PDA

View Full Version : Considering Duet

moosetracks555
2008-08-27, 11:46
Hello,

I am considering getting the squeezebox duet, but I have a few questions.
I have in wall speakers that all make home runs with speaker wire to my equipment closet. I would like to purchase 2 receivers install them in the closet, one for the living room, and one for the bedroom. From what I understand I will also need to purchase an amp to hook up between the speakers and the receiver.

1 Can both receivers be controlled with one controller?
2 Is there anything wrong with what I plan to do?
3 How many buttons do you have to press to pick which receiver you are controlling?
4 On the controller can you easily select to play music on one or both receivers?
5 Is the music synchronized, or is there a possibility of hearing an echo if both speakers are within listening range of each other.
6 Are the plugins at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Plugins primarily meant for the older versions of the squeezebox receiver? Are there plugins for the duet controller?

maggior
2008-08-27, 12:01
Hello,

I am considering getting the squeezebox duet, but I have a few questions.
I have in wall speakers that all make home runs with speaker wire to my equipment closet. I would like to purchase 2 receivers install them in the closet, one for the living room, and one for the bedroom. From what I understand I will also need to purchase an amp to hook up between the speakers and the receiver.

1 Can both receivers be controlled with one controller?

Yes

2 Is there anything wrong with what I plan to do?

Nope!

3 How many buttons do you have to press to pick which receiver you are controlling?

Scroll to "choose reciever", highlight the receiver you want to control,
and click.

4 On the controller can you easily select to play music on one or both receivers?

Yes. If you want to play the same music on both, you sync them via a menu in the controller. Then, when you select music on one, it plays on both.

5 Is the music synchronized, or is there a possibility of hearing an echo if both speakers are within listening range of each other.

I've used the sync function and have not found any echo effect. It's been improved considerably over the last few releases.

6 Are the plugins at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Plugins primarily meant for the older versions of the squeezebox receiver? Are there plugins for the duet controller?

The plugins that display info (e.g. weather/time) are for the classic SB. I don't know if there are plans to make these types of plugins work with the controller.