PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver & Apple Time Capsule

chopper38
2008-08-20, 07:18
I am transferring over to mac from windows and need to know a few things...

I want to buy the time capsule and was wondering whether I can link my slimserver directly to the capsule with an ethernet cable and play music direct from the capsule without the macbook being on?

any help would be much appreciated

paul

spinaltap
2008-08-20, 08:32
I'm a Mac user (20 years experience) and was initially tempted by Time Capsule....

However, for partnering with a Squeezebox, I wouldn't risk buying Time Capsule.

I would buy this unit from LaCie instead...

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10994

Unlike Time Capsule it has Axentra HipServ™ on board..

http://www.axentra.com/en/products/hipserv/

bfg58simon
2008-08-20, 11:33
Hi, I'm looking at doing the same thing with a mac - does that mean I can install and run Slimserver (with several wireless SB's) on the LaCie and keep the mac switched off?

chopper38
2008-08-20, 12:42
Ok this is what I want to do...

A. Link up my slimserver to a wireless hard drive via usb or ethernet and access my music without having to turn on a laptop to control everything.

B. Use a Macbook to wirelessly access a hard drive and view files.

C. Use a wireless hard drive to backup my files.

D. Link the wireless hard drive to my PS3 as well as the slimserver, in order to access movies and saved data.

I've noticed that the Lacie has 1 ethernet port and 1 usb. Would there be any way to multiply the ehternet port to 2? Or would I have to use usb for the PS3?

Really appreciate your help!

shake-the-disease
2008-08-20, 23:11
Ok this is what I want to do...

A. Link up my slimserver to a wireless hard drive via usb or ethernet and access my music without having to turn on a laptop to control everything.

B. Use a Macbook to wirelessly access a hard drive and view files.

C. Use a wireless hard drive to backup my files.

D. Link the wireless hard drive to my PS3 as well as the slimserver, in order to access movies and saved data.

I've noticed that the Lacie has 1 ethernet port and 1 usb. Would there be any way to multiply the ehternet port to 2? Or would I have to use usb for the PS3?

Really appreciate your help!
Lacie can't run SqueezeCenter.

It look like you are after 2 things
1) a file server
2) an application server to run squeezecenter.

As a file server you could use any NAS, timecapsule being one option

As an application server to run squeezecenter, you could either double duty a NAS (such as a QNAP 109) to perform the task, or use a seperate computer to run it (eg an Asus eee-box). The disadvantage with running SC on most NASs is slow performance for browsing & scanning your music library. The advantage is cost.

pfarrell
2008-08-20, 23:22
shake-the-disease wrote:
> It look like you are after 2 things
> 1) a file server
> 2) an application server to run squeezecenter.
>
> As a file server you could use any NAS, timecapsule being one option
>
> As an application server to run squeezecenter, you could either double
> duty a NAS (such as a QNAP 109) to perform the task, or use a seperate
> computer to run it (eg an Asus eee-box). The disadvantage with running
> SC on most NASs is slow performance for browsing & scanning your music
> library. The advantage is cost.

The lowest purchase cost is to use an old PC with linux. Nearly any old
PC will work, anything with a 1 GHz processor and about 512 of RAM is
enough. Add disks to suit.

Rather than have two boxes, as shake suggests, I recommend one box to
rule them all

>>> A. Link up my slimserver to a wireless hard drive via usb or ethernet

This is a really bad idea. Disks really need to be connected to the
SqueezeCenter computer, preferably by a IDE or SATA connection. An
external disk can work, but internal disks are dirt cheap and work a lot
better.

New 1/2 TB disks are under $200, and a $200 PC from CraigsList will
easily run it all.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

chopper38
2008-08-24, 06:08
Someone stated Lacie will not work with Squeezebox?

So...Will I be able to play music via my squeezebox and time capsule, without having to turn on my macbook?

Mnyb
2008-08-24, 06:47
No i don't think so the squeezebox needs it's server, you must have squeezecenter running on something, can you install programs on the timecapsule ? and what is it's spec ram, processor etc. So its unlikely that this will work

chrisinparis
2008-08-25, 01:58
Someone stated Lacie will not work with Squeezebox?
It will work fine as a network storage space; but although the Edmini has an embedded DNLA server, this cannot be used to stream music to a squeezebox.

So...Will I be able to play music via my squeezebox and time capsule, without having to turn on my macbook?
No. For the same reason as you cannot use the Edmini - you have no SqueezeCenter in the picture to serve up the music.

chopper38
2008-08-25, 09:44
what if I was to link up my sqeezebox and my time capsule with an ethernet cable?

No network would be needed and the squeezebox would access the music via a cable?

possible or not?

Mnyb
2008-08-25, 11:22
what if I was to link up my sqeezebox and my time capsule with an ethernet cable?

No network would be needed and the squeezebox would access the music via a cable?

possible or not?

No

The cable is the Network, the smallest possible network only 2 pionts but the same ethernet protocolls apply IP-adresses and such, but thats not the piont.

The SB's MUST have connection to SqueezeCenter software or SqueezeNetwork otherwise they are useless.

For local files you install SqueezeCenter, the client SB is not so smart it nows nothing, every command pressed on an ir-remote or controller goes to the server software (SqueezeCenter) who runs the show and streams the proper file's to the SB and issue other comands such as volume.
The database index of your files is in SqueezeCenter so the SB would not find anything without it, it can only play streams sent to it, it does not have enough brain to find files and read tags on it's own.
If you have a classic squeezebox SB1,2,3 even such things as the graphics is on the screen is made by the SqueezeCenter.

jmack
2008-09-19, 15:55
Is it possible to run Slimserver on an Apple Time Capsule?

I understand there is a way to compile a linux script on an Apple. Can this be applied to the TC?