PDA

View Full Version : Protection agains selecting over x songs

joggs
2008-08-22, 00:57
When a user selects more than 1000 songs or so, usually by mistake, the server will be unresponsive due to 100% cpu for hours even though you have a very fast computer. The funny thing is that if I restart the server the playlist still has to be populated with the thusands of songs which makes it unresponive right from the start. Plese correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what happens for me here right now :-)

I'd like a setting where you can set a max amount of songs to add to the playlist or another good idea that prevent the server to be unresponsive.

I'm not sure how the threading exactly works in squeeze center but I hope that things like adding 10000 songs to a playlist is on a very low prioritized thread and that features that require fast response times lies in a thread with higher priority.

Well, I just wanted to start a discussion regarding this pretty important matter.

Khuli
2008-08-22, 02:12
If I select my entire collection to play at random it makes a playlist of some 17,000 songs - takes a few minutes to generate, but once done it works fine, so it should be fine for 1,000.