PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to get an SB1 to work with 24bit FLAC?

m1abrams
2008-08-20, 05:06
Well I am surprised I had not run into this before but I guess I never played any tracks that were 24bit encoded on the SB1 until recently.

So I was wondering if anyone has a solution to either setup SC to transcode them to 16bit or if not that just not let the SB1 play them. The high pitch squeal can not be good for my speakers, I know it is not good for my ears.

Biggest concern is I like to use the SB1 synced to other players and usually use a random playlist when using it this way.

funkstar
2008-08-20, 06:22
The problem is that the SB1 needs the FLAC transcoded to either WAV or MP3 to play. No idea if command line arguments can be added to convert.conf to reduce the bit depth of the output for the SB1.

m1abrams
2008-08-20, 06:38
The problem is that the SB1 needs the FLAC transcoded to either WAV or MP3 to play. No idea if command line arguments can be added to convert.conf to reduce the bit depth of the output for the SB1.

Yeah that is what I was wondering is if an argument to the transcoding that is already happening because it is an SB1 to convert the 24bit FLAC to 16bit WAV. However I suspect that FLAC does not allow this because then it would not be a lossless conversion. Do not see any command line options to do that from the standard flac decoder. Probably would need to pipe the 24bit wav to something else to downconvert it. I bet if I convert to MP3 it would be fine.

radish
2008-08-20, 10:57
According to the docs it looks as if you should be able to use --bps to set the output sample size.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tools_flac.html#format_options

funkstar
2008-08-21, 00:00
According to the docs it looks as if you should be able to use --bps to set the output sample size.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tools_flac.html#format_options
That sounds like it would work. I did have a look yesterday, but missed that option :)

Nonreality
2008-08-21, 00:15
That sounds like it would work. I did have a look yesterday, but missed that option :)
Not sure but I think you could use dbpoweramp to convert to a format that would work. Actually any program that can convert.

funkstar
2008-08-21, 01:20
Not sure but I think you could use dbpoweramp to convert to a format that would work. Actually any program that can convert.
Yeah, that would work too, but then it would leave you with a 16bit file for all players. Adding the --bps:16 argument to convert.conf means an SB2 and higher will get the native FLAC at 24bit and the SB1 will get 16bit audio.

m1abrams
2008-08-21, 04:47
That would of course work, but I would rather not have to keep multiple copies of music for different players.

I am not sure the --bps flag works on the decode, I will try it when I get home tonight. I have search other forums about the --bps on flac and that does not seem to work for decode. Honestly I would be surprised if flac supportted converting from 24bit down to 16bit since it would be lossy at that point. What I am looking for is something that I can pipe through the decode process of slimserver to handle the conversion.

peter
2008-08-21, 07:48
m1abrams wrote:
> Nonreality;331089 Wrote:
>
>> Not sure but I think you could use dbpoweramp to convert to a format
>> that would work. Actually any program that can convert.
>>
> That would of course work, but I would rather not have to keep multiple
> copies of music for different players.
>
> I am not sure the --bps flag works on the decode, I will try it when I
> get home tonight. I have search other forums about the --bps on flac
> and that does not seem to work for decode. Honestly I would be
> surprised if flac supportted converting from 24bit down to 16bit since
> it would be lossy at that point. What I am looking for is something
> that I can pipe through the decode process of slimserver to handle the
> conversion.
>

Sounds like a job for Sox:

"The Swiss Army knife of sound processing programs. SoX is a
cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc.) command line utility that
can convert various formats of computer audio files in to other formats.
It can also apply various effects to these sound files, and, as an added
bonus, SoX can play and record audio files on many major platforms."

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Peter

m1abrams
2009-01-27, 12:06
So now that SC has SoX support builtin will SC automaticly downconvert the FLAC files to a format the player can support?

Also if you have a mixed player setup, say a SB1 and a SB3 and they are synced will it downconvert for both or just the one that needs it?

Thanks

Phil Leigh
2009-01-27, 12:18
So now that SC has SoX support builtin will SC automaticly downconvert the FLAC files to a format the player can support?

Also if you have a mixed player setup, say a SB1 and a SB3 and they are synced will it downconvert for both or just the one that needs it?

Thanks

yes it will automatically downconvert - no idea what it does with an SB1 but works fine with SB3 and a Boom synced..

m1abrams
2009-03-09, 10:14
yes it will automatically downconvert - no idea what it does with an SB1 but works fine with SB3 and a Boom synced..

Sorry for the long delay in response however after many trials the latest SC does not downconvert my 24/44.1 files to 16/44.1 for playback on my SB1.

Mick Seymour
2009-03-10, 01:04
It seems SC only transcodes based on sample rate so if the files sample rate is 44.1k and the player is capable of playing 44.1k no transcoding takes place.

I had a similar problem with SoftSqueeze as it can play 44.1k sample rate files but not any bit rate higher than 16. SC ignores this limitation.

After much asking and no answers, I ended up creating a custom-convert.conf file with the following entry:

flc flc softsqueeze *
# FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -b 16 -r 44.1k -

Change softsqueeze to squeezebox1 and you should be in business.

It does mean that even 16/44.1k files run through sox for the SB1 but it works well for me.

EDIT: Don't forget to restart SC after creating custom-convert.conf.

m1abrams
2009-03-10, 05:24
It seems SC only transcodes based on sample rate so if the files sample rate is 44.1k and the player is capable of playing 44.1k no transcoding takes place.

I had a similar problem with SoftSqueeze as it can play 44.1k sample rate files but not any bit rate higher than 16. SC ignores this limitation.

After much asking and no answers, I ended up creating a custom-convert.conf file with the following entry:

flc flc softsqueeze *
[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -b 16 -r 44.1k -

It does mean that even 16/44.1k files run through sox for the SB1 but it works well for me.

Thank you I will give it a shot this evening.

m1abrams
2009-03-10, 10:01

flc flc softsqueeze *

Since the SB1 does not support FLAC your example might need to be modified to this:

flc wav softsqueeze *
[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -C 0 -b 16 -r 44.1k -

Does that look right?

Also could I use something similar to enforce replay gain for the SB1 since the SB1 hardware can not handle replay gain locally like the SB3?

Mick Seymour
2009-03-10, 10:36
That looks like it should work (changing softsqueeze to squeezebox1). I don't think the 'D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}' in my example is required as it isn't used but I left it in, things worked, and I have not touched it since!

I don't know what you would need to do for replay gain as I'm not sure where in the pipeline that is handled.