PDA

View Full Version : pretty close to smashing my transporter to bits

ratso
2008-08-20, 12:10
i'm really getting so sick of this. sorry not to be all sweetness and light right now, but i'm really frustrated. i have a transporter and use a mac, panther OSX. i used to stream OGG files to my transporter from MP3 locker, but i wanted to go lossless. so i go out and spend a lot of money and time buying a huge harddrive to keep my songs on and spending a week burning all my cd's to it. i use itunes lossless. now when i go to play a song, it just stutters and stops all through the song, like it's trying to rebuffer (only it never rebuffers). my internet connection is fine and i'm not wireless to the transporter (it is hard wired to a mac airport express downstairs which then gets it's signal from a new time capsule upstairs). please note that i have been using this setup for months with mp3 locker with only the usual amount of problems (i was going to say no problems, but i have never had NO problems with streaming). any advice from you kind people before i go hang myself.

tcutting
2008-08-20, 12:21
Is there a wireless connection between the airport express and the time capsule? If so, this may be a bottleneck - remember OGG files are more compressed than lossless files, so are quite a bit less network intensive, although you should be able to work OK even if there is a wireless link. If all is wired, don't know what the issue could be, other than the transcoding from "itunes lossless" (ALAC?) to whatever format you are sending to the transporter (FLAC?)

ratso
2008-08-20, 13:18
does anyone know the proper transcoding to use? under "file types" i have the apple lossless flac setting set to alac/flac, which is the only option available so i don't see how it could be wrong?

bhaagensen
2008-08-20, 13:25
...i use itunes lossless. now when i go to play a song, it just stutters and stops all through the song, like it's trying to rebuffer (only it never rebuffers)....
...please note that i have been using this setup for months with mp3 locker with only the usual amount of problems (i was going to say no problems, but i have never had NO problems with streaming). any advice from you kind people before i go hang myself.

By "itunes losseless" I guess you mean alac? This setup is very different from streaming ogg from mp3tunes. alac must be transcoded on the server as it is not natively supported by the TP, and the cause of your problems could be related to this. Since you're network is hardwired I guess bandwidth is not the problem (alac is often transcoded, and thus streamed in wav). That leaves the transcoding. I'm sorry I don't know the details, but I recall seeing some threads with similar symptoms related to alac. Hopefully this can help you sort out your problems.

Edit: Ah, just saw your post about transcoding. Again I don't know details, but I'd assume that alac/flac requires more processing power and less bandwith versus alac/wav which should be less processing power and more bandwidth.

bhaagensen
2008-08-20, 13:29
This thread could be of help:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45961&highlight=transcode+alac+wav

esbrewer
2008-08-20, 14:00
I routinely listen to ALAC files streaming as FLAC (using Inguz DRC) on 2 SB3s simultaneously - both synced and independently with no stuttering issues. My current server is an intel iMac running Leopard. I was able to the same thing on a quicksilver G4 circa 2001 running Tiger (minus the Inguz DRC which is really processor hungry).

The general sense I get from these forums is that bandwidth is almost never the issue - even with wireless connections. Many people who have issues with iTunes tend to point toward ALAC when problems arise, but if you poke around here long enough you'll find many of us use iTunes and ALAC with great results. Unless your server is grossly underpowered I'd be looking toward resolving network issues before ALAC issues or the TP.

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-20, 19:46
95% of my library is Apple Lossless but I prefer to stream as WAV to both my Transporter and SB3. It sounds a little better and actually takes LESS processing power on your Mac since FLAC isn't needing to open. Apple Lossless uses QuickTime to transcode and WAV files are an easy transposition for it.

Try that... UNCHECK all of the options to transcode to FLAC and transcode to WAV, except for FLAC native, and see if that helps.

You didn't say what kind of Mac you're using as your server.... I'm using a Mac MINI that's locked in a closet with nothing more than external HDs and ethernet connected to it. I access it over the network to add new music and it's been working since Nov. 2006 without issues!!

ratso
2008-08-20, 20:12
thanx to everyone for the replies. i do use a mac intel minis. as someone stated i find it hard to believe also that the issue with everyone is broadband related, it just doesn't seem to pass the smell test with me. as for what file types i use, i'm not really sure what they are classified as - i use itunes to burn into apple lossless, and the files are listed i believe as mp4's?

ratso
2008-08-20, 21:17
thanx eric! i read the above mentioned forum thread and have a slightly better idea of what to do now. i will try to encode my files as wav's and see if that helps. it might also have to do with what channel my router was set on (someone else suggested this). i will report tomorrow if all this helps. i don't mean to bitch about my transporter, i REALLY do want to love it. but as of now i just like it. the level of frustration i experience on a regular basis with this is just maddening sometimes. again, i ask slim the question. if i gave this to my mom and showed her how to use it and her songs started stuttering and stopping and i said, "well mom, you need to re-encode your files" just what do you think would happen??? shouldn't this all just work?

pfarrell
2008-08-20, 21:22
ratso wrote:
> sometimes. again, i ask slim the question. if i gave this to my mom and
> showed her how to use it and her songs started stuttering and stopping
> and i said, "well mom, you need to re-encode your files" just what do
> you think would happen??? shouldn't this all just work?

Networking is a four letter word. I ran Cat5 to my Transporter to avoid
all the potential problems.

Would your mom really demand more than MP3? Because MP3 is easy.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Goodsounds
2008-08-20, 21:50
shouldn't this all just work?

If you think about the three major operating software families that run PCs, the diversity of other hardware that is involved, the diversity of the condition of that hardware, the range of understanding and experience of the user community, the range of file types and music sources, and the wide range of external gremlins that all weigh in on trying to get your music or mine a pretty short distance, I would say that the answer to your question is :

"Yes, it should all just work, and for most people under most circumstances, it does". But when it doesn't it can be a bear.

I hope you get your issue resolved, it is real and you have discussed your problem in a mature and respectful way, given your understandable frustration.

peter
2008-08-20, 23:17
ratso wrote:
> thanx eric! i read the above mentioned forum thread and have a slightly
> better idea of what to do now. i will try to encode my files as wav's
> and see if that helps. it might also have to do with what channel my
> router was set on (someone else suggested this). i will report tomorrow
> if all this helps. i don't mean to bitch about my transporter, i REALLY
> do want to love it. but as of now i just like it. the level of
> frustration i experience on a regular basis with this is just maddening
> sometimes. again, i ask slim the question. if i gave this to my mom and
> showed her how to use it and her songs started stuttering and stopping
> and i said, "well mom, you need to re-encode your files" just what do
> you think would happen??? shouldn't this all just work?
>

Thank Apple for choosing yet another non-open proprietary lossless
format. BTW, this is exactly what the marketing guys at Apple want,
people choosing only Apple stuff because it plays so badly with other
devices. Do a few tests:

- Try a wired connection.
- Convert one of your files to flac and see if it still stutters.

It will narrow down the problem.

Regards,
Peter

Nonreality
2008-08-20, 23:31
thanx eric! i read the above mentioned forum thread and have a slightly better idea of what to do now. i will try to encode my files as wav's and see if that helps. it might also have to do with what channel my router was set on (someone else suggested this). i will report tomorrow if all this helps. i don't mean to bitch about my transporter, i REALLY do want to love it. but as of now i just like it. the level of frustration i experience on a regular basis with this is just maddening sometimes. again, i ask slim the question. if i gave this to my mom and showed her how to use it and her songs started stuttering and stopping and i said, "well mom, you need to re-encode your files" just what do you think would happen??? shouldn't this all just work?This relies on networking so there are many factors involved. It's not like hooking up a cd player. I understand your frustration but step back and breathe deeply and give it a chance. Your are using a non native format, not your fault or an excuse but give it a chance to work. If it were your grandma's I would say to use mp3 or flac but aac or mp4 works good too but a little more involved. It's in the Itunes world and they don't share as good so it takes a bit for companies to get them to work, I've seen this with most programs. But they do. You'll love it once you get the system worked out. I've seen a lot of people pissed and for good reason but it usually is a network or computer problem believe it or not. Not any slam on you or your computer but just the computer world. It is so varied that you have to work some things out my friend. I hope it is quick for you but I assure you that you will like it once it's working. If I had a transport I would try to give you more than a ra ra post. :)

urbanshepherd
2008-08-21, 02:14
Hi,

Do you use your Airport Express as a client (new firmware on 11n model) or as an AEBS client?

Previously I used the airport express as a bridge (like you're doing) to my squeezebox and my ps3. It didnt last. I found it could handle streaming of AAC 192 without problem, but Apple Lossless it constantly couldn't keep up. I even switched to a native 5ghz wlan and it still had the issues, so presume its not the network bandwidth but maybe something inherently wrong with the device.... Looking on the apple forums, and speaking to others, I'm definitely not alone in this issue with Lossless streaming on this device.

I switched to powerline (using Devolo Aveasy) and havent had a single problem since.

ratso
2008-08-21, 10:51
ratso wrote:[color=blue]

Would your mom really demand more than MP3? Because MP3 is easy.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

:)

anyways, i tried to change my file encoding to wav and...
nothing.

i mean really nothing. no noise. no music. switched all the files back, still nothing.

so to make a long story short, tech support is GREAT! with the help of one of their guys (thanx julius!) i am back up and running stutter free. basically had to trash all slim files and redownload them and power cycle my transporter. so for now at least all is well....