PDA

View Full Version : Music Library and SC memory usage

ralphpnj
2008-08-18, 04:22
In a related thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=50698) SqueezeCenter's memory footprint was discussed but after reading through the thread I failed to see any mention of what correlation exists between the size of one's music library and SqueezeCenter's memory usage. So I'll ask the question directly:

What, if any, is the correlation between the size of one's music library and the amount of memory used by SqueezeCenter?

Additional questions:

How can one reduce the total memory usage? And what plugins are safe to unload?

Here are my latest statics for memory usage, SqueezeCenter info, plugins (with usage noted) and music library statistics

Memory usage (taken from Windows Task Manager):

squeez~1.exe = 300,264K
squeezetray.exe = 2,296K
mysqld.exe = 14,044K

SqueezeCenter Information:

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 22170 @ Mon Jul 28 13:36:57 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.105
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Platform Architecture: 586
Hostname: DellTurbo
Server Port Number: 9000
Total Players Recognized: 3

Plugins (unchecked or grayed out plugins are not listed):

Album Review (v2.4.99)
Biography (v2.4.99)
Customize Controller (v0.1)
Date and Time Screensaver (v1.0)*
Date and Time Screensaver*
Digital Inputs (v1.0)
Information Browser (v1.0)
Last.fm Audioscrobbler (v1.0)
Last.fm Radio (v1.0)**
Lazy Search Music (v3.1)
Live Music Archive (v1.0)
Live365 (v2.0)*
MP3tunes Music Locker (v1.0)*
MusicIP (v1.0)*
My Radio Stations (v0.1)
Pandora (v3.0)**
PlayLog (v0.2)
Podcasts (v1.0)*
Radio IO (v1.0)*
RadioTime (v1.0)*
Random Mix (v1.0)*
Rescan Music Library (v1.0)
Rhapsody (v1.0)
RSS News Ticker (v1.0)
Save Playlist (v1.0)
Server & Network Health (v1.0)
SHOUTcast (v1.0)*
SIRIUS Internet Radio (v1.0)*
Slacker (v1.0)*
SlimTris (v1.0)*
Snow Screensaver (v1.1)*
Sounds & Effects (v1.0)*
Staff Picks (v1.0)
SuperDateTime Screensaver (v5.5.1)
Visualizer Screensaver (v1.0)
Windows: Prevent System Standby While Playing (v1.0)

* these are the plugins I may currently not using
** I may presently living the Netherlands, where either Last.fm or Pandora work but I will be returning in October to the US, where both of these services function.

Library Statistics:

Total Tracks: 75,408
Total Albums: 5,535
Total Artists: 3,396
Total Genres: 119
Total Playing Time: 6797:22:43

Thanks in advance for your responses.

ModelCitizen
2008-08-18, 04:44
Crikey. 300mb RAM usage. That's a lot!

I am worried that 7.2 and MusicIP has increased my memory footprint but SqueezeCenter currently uses a max of 130mb (and MusicIP another 30mb). I should stop worrying.

I am running XP and my library consists of:
Total Tracks: 23,746
Total Albums: 1,790
Total Artists: 863
Total Genres: 58

Why don't you try disabling all your plugins and see what happens to memory usage... and then just add in the ones you actually need and have a look at which ones that increase your RAM usage?

MC

ralphpnj
2008-08-18, 04:59
Why don't you try disabling all your plugins and see what happens to memory usage... and then just add in the ones you actually need and have a look at which ones that increase your RAM usage?

MC

Mr. Citizen,

I suppose that I could try doing as you suggest but that wouldn't answer my first (and at least to me, more important) question regarding the correlation between the size of one's music library and the amount of memory used by SqueezeCenter. Basically, I feel that SqueezeCenter and large music libraries do not play well together, i.e. slow response times, increased(?) memory usage, etc., but I've yet to see any acknowledgment of this by anyone else here on the Slim Devices forum, especially by anyone directly associated with Slim Devices, and I'd like to know if my suspicions are true.

More to the point, does there exist some kind of accounting which lists the various plugins and the their respective memory usage? Plus, does the size of one's music library also have an impact on the memory usage of the various plugins?

ModelCitizen
2008-08-18, 05:45
It is noticeable how the web interface speeds up if you only use a subset of your library (as I sometimes do for testing). I imagine the RAM footprint might be affected by the size of a library but have not personally noticed any change as the size of my library has increased.

If you want to know for use if the RAM usage is affected by library size why not make a subset of yours and see if usage changes?

The plugins are definitely known make a difference to memory usage (hence my suggestion), but I've not heard of any documentation detailing the individual RAM usage of plugins (and would be dead surprised if any existed).

MC

iPhone
2008-08-18, 05:50
Mr. Citizen,

I suppose that I could try doing as you suggest but that wouldn't answer my first (and at least to me, more important) question regarding the correlation between the size of one's music library and the amount of memory used by SqueezeCenter. Basically, I feel that SqueezeCenter and large music libraries do not play well together, i.e. slow response times, increased(?) memory usage, etc., but I've yet to see any acknowledgment of this by anyone else here on the Slim Devices forum, especially by anyone directly associated with Slim Devices, and I'd like to know if my suspicions are true.

More to the point, does there exist some kind of accounting which lists the various plugins and the their respective memory usage? Plus, does the size of one's music library also have an impact on the memory usage of the various plugins?

I am only running 11 plugins and I am at 133,000K for SC. I also have a large library. SqueezeTray seems very big on my system at 15,216K and Mysqld is at 17,972K. Another memory issue to consider is how much memory your IE is using if you have the WebUI open. Including IE if the WebUI is open would give you the total memory footprint of having Music playing.

Squeeze on your system is just over double the amount of memory use as on mine. So with all the active pluggins you have listed, one would assume that the plugins are where the differences are. I think MC is on the right track by suggesting that you disable a good number of plugins and see how much that affects the memory usage total. I need to figure out why SqueezeTray is using more memory on my system when I never use the thing anyway.