PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox no longer connects



humhead
2008-08-25, 17:13
So, I've been using the squeezebox from slimserver 6 something or other. Once I got it set up its been fine, till yesterday. It will no longer connect to my network wirelessly (which is the way its been working all this time). It will connect and obtain an ip address through dhcp when wired. It will connect to the wireless network (via access point), but will not obtain an ip address from the router's dhcp. And it does not connect to the router with a static ip.

I've moved into the same room with the access point (low signal maybe), no good.

BTW, the Tivo also connects via wireless and works fine, thank you very much. ;)

I thought it was the router or the access point, but now I think its the squeezebox.

Any help will be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Vic

radish
2008-08-25, 19:16
Have you tried restarting the router? I've often seen problems where they're unable to add new wireless clients without a restart.

humhead
2008-08-26, 17:59
Have you tried restarting the router? I've often seen problems where they're unable to add new wireless clients without a restart.

Restarted the router, the access point, the squeezebox, all multiple times. Oh, and just to be sure (though it shouldn't affect the others) the computer running squeezecenter.

radish
2008-08-26, 18:14
Just for testing, can you try disabling any WEP/WPA security on the router? There have been a number of issues where it appears the SB is connected, and the only problem is DHCP, but in fact there's an encryption problem.

humhead
2008-08-27, 16:09
Just for testing, can you try disabling any WEP/WPA security on the router? There have been a number of issues where it appears the SB is connected, and the only problem is DHCP, but in fact there's an encryption problem.

Worth a try. Right? I disabled the WEP and tried to connect. Interesting effect: after re entering the SSID so I could set up a no encryption connection it would not connect to the wireless network at all.

Then I re enabled WEP (original setup), and not only did it connect, but obtained an ip address from the router. WHOA Nelly, that was weird. Moved it back to the original location and it worked perfectly.

Any insight into this strange behavior? Or should I just enjoy the fact that its working again?

In any case thanks much for the hints.

Vic

radish
2008-08-27, 16:34
Sunspots :) Seriously, going through those steps clears out all the network settings which is sometimes useful if something somewhere got out of whack. You mentioned entering the SSID, which implies SSID broadcast is off on the router - that has been known to cause problems with some devices.

humhead
2008-08-28, 16:06
Sunspots :) Seriously, going through those steps clears out all the network settings which is sometimes useful if something somewhere got out of whack. You mentioned entering the SSID, which implies SSID broadcast is off on the router - that has been known to cause problems with some devices.

Sunspots, indeed!

I have left the SSID broadcast on this time. I has been off till this problem started. Turning it on was one of those things I tried to get it working again. But enough of that.

Thanks again.
Vic