PDA

View Full Version : SB3 and Wake On LAN

Govnah
2008-08-20, 07:19
I have read where a SB3 will send the magic packet based on the last MAC and IP address of the server the SB3 was attached to....The problem is I can use an application that send the magic packet to wake up the PC running SS successfully, but when I power on any of 3 SB3, the SB3s do not wake up PC running SS. Is there another setting and I need to change or am I missing something here.

Thanks

syburgh
2008-08-20, 10:12
Do you see a message "Waking up SqueezeCenter" when powering on the SB3 with the server powered off? This feature was not always part of the SB3 firmware (AFAIK), so are you running a recent version of SC/SS?

You could also have issues if the SB3 is on a different IP subnet than the server, or if there is a network bridge between the server and the players (i.e. the SB3 sends the magic packet to the bridge MAC address, not the server MAC address).

MrJB
2008-08-20, 10:57
Make sure that 'Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby' box is checked in the Device Manager Properties -> Power Management menu for the LAN network controller card (assuming you are using Windows).

amcluesent
2008-08-20, 11:48
I could wake my server using a magic-packet sender on the laptpo, but SB3 initiated WOL only worked for me (finally!) after following the advice here - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44843

There's also a Windows oddity where after WOL but no keyboard activity it automatically sleeps again after two minutes. YOu need the Windows: Prevent System Standby While Playing plugin.

Govnah
2008-08-20, 17:48
I am confused. If the box is off and WOL is enabled in the BIOS and the 5v is on, indicated by the activity light on the NIC and on the MB....What does the OS have to do with WOL? As I said earlier, I am using the WOL APP from Solarwinds and that works just fine.

Thanks

Make sure that 'Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby' box is checked in the Device Manager Properties -> Power Management menu for the LAN network controller card (assuming you are using Windows).

Govnah
2008-08-20, 18:38
Yes I see "Waking up..." and I am on the same subnet 192.168.1.0/24. I am running SC 7.1.1

Do you see a message "Waking up SqueezeCenter" when powering on the SB3 with the server powered off? This feature was not always part of the SB3 firmware (AFAIK), so are you running a recent version of SC/SS?

You could also have issues if the SB3 is on a different IP subnet than the server, or if there is a network bridge between the server and the players (i.e. the SB3 sends the magic packet to the bridge MAC address, not the server MAC address).

syburgh
2008-08-21, 07:48
It sounds like the SC7 system supports WOL and is correctly configured

Is your SB3 connected using wired or wireless ethernet?
Is you server connected using wired or wireless ethernet?
If one is wired and the other is wireless then the wireless bridge could be the cause of the issue.

With the server off, power on the SB3 and press the left arrow button on the remote. Scroll through the "Squeezebox Setup" menu until you find "Current settings" (option 2 of 4, in my case). Within this menu you can view the value of the "SqueezeCenter MAC address". Confirm that this value matches the actual MAC address of the SC7 system. If it does not, it may match the MAC address of your wireless bridge. In this case you can edit the value and see if it sends the magic packet to the correct MAC address (I've no idea whether it is stored or not as this never been a problem for me).

If none of this is applicable to you, try connecting the PC and SB3 together directly using a patch cord and see if you can wake the PC using the SB3 (will need to assign IP addresses to both manually). This will isolate any network issues.

Govnah
2008-08-23, 11:47
Thanks dude that was the problem...the SB3 had the wrong MAC of the SC server and once I changed that all was good.

Thanks

It sounds like the SC7 system supports WOL and is correctly configured

Is your SB3 connected using wired or wireless ethernet?
Is you server connected using wired or wireless ethernet?
If one is wired and the other is wireless then the wireless bridge could be the cause of the issue.

With the server off, power on the SB3 and press the left arrow button on the remote. Scroll through the "Squeezebox Setup" menu until you find "Current settings" (option 2 of 4, in my case). Within this menu you can view the value of the "SqueezeCenter MAC address". Confirm that this value matches the actual MAC address of the SC7 system. If it does not, it may match the MAC address of your wireless bridge. In this case you can edit the value and see if it sends the magic packet to the correct MAC address (I've no idea whether it is stored or not as this never been a problem for me).

If none of this is applicable to you, try connecting the PC and SB3 together directly using a patch cord and see if you can wake the PC using the SB3 (will need to assign IP addresses to both manually). This will isolate any network issues.

jimdm
2008-08-31, 14:46
Reading this has fixed the same issue for me.

Thanks!
Jim

newy
2008-08-31, 19:50
I've never installed a plugin before but I think I need this one. Where do I find it and how do I install it? Thanks.

tamanaco
2009-02-20, 22:27
Is there a way to increase the SB3 timeout after it sends the Magic Packet to wake up the SC server when switching from the SqeezeNetwork to the SqueezeCenter? When I use the menu option "Connect to SqueezeCenter", while connected to the SN, the SB3 sends the Magic Packet and the server wakes up, but the SB3 times out just before the server is fully operational and displays a message asking to click the right arrow to connect to the server. Clicking the right arrow connects to the server, but seeing the error message on the SB3 display and having to click again is a bit annoying. The SB3 just needs to wait about 2 to 3 seconds longer. Btw, when switching from the SN I do not see the "Waking the SqueezeCenter" message that one get when the server is awaken via the SB3 remote power button. I think I heard about a similar timing problem when using the SB3 power button to wake up the server. Are these problems related? When I switch to the SN and my SC server does not detect connections in certain ports it goes to sleep after a few minutes. I mostly use the SC to listen to my Music Library and the SN to listen to Internet Radio and Music Services.

tamanaco
2009-02-25, 10:30
Well, I was wrong... is not the SB3 timing out as I mentioned in the previous post. Before I could not see what was happening because my SC server was hidden on the top shelf of a closet. I brought it down to test.

When one selects "Connect to SqueezeCenter" while connected to the SN no Magic Packet is sent to the server and the SB3 can not connect. After the SB3 times out trying to connect a message appears on the screen saying "Can't Connect to SqueezeCenter - Left to Go Back, Right to Try Again". Clicking right to try again sends the Magic Pocket and wakes up the server and everything is fine. If no clicking is done the SB3 times out after 30 seconds and the screen goes blank. I think the SB3 is polling the server to try to reconnect, but since it does not send a Magic Packet the server does not wake up.

Maybe the SB3 should have "options" to send the Magic Packet when one selects Connect to SqueezeCenter and when it polls the server to try to reconnect while the SB3 is in standby mode.

epoch1970
2009-02-25, 17:06
I've seen another identical request, maybe it is already a in bugzilla.
However, I personally don't feel the need for this; to wake my server from my SB3, I select the "Connect to SC" menu in SN, and press right *twice*, with a little delay between the 2 presses. The 1st press triggers disconnect from SN and connect to SC; The 2nd press is just in time to trigger sending the WOL packet. (ok, well press a few more times if you're too fast on the button, or if your connection to SN is slow)

I never see the "Cant connect" error message nor have to press on the power button to wake the server. (except if the server has crashed waking-up, but that's another story...)

tamanaco
2009-02-25, 22:16
I've seen another identical request, maybe it is already a in bugzilla.
However, I personally don't feel the need for this; to wake my server from my SB3, I select the "Connect to SC" menu in SN, and press right *twice*, with a little delay between the 2 presses. The 1st press triggers disconnect from SN and connect to SC; The 2nd press is just in time to trigger sending the WOL packet. (ok, well press a few more times if you're too fast on the button, or if your connection to SN is slow)

I know... I click right twice too... but the message is a little confusing and annoying. When the wife tries to switch from the SN to the SC server and the server has gone into standby she believes that there is something wrong. Some times (when the server is still up and running) she clicks twice and does not end up in the SC root menu. The instructions I give her have to be plain, simple and "consistent"... I'm not the only one using the SB3.

Mnyb
2009-02-26, 05:15
You don't need to click anything, the SB3 will show this fault message after wol, but it will fix itself after the SC machine is up just wait a couple of minutes.
It's how it works for me anyway, SB3 issues wol ,sb3 flashes fault msg, sb3 display goes dark, sb3 conects and show the normal menu.

tamanaco
2009-02-26, 06:36
You don't need to click anything, the SB3 will show this fault message after wol, but it will fix itself after the SC machine is up just wait a couple of minutes.
It's how it works for me anyway, SB3 issues wol ,sb3 flashes fault msg, sb3 display goes dark, sb3 conects and show the normal menu.

Are you using the Magic Packet to wake up your server? Are you switching from the SN to the SC server while the server is in sleep mode? The NIC in my server is set to Wake Up "on Magic". The Wake Up "on link" setting is turned "off" as I have others computers connected to the same switch that wake up the server when it is not needed. If I set the server to Wake Up on link then I'd experience the behavior that you mentioned. As far as I can tell, the Magic Packet is sent only when one clicks the right button twice or when the SB3 is powered on. It's never sent after the SB3 times out.

Mnyb
2009-02-26, 07:21
Are you using the Magic Packet to wake up your server? Are you switching from the SN to the SC server while the server is in sleep mode? The NIC in my server is set to Wake Up "on Magic". The Wake Up "on link" setting is turned "off" as I have others computers connected to the same switch that wake up the server when it is not needed. If I set the server to Wake Up on link then I'd experience the behavior that you mentioned. As far as I can tell, the Magic Packet is sent only when one clicks the right button twice or when the SB3 is powered on. It's never sent after the SB3 times out.

I always press the power on button on the remote and i boot my server on wol it's not in hibernation, that could explain the difference.
And i also have a controller, sometimes i wol from there but the sb3 behaves the same, it reconects after time out ?
I have only one machine on my net with wol the SC server it's not activated in my desktop, I'm not sure how the "wake on magic" or "wake on link" would translate to a linux server. but i think it wakes on magic only is its wired to my router all the time ?

tamanaco
2009-02-26, 07:42
I always press the power on button on the remote and i boot my server on wol it's not in hibernation, that could explain the difference.
And i also have a controller, sometimes i wol from there but the sb3 behaves the same, it reconects after time out ?
I have only one machine on my net with wol the SC server it's not activated in my desktop, I'm not sure how the "wake on magic" or "wake on link" would translate to a linux server. but i think it wakes on magic only is its wired to my router all the time ?

With Wake Up on Magic the NIC looks at pockets of traffic with its MAC address in the pocket header and for a specific series of numbers that make up the Magic Packet in the data field. Once it finds the token pattern it wakes up the computer. To Wake Up on Link the computer only looks at the header of the packet for its MAC address and then wakes up the server.

As far as I can tell, the SB3 only sents the Magic Token when one right clicks during the message I mentioned above and when the power button is pressed. When it times out it polls the server MAC address, but without sending the Magic Packet (Token number pattern).

gorman
2009-02-26, 10:17
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10695

This was deemed a duplicate of something else... I'm not sure it's the same thing (it doesn't appear so, but maybe technologically it is).

tamanaco
2009-02-26, 10:25
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10695

This was deemed a duplicate of something else... I'm not sure it's the same thing (it doesn't appear so, but maybe technologically it is).

Right...it looks like a duplicate of a bug that was solved for the "Controller", but it does not appear that it has been solved for the "SB/3". Maybe someone in the know can shine some light on the subject.

aubuti
2009-02-26, 11:18
Right...it looks like a duplicate of a bug that was solved for the "Controller", but it does not appear that it has been solved for the "SB/3". Maybe someone in the know can shine some light on the subject.
I agree that they are separate issues, and btw, it has not been solved for the Controller :-( . The status was recently changed from assigned-to-Dean to "unassigned", but it doesn't appear to be resolved yet.

But it would be a good idea to add a comment to bug 10191 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10191) indicating that these are two distinct bugs.

tamanaco
2009-02-26, 11:47
But it would be a good idea to add a comment to bug 10191 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10191) indicating that these are two distinct bugs.

It took me a little while to figure out how to vote using this new version of Bugzilla, but I eventually added my vote. There are only 4 votes so far, so I guess we need more folks to add theirs.

I believe that the Magic Packet should be sent "every" time the SB3 (or any player for that matter) performs the polling function to connect to the server.

aubuti
2009-02-26, 12:00
It took me a little while to figure out how to vote using this new version of Bugzilla, but I eventually added my vote. There are only 4 votes so far, so I guess we need more folks to add theirs.
Actually bug 10695 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10695) only appears to have *2* votes (including mine). But thanks for your vote on bug 10181 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10181), which is more important to me (at least a couple keypresses works with SB3s, whereas it takes the WOL plugin to bring a player back from SN with the SBC). Also note that the devs have now recognized that the two bugs are distinct, and have re-opened bug 10695 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10695).

tamanaco
2009-02-26, 12:20
Ok, I added my vote to 10695