PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC outside the UK

tillster
2008-08-24, 04:20
Hello all.

First post for me.

I've got my Duet and everything up and running nicely thanks to searching all the good threads on here :-)

However, I have an *issue* with AlienBBC: I live in Denmark so I am unable to listen most live sports on BBC Radio 5 Live. Or BBC Radio Sheffield (Wednesday)

This is the same as when I try to listen to 5 live from the BBC website. However, I was wondering whether it was possible to bypass this by use of some jiggerypokery on alienBBC

Answers on a postcard, etc etc

Siduhe
2008-08-24, 04:49
There is a particular issue with the AlienBBC url for Five Live at the moment, and the only workaround I am aware of is for UK listeners only. However, even when the link is working live sport events on the BBC will only be broadcast on an IP restricted basis - it's a licencing issue.

As a guess, you might be able to use an IP proxy to give yourself a UK address, however I'm not sure it would work directly via AlienBBC but you could at least listen via your PC and feed it to Squeezecenter using the WaveInput plugin. However, I also know the BBC are pretty good at spotting the well known proxy services and block a number of these also.

Others may have more ideas - I'm based in the UK and when I travel I log into my home server via VPN and listen that way, which is a similar kind of idea.

bpa
2008-08-24, 04:51
The only solution is to use a UK proxy - in which case you would be better off using the WMA streams.

tillster
2008-08-26, 04:10
Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated

Sorry that it's not gonna be straightforward but never mind: pleny of other things to fiddle with

bpa
2008-08-26, 05:18
There is a particular issue with the AlienBBC url for Five Live at the moment, and the only workaround I am aware of is for UK listeners only.

The problem is only with the URL for UK listeners - the 5Live URL for international listeners plays OK with no fixes needed. The BBC does not broadcast some content on the 5Live international URL.

vinnielo
2008-08-26, 14:10
BBC Radio Sheffield's online stream is blocked during live sports, even to listeners from the UK.