PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueexe - suddenly unable to play MP3s?

bobkoure
2008-08-21, 08:13
This took me a couple of minutes to figure out, so I thought I'd share and potentially save someone else the confusion.
If you find you can't play MP3s in softsqueeze, check to see if there's been a java update. Yep, mp3plugin.jar needs to be copied/moved from one ext to the current one.
No idea why the built-in mp3 layer wasn't working (java win32 version jre1.6.0_07).

And, yeah - I'm feeling dumb I didn't suss this one instantly. It's just that I only have about 10% un-re-ripped CDs as MP3s, so it was just silence once in a while, while I was focused on work-stuff. Sigh...

m1cross
2008-08-21, 09:27
I'm having all kinds of trouble with softsqeeze suddenly. What happened? I've been running SC 7.1 with no problems. Now if i try and start SoftSqueeze, SC comes and goes with music, and SoftSqueeze starts, but won't play music. Very frustrating. Does 7.1 have any issues with Softsqueeze?

m1cross
2008-08-21, 09:53
i'm still trying to figure this out... Now i finally got everything working, with softsqueeze on the monitor, and superdate with some PGA scores running also. Then the music stops and i notice the scores froze also. Long story short, i then determined this has to be a internet problem, not SC or Softsqueeze problem. So i unplug my Linksys wrt54g power and plug it right back in, and the whole problem goes away. Why am i have probles all of the sudden? Please help. thanks p.s. during typing of this, problem reappeared, so i did my deal with unplugging, and sure enough, problem dissappeared. Is it time for a new router?

bobkoure
2008-08-21, 13:19
You could certainly try different firmware on that router.
I'm partial to HyperWRTw/Tofu - but there are more folks here who like Tomato. The WRT stock firmware is famous for having a problem when it's dealing with a large number of connections (as in using bit-torrent or such like). But AFAIK, that issue's with NAT tables, so probably not your issue.

That said, running anything on java on windows can be... fragile. If you run several java apps continuously, you'd might as well learn how to kill processes in task manager. Don't just kill the frozen app, but java-anything (click the tab above task names in task manager to sort by name, then just kill everything that begins java...

There's a non-java player (no real UI - but you use the web UI for that, right?) which I spent some frustrating hours trying to get to work in win32. IMHO it's a portable app that's perhaps focused a bit too much on Linux. Fixable in win32 if you're a developer and don't care about portability.

radish
2008-08-21, 17:20
That said, running anything on java on windows can be... fragile. If you run several java apps continuously, you'd might as well learn how to kill processes in task manager. Don't just kill the frozen app, but java-anything (click the tab above task names in task manager to sort by name, then just kill everything that begins java...

Really? I don't think that's normal. I run multiple large java apps all day every day and rarely have any issues. The one app I have to kill on a frequent basis is Visual Studio (which obviously isn't java).

peterw
2008-08-21, 18:37
I'm having all kinds of trouble with softsqeeze suddenly. What happened? I've been running SC 7.1 with no problems. Now if i try and start SoftSqueeze, SC comes and goes with music, and SoftSqueeze starts, but won't play music. Very frustrating. Does 7.1 have any issues with Softsqueeze?

I've had similar trouble with SoftSqueeze from SC 7.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 i386. I only use SoftSqueeze for development & debugging, so I haven't bothered trying to figure out the cause.

m1cross
2008-08-21, 18:49
Thanks for all the replies.... all of my trouble turned out to be the plugin 'superdate'. When i turned it 'off', all my problems went away. When i was having problems, under task manager, cpu, SC was locking up at 100%. When or if the music would come back on, the %'s would drop down to way lower. When i turned the plugin off, everything is smooth as glass. i just don't understand why superdate would work perfect for about 1 week, then the sh** hits the fan?? I didn't install or do anything else, so maybe you have ideas?? thanks