PDA

View Full Version : SB1 extremely poor sound quality?

coppo23
2008-08-20, 00:12
I just bought a squeezebox SB1 on ebay (thought it was SB2 - nevermind) It is intended for workshop use so sound quality needed to be car radio ish or better. On wired ethernet it is appalling -sounds like a VERY low rate mp3 down a long thin tube. Headphone and RCA outputs both. (Can't try it wireless as it doesn't support wpa.) There is no bit rate limiting set and I am streaming flac as native. I am running 7.3 sc and duets and transporter elsewhere - they are fine. Is this expected from a SB1 or is it likely to be faulty?
The other thing I have noticed is that it seems to 'upset' the duets when it is plugged in and connected - they also exhibit poor sound quality - which corrects itself when the SB1 isn't present.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Coppo

mherger
2008-08-20, 00:22
> try it wireless as it doesn't support wpa.) There is no bit rate
> limiting set and I am streaming flac as native. I am running 7.3 sc and

SB1 doesn't play FLAC. It will have to be transcoded to mp3 (or wav?).
What does it say it's playing?

Michael

coppo23
2008-08-20, 00:56
> try it wireless as it doesn't support wpa.) There is no bit rate
> limiting set and I am streaming flac as native. I am running 7.3 sc and

SB1 doesn't play FLAC. It will have to be transcoded to mp3 (or wav?).
What does it say it's playing?

Michael

Thanks.
I briefly went through all the sb1 menus last night but didn't come accross anything like 'status'. How do I tell what format it is accepting? (If I didn't know better I would guess at about 32kbs mp3 it sounds so bad.)

I did try bit rate limiting it to 192K -but it didn't make any difference to the sound - ran out of time to play further last night. I can't generally change flac to be transcoded - must do it only for the SB1 if it is to be of any use.
Andy

mherger
2008-08-20, 01:11
> I briefly went through all the sb1 menus last night but didn't come
> accross anything like 'status'. How do I tell what format it is
> accepting?

On the currently playing item press RIGHT. Or click on it in the web UI.

Michael

funkstar
2008-08-20, 01:25
On wired ethernet it is appalling -sounds like a VERY low rate mp3 down a long thin tube. Headphone and RCA outputs both. (Can't try it wireless as it doesn't support wpa.)
The network connection will have no bearing on the audio output. It's all TCP/IP traffic, how it is delivered is imaterial.

bpa
2008-08-20, 01:27
Try changing the LAME quality level in Setting/Player/Audio.

radish
2008-08-20, 11:01
To answer your original question, the SB1 sound quality should be fine, certainly comparable with any of the other players and better than any car radio.

Can you try the digital outs? It may be a physical fault somewhere (what you describe sounds like the effect I've had with shorted interconnects).

coppo23
2008-08-20, 11:46
To answer your original question, the SB1 sound quality should be fine, certainly comparable with any of the other players and better than any car radio.

Can you try the digital outs? It may be a physical fault somewhere (what you describe sounds like the effect I've had with shorted interconnects).

Thanks for all the help. Knowing it was worth persisting with I've finally got it all working (I think). It appeared there was some funny between SC 7.3 and the squeezebox. I clicked on the sc option to revert the squeezebox to its default settings and when it restarted the sound was OK - though it had lost its display and continuously complained of lost contact with SC - even though it would play OK. I had to restart SC and then everything is fine. I can recreate the poor sound by turning off bit limiting, setting bit limiting to anything above 192K and encoder quality at 1 or 2 seems fast and good enough sound quality. I tried bit limiting yesterday - but I think SC wasn't making the change correctly.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work reliably (or at all) is synchronisation - but for its main purpose in my workshop - this doesn't matter. (I had thought to make it the 'floating' squeezebox for parties and such - but will move a duet if this should ever be needed.