PDA

View Full Version : Possible to stream any audio stream from my laptop to my Squeezebox?

aaron_in_sf
2008-08-19, 01:10
This may be a dumb question, but I can't find the answer -- or perhaps, just the right way to search for my question.

Is there any way to stream an arbitrary audio stream from my [XP] laptop to my Squeezebox?

E.g. I am working in some audio software with DirectSound output and would like to install an audio driver that actually pipes my audio to my squeezebox as a stream in real time.

Don't mind installing plugins, etc.

Fwiw we use our Squeezebox to listen to streaming media 100% of the time. We thought we'd use SqueezeServer (now center I take it) to listen to our own MP3s but we can't be bothered. So maybe this is obvious is you use it?

Any pointers tips or clear statements of impossibility would be very much appreciated!

Apologies if this is indeed a FAQ... :/

best,
aaron

andynormancx
2008-08-19, 01:14
What you want to search for is the WaveInput plugin.

bpa
2008-08-19, 01:17
If your laptop is running Windows then you could use the WaveInput plugin. It streams the audio with a small delay due to buffering, transmission etc.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

If you are using Linux - there is another WaveInput for Linux.

If you are using a Mac/OSX - I think no ready solution at present.

aaron_in_sf
2008-08-19, 01:57
Thanks! :D

Deep bow.

aaron_in_sf
2008-08-19, 14:33
Hmm, stuck again. :/

I got SqueezeCenter 7.1.x running, whatever the current XP d/l is.
I installed the plugin.
To get it to appear in the plugins list, I had to edit a file in that was showing it as valid only for versions 7.0+, which I changed to *. The plugin now appears and is enabled (checked) on my Plugins list in SqueezeCenter settings.
Next I determined that having a Sigmatel-equipped Dell, I had to do some chicanery to get the appropriate 'Stereo Mix' option enabled in the Recording Control pane. Got that working and it is currently selected and maxed.

My question is, from what I can tell from the WaveIn wiki page, I should see new entries under File Type in the Advanced pane of the SqueezeCenter settings, named something like "Wave Input."

I do not see these entries; only normal types like AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, Wavpack, etc. Nothing like "Wave Input".

Am I correct that the reason I can't get this to work is that these are missing?

Any ideas on how to enable them in XP/SqueezeCenter 7.1.x? Or do I need to find an old 7.0 build? (I tried that first but haven't found one anywhere on the Logitech/Slim site... if they're archived they're well hidden!)

so close....!

best,
aaron

aaron_in_sf
2008-08-19, 20:04
Update: I got it working, but I had to do a clean install of SqueezeCenter and WaveInput.

I'm chasing latency/quality issues now, but basically it's working. I suspect my current Dell Lattitude stock Sigmatel drivers and/or hardware are at fault for quality problems; I seem to be getting distortion and significant latency (even with small buffers (2x2048) several seconds.

Technical question if anyone knows, what determines when FLAC is used? When I play wavIn:0, sometimes it shows "0, wavin", sometimes "0, wav" and sometimes "o, flc" -- without me changing the ultimate sound player I'm using... and I'm certainly not playing flac files... a mystery.

Thanks for the pointer!
aaron

bpa
2008-08-20, 00:23
For latency discussion - see some of the early post in the original "Announce:Wavinput" thread.

Technical question if anyone knows, what determines when FLAC is used?

Principally the setting for the wavin filetype. If FLAC was disabled then SC would use WAV. If Flac and WAV were disable then SC would transcode into MP3.

However, there are some other considerations. If the target player cannot play Flac (e.g. SB1) then WAV would be used. Also if bit rate limiting was enabled then MP3 would be used.

When I play wavIn:0, sometimes it shows "0, wavin", sometimes "0, wav" and sometimes "o, flc" -- without me changing the ultimate sound player I'm using... and I'm certainly not playing flac files... a mystery.

What is displayed is mainly cosmetic for user consumption and the plugin can override it. For example the "0" is the bit rate - and clearly 0 is not correct. I suspect some of the variations would result from using "Tune-in" vs a Favorites entry and if you have been playing around with various players and/or File Types settings.

Normally I would expect the wavin audio stream would be converted to Flac before being sent to an SB3. With no loss in audio quality, this is most efficient use of bandwidth and maximises use of SB3 buffer space.

The best way to be sure what is exactly happening is
1. Use Task manager (or Process Explorer) and see what applications are running.
2. Enable logging player.source to INFO and look at the log files.