PDA

View Full Version : Linux (Gentoo) streaming to stereo

termite
2008-08-26, 07:36
My current setup:

A variety of laptops (mac osx and gentoo) connect to a (gentoo) server to play music stored on the server. The connection is made by a samba share mounted on the gentoo laptops and directly through itunes (streamed by mt-daapd) on the mac. Laptops connected by wireless (802.11g) to a router that is physically connected to the server. Amarok is used on the gentoo laptops. The stereo isn't connected to anything, though any of the laptops can be connected to it by headphone output to RCA input.

Desired modification:

I'd like to be able to play the music in exactly the same way on the laptops (ie amarok/itunes), but stream to the stereo via some wireless receiver. In other words, I want to sit on my couch and play music through my stereo without pesky wires.

What is the best way to do this? Cheap would be good :)

radish
2008-08-26, 08:04
Well given that you're on the SD forums, you're going to get one obvious answer :) Install SC7 on the server, connect one of the Squeezebox players to your stereo, enjoy. Price varies depending on feature set ($150-$2000), personally I like the controllers a lot but the SB3/Classic is still my favourite player, because of the display. Older players can also be found on ebay, an SB2 is fine but I wouldn't personally go older than that.

termite
2008-08-26, 08:17
will SC7 (or 7.1) allows me to use Amarok? Its page says it supports winamp and iTunes, but says nothing about other players.

radish
2008-08-26, 11:38
SC will present an http mp3 stream to anything that will listen, so I assume amarok will read that as well as iTunes or Winamp would. But to be clear, in the standard setup all you have is SC7 and a physical player (or players). Software players (amarok, winamp, whatever) only come into the picture if you want to listen to SC from another computer via it's soundcard.

termite
2008-08-26, 11:41
No, that's not what I want. I want to control my music collection on the server using Amarok on a laptop and hear it from my stereo, which should be connected to the router by 802.11g.

For all intents and purposes, we can assume that the music collection is on the laptop, since it's mounted as a samba share.

bhaagensen
2008-08-26, 14:47
No, that's not what I want. I want to control my music collection on the server using Amarok on a laptop and hear it from my stereo, which should be connected to the router by 802.11g.

That will, at best, be cumbersome to achieve with the Slimdevices products. It is doable, but not at all how the product is intended to be used. Maybe some others have advice for alternative solutions, otherwise this may not be the best forum for you request.

Btw. if your stereo is to be connected to your router via wlan, then it already must have a wireless interface and presumably also some kind of support for streaming such as upnp client support.

radish
2008-08-26, 18:22

Square peg, round hole. You can make it fit with enough hammering but it's not what it's designed for :) Something like airport express may fit your plan better. Having said that, I'd strongly recommend you think the alternatives through. I find a remote (or an SBC) a much more living-room friendly UI than a laptop.

bernt
2008-08-27, 00:13
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Stereo-Gateway-DC800-Adapter/dp/B000BBAL1Q

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluetooth-Adaptor-Retail-Packaging/dp/B000BNOLN8

bpa
2008-08-27, 01:01
To play music with SB you need to run SqueezeCenter (SC).

There is a SC plugin for Linux which enables ALSA or OSS audio output (i.e. audio output from Amarok or any laptop app) to be played through SC to the SB. In this setup SC can be configured to ignore your audio library.

It is not the best use of SB capabilities but it will do what you want but you will not get any track info on SB display / WebUI except that it is playing a PC audio stream. The http stream.mp3 approach will provide screen info but there is a long delay due to buffering.