PDA

View Full Version : High pitched whine from right channel?

sdonham
2008-08-27, 21:38
I've had an SB3 for two years and I couldn't be happier. Tonight however, the right channel is producing a VERY noticeable high frequency whine from the right channel. I swapped RCA outputs, to make sure it wasn't my speaker or amp, it's definitely the right channel on the SB3.

I'm looking for suggestions on how I might fix this - it's loud and driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas?

opaqueice
2008-08-27, 21:54
I'm looking for suggestions on how I might fix this - it's loud and driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas?

Does it change when you change the display brightness?

Nonreality
2008-08-27, 22:35
It's a problem with some encoding. I think it's called white noise or maybe pink noise, I don't remember which. You probably need to upgrade your SC. They had a problem with the encoding of some mp3's on rhapsody. I had this when I accidentally tried to play a drm encoded Itunes file. It could damage your speakers if you have the volume too loud. It sounded like glass breaking or something similar. If upgrading doesn't fix it then you might have something else going on. Keep the volume down until you figure it though.

Skittler
2008-08-28, 04:16
Does it go away when you stop playing James Blunt?

Phil Leigh
2008-08-28, 05:50
Does it go away when you stop playing James Blunt?

surely that would affect both channels...

sdonham
2008-08-28, 07:17
I don't think it's an encoding issue. All I have to do is turn the SB3 on, not play anything, and the sound is there. It almost sounds like a high frequency oscillation.

Phil Leigh
2008-08-28, 09:45
I don't think it's an encoding issue. All I have to do is turn the SB3 on, not play anything, and the sound is there. It almost sounds like a high frequency oscillation.

But does it go away if you turn the display brightness down...? There is a known issue with this but you (usually) have to strain to hear it...

sdonham
2008-08-28, 21:44
But does it go away if you turn the display brightness down...? There is a known issue with this but you (usually) have to strain to hear it...

YES!!!! It varies with the display brightness! It gets noticeably quieter if I leave the display on the highest setting (bright) or reduce it to off. I really don't have to strain, to hear this, however...

Are there any fixes for this? Perhaps a new VFD?
Thank you for the great tip!

Edit:
It just occurred to me that I noticed this shortly after grabbing the latest firmware:
SB Version 112
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.3 - 22914 @ Wed Aug 27 03:01:21
Could this be related? I don't know how firmware could really affect this, it sounds more like the the VFD is dieing (similar to a florescent tube getting old). If this is a known issue, is there a bug in bugzilla? Does anyone have the bug ID? Just curious,
Thanks again for your quick input everyone. Somehow knowing the source of the problem makes the sound less annoying, even if I don't have a fix.

Phil Leigh
2008-08-28, 22:11
YES!!!! It varies with the display brightness! It gets noticeably quieter if I leave the display on the highest setting (bright) or reduce it to off. I really don't have to strain, to hear this, however...

Are there any fixes for this? Perhaps a new VFD?
Thank you for the great tip!

Edit:
It just occurred to me that I noticed this shortly after grabbing the latest firmware:
SB Version 112
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.3 - 22914 @ Wed Aug 27 03:01:21
Could this be related? I don't know how firmware could really affect this, it sounds more like the the VFD is dieing (similar to a florescent tube getting old). If this is a known issue, is there a bug in bugzilla? Does anyone have the bug ID? Just curious,
Thanks again for your quick input everyone. Somehow knowing the source of the problem makes the sound less annoying, even if I don't have a fix.

Someone else should chip in here since this issue affects the analogue outs which I don't use...however, I notice you are using a 7.3 nightly. 7.3 is unstable at the moment. You should downgrade to the official 7.2 release from yesterday immediately and see what happens.

What equipment (amp)is your SB plugged into? You should be running your SB at full volume and adjusting level on your amp (ideally).

sdonham
2008-08-28, 22:38
..I notice you are using a 7.3 nightly. 7.3 is unstable at the moment. You should downgrade to the official 7.2 release from yesterday immediately and see what happens.
I will definitely downgrade this weekend to see if it fixes the issue and I'll keep you posted.

What equipment (amp)is your SB plugged into? You should be running your SB at full volume and adjusting level on your amp (ideally).
It's plugged into all Parasound gear: Parasound 2125 amp,
Parasound 2100 preamp. The volume on the SB3 does not make any difference on noise level of the high-pitched whine, the level on the amp does, however. Is keeping the volume on the SB3 at max the recommended output level? I tend to use the Jive (Slimcontroller) for volume control, so it goes up and down.

egd
2008-08-28, 23:15
I've had an SB3 for two years and I couldn't be happier. Tonight however, the right channel is producing a VERY noticeable high frequency whine from the right channel. I was going to ask whether you'd married recently, but it seems you've found the problem.

seanadams
2008-08-28, 23:46
I was going to ask whether you'd married recently, but it seems you've found the problem.

I just got married YIC. But I guess my stereo is OK then.. phew!

lazpete
2008-08-29, 04:09
Im running the SB3 all night long, as im burning in my new speakers, and this morning, i noticed that i got this same thing going on, but in the left channel.
My info:
SqueezeCenter-version: 7.2 - 22886 @ Tue Aug 26 02:03:27 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - SV - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.100
Perl-version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL-version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Platform Architecture: 586

Model: Squeezebox v3

Firmware: 112

i pulled the plug and restarted, and havent noticed it more today.
Have never had any problems with this before, so i guess its something with the 112

Phil Leigh
2008-08-29, 05:45
I will definitely downgrade this weekend to see if it fixes the issue and I'll keep you posted.

It's plugged into all Parasound gear: Parasound 2125 amp,
Parasound 2100 preamp. The volume on the SB3 does not make any difference on noise level of the high-pitched whine, the level on the amp does, however. Is keeping the volume on the SB3 at max the recommended output level? I tend to use the Jive (Slimcontroller) for volume control, so it goes up and down.

IMHO you should set the loudest listening level you would ever use on the Parasound preamp and then adjust the (analogue) level down on the SB. YMMV.

Nonreality
2008-08-29, 13:32
I just got married YIC. But I guess my stereo is OK then.. phew!Sean I think this belongs in the Ripping and tagging forum. :)

egd
2008-08-29, 20:24
I just got married YIC. But I guess my stereo is OK then.. phew!

Congratulations, as my father-in-law said to me..."you can't be happy all your life" :P