PDA

View Full Version : Duet Newbie looking for advice

badboygolf16v
2008-08-21, 00:11
Hi All

I've just bought a Duet and would be grateful if anyone could offer me some assistance. I've had a quick look around at the options for hosting my music and have come up with a possible solution, I was hoping that you could take a look at my suggestion and confirm it would work OK.

I'm planning on getting a cheap Windows 2003 Server R2 box to which I will add three 1TB hard disks set up in a software RAID 5 array.

I will also use this machine to rip my music using EAC to FLAC lossless, as my current laptop is a bit long in the tooth and not up to the job.

As a backup solution I was going to get an external 1TB hard disk and replicate my music files to it. (I'm not sure of the best software solution for this backup so any suggestions welcome.)

I've decided to go the Windows route as I'm fairly familiar with it and don't want the hassle of learning anything new.

Any comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Nonreality
2008-08-21, 02:33
Hi All

I've just bought a Duet and would be grateful if anyone could offer me some assistance. I've had a quick look around at the options for hosting my music and have come up with a possible solution, I was hoping that you could take a look at my suggestion and confirm it would work OK.

I'm planning on getting a cheap Windows 2003 Server R2 box to which I will add three 1TB hard disks set up in a software RAID 5 array.

I will also use this machine to rip my music using EAC to FLAC lossless, as my current laptop is a bit long in the tooth and not up to the job.

As a backup solution I was going to get an external 1TB hard disk and replicate my music files to it. (I'm not sure of the best software solution for this backup so any suggestions welcome.)

I've decided to go the Windows route as I'm fairly familiar with it and don't want the hassle of learning anything new.

Any comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Sounds good to me. I would use dbpoweramp instead of EAC because of ease of use and much better tagging but that's up to you. I use a 750 external drive for mine with a 500 backup. I'm starting to push the 500 but oh well. Oh yeah, I'm using xp.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-21, 10:58
Spend more money on the backup solution and less on RAID. Repeat to yourself "RAID is not backup". :-)

As for the backup software, look at robocopy, which is included in some Windows versions and can be installed on others.

toby10
2008-08-22, 03:20
........As a backup solution I was going to get an external 1TB hard disk and replicate my music files to it. (I'm not sure of the best software solution for this backup so any suggestions welcome.)

I've decided to go the Windows route as I'm fairly familiar with it and don't want the hassle of learning anything new............

For backing up music files I'd suggest SyncBack (very intutitive, free file syncing program):
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

For bootable backup (complete mirror image back up, 30 day trial, $50 to buy) I use CasperXP:
http://www.fssdev.com/

badboygolf16v
2008-08-22, 12:00
Thanks for the advice folks.

jimzak
2008-08-24, 00:24
Hmmmm...quite a bit of venom there over a simple ripper.

I happen to agree that dbP is a superior ripper as I have used both.

EAC is gold standard, but it will take orders of magnitude longer to rip your TB or so of files.

ModelCitizen
2008-08-24, 04:53
RAID is definitely not necessary. A simple and very robust solution is to use the free RoboCopy and two 1tb drives. I'd recommend the Western Digital Caviar 1tb SATA as they are low power (good in times where power prices are increasing dramatically), quiet and do not get very hot (if you want to run a slient PC, minus fans, the are useful).

If not RoboCopy then any other bit of software like the one above or MirrorFolder (which I used to use) will do.

If super paranoid you might consider a third 1tb drive, maybe with USB case, for offsite copy. You might come to some sort of useful complimentary arrangement with a friend. :-)

MC

Pale Blue Ego
2008-08-24, 13:18
Dude why don't you go sell your dbpoweramp somewhere else! I am really sick of you pushing your freakin agenda for dbpoweramp. Every response is the same along with whatever your agenda is. Go sell you crap somewhere else Non reality!

Something wrong with suggestion a superior program? EAC is good (and free), but dbpoweramp is just better. Anyone ripping a large collection will appreciate the difference. So chill.

badboygolf16v
2008-08-24, 14:05
A simple and very robust solution is to use the free RoboCopy and two 1tb drives.

If super paranoid you might consider a third 1tb drive, maybe with USB case, for offsite copy. You might come to some sort of useful complimentary arrangement with a friend. :-)

I'm thinking that a 1TB internal drive and a 1TB external drive will allow for backup and useful arrangements! :-)

Steve Agnew
2008-08-24, 16:17
You might not need a big server box. I'm using a cheap laptop and an external 1TB drive which is very handy (built-in screen & keyboard), quiet and takes up very little space in a cupboard. I have 2 extra drives to back up the music files.

Anyway, welcome. It's a great product and you will have a lot of fun.

Steve.

maggior
2008-08-24, 20:33
Dude why don't you go sell your dbpoweramp somewhere else! I am really sick of you pushing your freakin agenda for dbpoweramp. Every response is the same along with whatever your agenda is. Go sell you crap somewhere else Non reality!

Dude - how about you get your facts straight before you jump all over somebody here. nonreality is just a satisfied user of dbpoweramp. The author does in fact hang out on this forum, but you won't see him trying to push an agenda.

JJZolx
2008-08-24, 21:31
I'm thinking that a 1TB internal drive and a 1TB external drive will allow for backup and useful arrangements!

How large is your music library? Figure roughly 0.33 GByte per album. My library of 1800 albums averages about 0.30 GB per. You can save yourself some $ by sizing your drives big enough for your current library with room to grow for a couple of years, rather than buying the biggest available drive on the market.

So, figure:

Advertised Actual Albums
---------- -------- ------
1 TB 931 GB 2793
750 GB 698 GB 2094
640 GB 596 GB 1788
500 GB 465 GB 1395
400 GB 372 GB 1116

Right now, probably the best value per GB can be had with the Western Digital WD6400AAKS drive. It's both fast and inexpensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

spoon
2008-08-25, 02:11

I wish to clarify that NonReality is not affiliated with dBpoweramp (Illustrate) in anyway what so ever. It is also clear you have created a new account on this forum to hound NonReality.

For Illustrate, business ethics are much more important than making a quick buck, that is why in the past we have defended attacks on 3rd party rippers (such as CDex) from commercial operators trying to muddy its name, we are one of the very few companies to fund $$$$ to the lame devs as a thankyou for their hard work...