PDA

View Full Version : extra squeezeboxes use loads of server CPU even when on standby!?

amorphia
2008-08-22, 04:21
Hi all,

I'm running Squeezecenter 7.0 on a QNAP TS-109, till recently with just the one Squeezebox. AlienBBC runs OK like this although it is pushing the QNAP's CPU close to the limit, because of the resource-hungry mplayer which AlienBBC uses. I've just got a second squeezebox for another room, and I am rather frustrated to find out that having the extra squeezebox attached seems to cause Squeezecenter itself to use a lot more CPU, even when that Squeezebox is on standby.

It's difficult to be precise because the CPU usage oscillates a lot, but (from looking at top, the linux cpu monitor) I would estimate that with just one squeezebox on the network, mplayer uses about 80% CPU, perl (in otherwords slimserver) about 10%, and AlienBBC runs fine. Having an extra squeezebox on, even in standby, causes perl to run at around 40%, pushing mplayer down to 50%, and causing a lot of stutter.

Surely a standby squeezebox shouldn't be straining the server like this? The workaround is obviously to unplug the unused squeezeboxes but that interferes with the whole music on demand experience which is otherwise working so nicely.

Much appreciation for any ideas about what I can do!

Cheers,

Ben

amorphia
2008-08-22, 04:47
Update: It isn't as simple as that. An extra squeezebox does not always cause excess CPU usage: I just had two sychronised playing the same AlienBBC stream, with reasonable performance, and after unsychronising and putting one on standby the other is still playing fine. I'll do some more investigation to try and work out more specifically what circumstances lead to the problem.

Cheers,

Ben

bpa
2008-08-22, 05:12
mplayer taking 80% on a 500MHz processor sounds too high. I had mplayer taking 80% on a 266MHz ARM processor.

Are you transcoding into RTSP into Flac or MPŁ as well ?
Does mplayer have the fixed point patch ?

amorphia
2008-08-24, 08:17
That is very interesting to know, thanks bpa. I don't actually know the answer to your question: I just followed the standard instuctions for the most straightforward AlienBBC install, and I don't recall whether that was Flac or MP3, likewise don't recall whether the fixed point patch was included.

I will look into this some more.

Cheers,

Ben

bpa
2008-08-24, 08:43
I'm not sure but I think there are two versions of mplayer for QNAP. Check out post #114 in this thread and you could try out the other version of mplayer referenced.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44325&page=12