PDA

View Full Version : too much bass

chinaski
2008-08-17, 09:38
I have a duet system and am hearing far too much bass when using the system. It's a standard system with the server wired to the router and the receiver/controller wireless. I have ripped the collection as FLAC, and when I play anything the bass is overwhelming. I can play a cd through the system and it sounds perfect; play the same cd through the duet and I get the bass.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but putting it out there for suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

chinaski

dean
2008-08-17, 10:47
End-to-end, the Squeezebox system should color your music very very little.

What inputs are you using on your stereo? Some folks inadvertently use the "phono" input on their stereo, which has an inappropriate equalization curve, level and impedance mismatch.

radish
2008-08-17, 10:49
How is the SBR connected to your amp? It sounds like you may have connected it to an input designed for a turntable (might be labeled "Phono"). Those connection apply an equalization curve which increases the bass a lot.

maggior
2008-08-17, 13:20
I forget what the SBR is set to by default, but the SB3 output level is set to 50% out of the box. I found this to be significantly lower than my existing equipment at the time, i.e. my cd player.

It shouldn't impact frequency response, but perhaps bumping up the output level of the SBR would help? It's certainly easy enough to try by using the volume buttons on the SBC.

dvdit
2008-08-18, 14:58
And I am want more bass out of my SB Duet. Sound out of the SC is pretty much flat. I just wish there was type of equalizer plug in I could use. A simple one that adds a bit of bass is all I want. Any suggestions please?

peterw
2008-08-18, 15:01
And I am want more bass out of my SB Duet. Sound out of the SC is pretty much flat. I just wish there was type of equalizer plug in I could use. A simple one that adds a bit of bass is all I want. Any suggestions please?

At the top of the page -- Community > Plugins. Then click on PluginsAudio. InguzDSP is very popular & highly regarded.

dvdit
2008-08-18, 15:12
At the top of the page -- Community > Plugins. Then click on PluginsAudio. InguzDSP is very popular & highly regarded.

Thanks.I read that this plugin requires a lot of processing power. Is my Dell work station 690 with 1.60 Hz Xeon processor and 2GB ram adequate for the task? I don't mind buying an external EQ like DEQ2496 if integrating and configuring it easy and not too much time consuming.

dvdit
2008-08-18, 15:21

I can't install InguzDSP plug-in. It says I need slimserver but when I click on the link to download only Squeezecenter is available for download, and I have the latest version of SC software already installed.

chinaski
2008-08-18, 15:44
Thanks all for your replies. The issue is at the amp. I have tried changing the source for the duet receiver and it is sounding much better.

funkstar
2008-08-18, 23:19
I can't install InguzDSP plug-in. It says I need slimserver but when I click on the link to download only Squeezecenter is available for download, and I have the latest version of SC software already installed.
Looks like the InguzDSP plugin hasn't been updated in a while then. SlimServer is the old name for SqueezeCenter, it was changes for v7. Significant changes were made to the plugin architecture for SC7 so the plugin will need to be updated to make it work with SC7.

funkstar
2008-08-18, 23:32
OK, my bad, I should looked before posting.

The InguzDSP plugin is compatible with SC7, It doesn't say if it has been updated for 7.1 yet though. Must plugins can however be made to work just by changing a config file telling it to run on 7.1 instead. The wiki page needs a little editing.