PDA

View Full Version : Controlling squeezebox box from iTunes on Windows

al6890
2008-08-22, 05:05
Hi

I'm looking at buying a squeezebox

However being an itunes user i'm looking for a way to control both squeezecenter and therefore a squeezebox directly from itunes on a windows platform? i.e when i play a song on itunes for it to instantly play through my squeezebox.

Having read up on this all I could find were fixes and scripts written for users with this problem on macs.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=8967&highlight=itunes+control

Also another solution was to use nicecast, to stream the output on itunes but again this is only available on macs.

Having downloaded and trialed squeezecenter I would much rather use itunes and this is the one factor holding me back from buying it.
I did consider airport express- mainly due to its integration with itunes but really would rather have a squeezebox, due to the better ouput quality it produces.

i would appreciate any help on this

Al

simonjedrake
2008-08-22, 05:57
Hi

Also another solution was to use nicecast, to stream the output on itunes but again this is only available on macs.

Having downloaded and trialed squeezecenter I would much rather use itunes and this is the one factor holding me back from buying it.
I did consider airport express- mainly due to its integration with itunes but really would rather have a squeezebox, due to the better ouput quality it produces.
Al

If all you are looking at is to "Stream" your current audio files from your itunes PC interface to another room then I would use an airport express as it interfaces so well into itunes. I use such a setup to stream via itunes to my main stero setup in the lounge.
BUT I also have various squeezeboxes round the house that allow me to stream audio from the same source files that are selected via the individual SB interfaces. In fact one SB is also plugged into the same Stereo that the airport express is plugged into to......

al6890
2008-08-22, 08:35
do you notice much difference in sound quality between the 2??

simonjedrake
2008-08-22, 12:25
do you notice much difference in sound quality between the 2??

No difference at all, but then I do not consider myself a real expect in audio formats as many on this forum are - I only use mp3 format files.