the specs likely as not to allow those NOT using slimerver software, but an IPod or some such device. So while you are being user friendly to those people why not add the optical in? I am 100% sure that SD will miss out on many sales because of this. I also think the "Boom" will sell well because it's a good device. It just could have been a real home run with the optical in.
WHAT? Who in their right mind would buy a Boom at $300 just to run an iPod into it? Its not even a good deal for running an iPod into it and using only Internet Radio. And if one has an iPod, one has music on a hard drive some place so a Network Music Player is right up their alley so why bother with the iPod?
The Line-In jack is a very cheap part to add and in my mind is useable for folks that just have to have FM, HD Radio, or maybe use next to a PC as a better pair of PC speakers. Only the Transporter has Digital Inputs at a Price point of $1999!

I should add that I have been an SD customer since the days of the SB 1. That's another reason why the "Boom" looked a great way of expanding my usage of SD products. I really enjoy showcasing SD products to my friends who spend, oh so much more money, for less functionality on Sonos devices..... The "Boom" in the MBR would have been a killer product especially with the optical audio connections.
It "IS" already a killer product in the bedroom without the optical audio connections. Why force the price to start climbing toward Sonos by adding items that are out of the range of the intended market that Logitech is trying to reach/fill with the Boom?

Hands up all of us who have comparitively recently bought a new HD LCD for an MBR use. Now answer me honestly.. Wouldn't a "Boom" be such a super unit to add on and wouldn't an optical connection be just great?
My hand is up, and no the Boom would not be a super add-on for an HD TV especially when you have a DVD player also (you need multiple inputs anyway!). I have a 47 inch Sharp 1080P HD LCD on my bedroom wall. I use all HDMI connections from the LCD, DVD, Comcast HD DVR, and Adcom GFR 700HD. Toslink for the SB3 to Adcom connection, its all digital.

In short this device is designed for MBR use (alarm clock etc. etc.) even more than for the Kitchen, or other room. So since MANY of us have those HD LCD with optical audio outs and lousy LCD speakers...........you are happy to offer us a "line in".......:(
So your going to wall mount a Boom under your HD LCD to solve your lousy TV Speaker problem? What kind of sense does that make? So you have 1080P TV picture, a DVD player with digital surround sound, and you just have to have an optical input to feed your wall mounted Boom to get the most out of your TV and DVD player. Hello?!

Did you need an excuse to buy the Boom? Honey, we can use the Boom in place of the lousy speakers in our killer HD LCD TV.

Just can't see it when the easy way is an A/V receiver and a good set of speakers to solve the problem (and get the most out of the DVD player and HD LCD). Why re-invent the Boom when this is an A/V issue?

IRJ
2008-09-10, 08:25
Not all Harmony software for all hardware works 100%.

I don't want to bother with surround sound in a MBR. Thus full blow receiver and multiple speaker sets is superfluous. And it doesn't have the integrated alarm clock functions and streaming internet radio and by definition isn't fully integrated.

I have the LCD screen on a glasss and metal stand, not on a wall. So there's room underneath.
Boom + my Chumby ssems a duplication of streaming capability.

OK to each his/her own. Me, I think line in is so 1990s....;) And as hardware tends to get cast in stone for years, IMHO, it's best to future proof designs. After all this is nt unit to carry around, it has no battery power.

dwilliams01
2008-09-10, 15:09
After all this is nt unit to carry around, it has no battery power.

Actually, portable and "spare room" uses are my primary uses for the boom. Fixed locations (kitchen/bedroom) are the least. Yes, a battery would be handy upon occasion but I've got power near enough in most places that I typically use it without having to run an extension cord too often.

Phil Leigh
2008-09-11, 06:53
Just as an experiment I connected the stereo rca line outs on my Sony Bravia (top LCD model) to the line in of the Boom via a standard cheap rca-minijack cable.

The sound out of the Boom is way, way better than the native Sony. I know these Sony models aren't renowned for their sound quality - I bought it for the excellent picture. You can see what I normally connect it to below.

I am now satisfied that the OP is completely off the mark. The line-in sounds fine for the purpose he described. The lack of optical - and why not spdif by the way? - surely spdif is better than optical... is a complete non-issue from an audio quality point of view. The extra adc/dac transition just doesn't make any noticeable difference in this use-case. Sorry.

ymmv

IRJ
2008-09-11, 07:25
Just as an experiment I connected the stereo rca line outs on my Sony Bravia (top LCD model) to the line in of the Boom via a standard cheap rca-minijack cable.

The sound out of the Boom is way, way better than the native Sony. I know these Sony models aren't renowned for their sound quality - I bought it for the excellent picture. You can see what I normally connect it to below.

I am now satisfied that the OP is completely off the mark. The line-in sounds fine for the purpose he described. The lack of optical - and why not spdif by the way? - surely spdif is better than optical... is a complete non-issue from an audio quality point of view. The extra adc/dac transition just doesn't make any noticeable difference in this use-case. Sorry.

ymmv

Good to "hear" the result of a real world test.

Phil Leigh
2008-09-11, 07:31
Good to "hear" the result of a real world test.

:o) - that's the limitations of forums like this.
I'm not trying to convince you other than to say I think (depending on what model of TV you have) the Boom may give you what you want. If you have a DVD player that can route its 2-channel downmix audio into the TV (mine has rca line-ins for this you can use the tv remote to switch audio+video together and thatgets round the "single lne-in on the Boom" issue.

IRJ
2008-09-15, 16:48
Can the Boom be controlled via a wifi device, such as a Nokia N800? I ask as the controller included seems to need line of sight to the device to read the devices LCD panel. Thanks

mherger
2008-09-15, 23:20
> Can the Boom be controlled via a wifi device, such as a Nokia N800? I

Of course! There's even a skin called Nokia770.

Michael

IRJ
2008-09-16, 12:38
Thanks. It was not so obvious to me, since the new SB Receiver necessitates the hand held controller (duet) to sign on new receivers. Thus the system with the Boom is simpler.

Moisturefarmer
2008-09-16, 12:42
Can the Wireless receiver be turned off and just connect via Ethernet ?

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-16, 12:49
Can the Wireless receiver be turned off and just connect via Ethernet ?

On Boom? Of course.

IRJ
2008-09-16, 15:40
You have got BestBuy very motivated, it's very well placed with working models in their stores now.

Kiranos
2009-09-12, 08:50
love this device!

raven22
2011-12-14, 11:45
I want to buy another Boom, but nowhere to be found. Will there be a Boom 2? Or do i have to search the second hand market.

Michaelwagner
2011-12-14, 11:59
I've had trouble finding them too. Would be interested to know the answer.

eganders
2011-12-15, 10:31
I want to buy another Boom, but nowhere to be found. Will there be a Boom 2? Or do i have to search the second hand market.The second hand market is your only hope at the moment. Many users on these forums have discussed the need for a Boom 2 and there are many threads and discussions about it. The various winter audio shows are probably the next opportunity where new products might be announced by various manufacturers. I've not heard of any new Squeeze products coming - but that doesn't mean anything other than I read these forums. One can always dream.

raven22
2011-12-28, 01:50
I've had trouble finding them too. Would be interested to know the answer.

vote here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17805

and leave comment here: http://www.onlineregister.com/logitechithink/

Moses195
2011-12-28, 07:45
I want to buy another Boom, but nowhere to be found. Will there be a Boom 2? Or do i have to search the second hand market.

I just ordered one from E-bay. $219

Pidsley
2012-02-20, 10:13
I just ordered one from E-bay. $219

Did it arrive?