PDA

View Full Version : endless cycle of firmware updates

kh6idf
2008-08-20, 18:33
When I go to Squeezecenter, it does a firmware update. When I go back to Squeezenetwork, it says I new a firmware update to use Rhapsody (I'm a subscriber). etc. etc. Every time I go back and forth I get the firmware update(s). I normally use Squeeznetwork 99% of the time, so this is not a big problem, but this is not normal behavior.

hasemike
2008-08-20, 23:50
You get this behaviour when you have SC 7.01 running and switch to and from the SN. The SC 7.01 pushes older firmware to your receiver than the squeezenetwork.

As soon as you install 7.1 this problem goes away, but ofcourse 7.1 has it's own share of problems. I would be carefull with flashing all the time as the flash memory is not made to be flashed every few hours.

I find the whole duet experience very very beta :(

Nonreality
2008-08-21, 00:03
You get this behaviour when you have SC 7.01 running and switch to and from the SN. The SC 7.01 pushes older firmware to your receiver than the squeezenetwork.

As soon as you install 7.1 this problem goes away, but ofcourse 7.1 has it's own share of problems. I would be carefull with flashing all the time as the flash memory is not made to be flashed every few hours.

I find the whole duet experience very very beta :(Well it shouldn't act this way should it? You act like this is normal but it's not. It should update and then stop until another update. I really don't think there is any problem with updating but it's not normal to do it all the time.

Edit: Call support if it keeps doing this. It shouldn't.

y360
2008-08-21, 01:04
For Rhapsody it's best to install latest 7.2 nightly

kh6idf
2008-08-21, 04:15
OK, I've installed the 7.2 Nightly build of Squeezecenter.. After it finished, first thing it did was update the Squeezebox firmware (hopefully for the last time). SB3 firmware version now reads 112, is that the right version?

y360
2008-08-21, 04:32
yes 112 is latest

hasemike
2008-08-21, 06:31
Well it shouldn't act this way should it? You act like this is normal but it's not. It should update and then stop until another update. I really don't think there is any problem with updating but it's not normal to do it all the time.

Edit: Call support if it keeps doing this. It shouldn't.
I certainly do not think that this is normal, i currently have a ticket running at support that includes this silly behaviour. I responded to the TS because apparently he has exactly the same problem that i have.

Logitech should rename the duet in Squeezebox Beta-et ..

radish
2008-08-21, 17:25
It is normal. Firmware versions are tied to SC versions (and also, although somewhat differently, to the specific software version SN is currently running). It's not simply the case that v110 is "better" than v109, it's that one version will work with one version of SC and vice versa. It's perfectly possible that a new firmware simply won't work with an older server, and so the server automatically reflashes the player to avoid problems.

The term "upgrade" is probably a misnomer here, but I guess the assumption is that people will be running the latest official SC, and not going backwards.

peterw
2008-08-21, 18:19
It is normal. Firmware versions are tied to SC versions (and also, although somewhat differently, to the specific software version SN is currently running). It's not simply the case that v110 is "better" than v109, it's that one version will work with one version of SC and vice versa. It's perfectly possible that a new firmware simply won't work with an older server, and so the server automatically reflashes the player to avoid problems.

In the years I've been using Squeezeboxes, I have never seen a newer firmware fail to work with an older version of the server software. Have you?

The reason for the back-and-forth isn't really technical, it's economic. Logitech wants to minimize their support costs, and they've decided to make customers who switch between SC7 and SN go through firmware upgrade/downgrade cycles rather than spend more resources dealing with true compatibility problems. As I understand it, this isn't really what the developers & engineers want, it's something that the Quality Assurance folks are demanding. And depending on how you "value" the annoyance to users who switch back and forth, it's a perfectly rational decision.

Search the forums and you'll find instructions for configuring your local SqueezeCenter installation --whatever version that may be-- to accept the firmware that SqueezeNetwork forces you to install. It's not the best solution, but at least the Squeeze system is open enough to allow you such choices.

And with SC7 allowing access to virtually all SN services without disconnecting from SC7, the situation is considerably better than it used to / could be.

Have you opened an enhancement request ticket at bugs.slimdevices.com?

radish
2008-08-22, 09:17
In the years I've been using Squeezeboxes, I have never seen a newer firmware fail to work with an older version of the server software. Have you?

I've actually rarely tried :) But there would be situations I'd expect to see problems, for example changes to sync logic, or changes to supported formats. Imagine if SC thinks an SB3 can play a specific format native (because that was just added to the fw) but in fact it can't (because it's been held back).

You certainly can edit the config to hold back the version as you mention, and it'll work fine for most cases. I think it's a fair compromise to require the minority of people who want to run mismatched versions to do a little extra work so that the majority of us who don't can get automatic up/downgrades and a nice smooth experience.

The really unfortunate issue (which is a relatively new problem) arises with SN having it's own version requirements. I would think some work could go into making SN more tolerant of fw versions a few iterations each side of "ideal".

amorphia
2008-08-29, 01:30
Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem as the first poster. I followed the advice to upgrade to squeezecenter 7.1, which I did, and it solved the problem. For about a week. Now I just went to Rhapsody on Squeezenetwork, and it updated firmware, and now I'm back on the endless firmware update cycle.

I guess that updating to 7.2 might solve this but I don't want to because there isn't a version of AlienBBC which is officially for 7.2 yet. :(

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks!

Ben

bpa
2008-08-29, 01:40
AlienBBC 2.01 for 7.1 will work on 7.2.

The main code change in 7.2 is Boom support and new Alarms.

amorphia
2008-10-08, 07:35
Finally got around to updating and can confirm that it is working as bpa advertised. Brilliant! I love Rhapsody, but especially now that I'm on parental leave in a foreign land, I don't know what I'd do without Woman's Hour on Radio 4!

Cheers,

Ben

amorphia
2009-01-02, 14:44
Search the forums and you'll find instructions for configuring your local SqueezeCenter installation --whatever version that may be-- to accept the firmware that SqueezeNetwork forces you to install. It's not the best solution, but at least the Squeeze system is open enough to allow you such choices.

Any chance anyone could provide me a direct link to this information? I have searched for it without success.

The latest SN upgrade sometime last month has got me again. Upgrading SC worked last time but I really don't want to be forced to stay on the bleeding edge of SC all the time - my life does not include time for constant SC upgrades. I'm running SC on a little NAS box running linux so upgrading is not pain free, plus I'm always paranoid that vital stuff like alienBBC might stop working.

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers,

Ben

amorphia
2009-01-03, 14:07
I bit the bullet and did the update... so for what it's worth I thought I might as well report the results in case it's useful for anyone else. On a QNAP TS-109 II, running SSOTS 3.0beta13 to enable SqueezeCenter, the upgrade to SC 7.3 was fairly painless, and AlienBBC is working nicely (after very limited testing) and actually now has a slightly more user friendly install method for the 7.3 version. In fact, I am glad I upgraded because it seems that AlienBBC can now rebuffer listen again streams (previously for me it would just restart the stream, meaning I was limited to the live streams only).

Having said all that, I would still be very interested if someone could let me know the hack necessary so that I can now stop updating just because SqueezeNetwork updates their firmware!

Cheers,

Ben

amorphia
2009-02-05, 08:54
Having said all that, I would still be very interested if someone could let me know the hack necessary so that I can now stop updating just because SqueezeNetwork updates their firmware!

Cheers,

Ben

BOUNCE!!!

After the SC 7.3.2 update a few weeks ago, I am still flashing firmware everytime time I switch between SC and Rhapsody on SN. Because it is a pain in the neck to update SC on my QNAP server. Please can someone help me with this very irritating issue which is spoiling my otherwise great Squeezebox experience!

Cheers,

Ben