PDA

View Full Version : I'm grumpy

rh2600
2008-08-20, 02:04
Just spent an hour mucking around with the duet after returning from a few days away.

I had fully powered down all units during my absence, and struggled enough on my return to eventually gave up and perform factory resets on both the controller and receiver to get them all working again.

I had booted up the receiver first, followed by the PC. The receiver had the standard 'bright blue' telling me it couldn't find the server. I expected this, so booted up the controller in order to get it the receiver to notice the server again and reconnect. No dice. The controller claimed to see the receiver, and wouldn't allow me to re-select it as if it had no connection to player. Factory reseting the controller didn't appear to make much difference. It saw the 'new' receiver, but still couldn't get it to connect to my server.

In an "always-on" environment I'm sure these things work great, but in a non-specific order boot-up scenario it feels like guess-work and how you hold your tongue - until you give up and go through the factory reset process which apart from taking a while also loses my customisations etc...

Just thought I'd put it out there that for me at least, the Slim experience is nowhere near as clear and simple as I was expecting. These devices need to be a lot more robust and forgiving in terms of connectivity etc.

end rant..

hasemike
2008-08-20, 07:15
Feeling just the same as you, i had a squeezebox classic and i wish i kept that. Instead i sold it and got the duet, nothing but problems since i have it. It loses connection, is slow to wake up from sleep, needs a factory reset due to some weird error with the menu items that i have sometimes, does not wake my server from sleep, and works only a few hours on a charge.

Really dissapointed in slim devices, this duet is a beta product at best.

Sorry about the rant, but this is the rant thread.

I give the item a few more days but otherwise it is duet --> Ebay.

amcluesent
2008-08-20, 10:08
>I'm grumpy<

So, plenty of posters are dopey. Don't know what happened to sneezy and sleepy :)

Pale Blue Ego
2008-08-20, 11:08
At this point, the "classic" Squeezebox (SB3) is more robust and trouble-free. Given the 1-piece nature of the SB3 vs the 2-piece Duet system, this might always be so. The Duet does offer things the SB3 can't do, and is an interesting platform in itself for future development. Yeah, I know this doesn't help much when you're struggling to get the thing working.

Maybe develop your own bootup sequence for the server/router/Receiver/Controller. Like any other group of networked devices, power-up order often matters a lot.

Nonreality
2008-08-21, 02:41
Just spent an hour mucking around with the duet after returning from a few days away.

I had fully powered down all units during my absence, and struggled enough on my return to eventually gave up and perform factory resets on both the controller and receiver to get them all working again.

I had booted up the receiver first, followed by the PC. The receiver had the standard 'bright blue' telling me it couldn't find the server. I expected this, so booted up the controller in order to get it the receiver to notice the server again and reconnect. No dice. The controller claimed to see the receiver, and wouldn't allow me to re-select it as if it had no connection to player. Factory reseting the controller didn't appear to make much difference. It saw the 'new' receiver, but still couldn't get it to connect to my server.

In an "always-on" environment I'm sure these things work great, but in a non-specific order boot-up scenario it feels like guess-work and how you hold your tongue - until you give up and go through the factory reset process which apart from taking a while also loses my customisations etc...

Just thought I'd put it out there that for me at least, the Slim experience is nowhere near as clear and simple as I was expecting. These devices need to be a lot more robust and forgiving in terms of connectivity etc.

end rant..Man I'm not sure how to help you but maybe a boot order would help. Maybe use your router to make a static boot order. Then turn them on one at a time. This might help with the way you are now. Just start one until it boots up don't start the other. If not set the order in your router. Most routers allow this without going totally static. Just set the devices one at a time. I'm sure this is the problem. You just have to slow down the process or assign them. I set all my computers in the router, it's not totally static, I wish I could remember the setting but it does assign certain computers to ip's. It's pretty simple, take a look in your router settings. Hope this helps.

I'm for sure "Sleepy"

rh2600
2008-08-21, 12:04
All my IPs are static/reserved on the router, it's not actually the boot order, nor is having to muck around waiting and starting things up in a special order particular acceptable... I might as well put an LP on ;)

Nonreality
2008-08-22, 11:03
All my IPs are static/reserved on the router, it's not actually the boot order, nor is having to muck around waiting and starting things up in a special order particular acceptable... I might as well put an LP on ;)Was talking about just trying it once but nevermind.