PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have a NAS but no PC with a SB or Duet ?

Derbingle
2008-08-17, 01:40
Any suggestions to accomplishing the following:

I want to buy a NAS or MP3 (preferably SSD) to hold my mainly acoustic and classical music CD collection and a new mini hi-fi system (denon, onkyo, sony) to connect it to in some way.

I like the idea of the SB Duet as the remote allows you to see the tracks in your system.

BUT I don't want to have a PC involved !

Nonreality
2008-08-17, 01:59
Any suggestions to accomplishing the following:

I want to buy a NAS or MP3 (preferably SSD) to hold my mainly acoustic and classical music CD collection and a new mini hi-fi system (denon, onkyo, sony) to connect it to in some way.

I like the idea of the SB Duet as the remote allows you to see the tracks in your system.

BUT I don't want to have a PC involved !
I'm not up on a NAS but I think this is the whole idea of one. The PC would just be there for maintenance (if needed)on the NAS I think. I'm sure this will show my ignorance. :) I'm hoping this thread will clear up some of my ideas but as far as helping you I'm probably, sadly, not doing it.

funkstar
2008-08-17, 02:20
There are quite a number of NAS boxes that are capable of running SqueezeCenter, with these you do not need to have SqueezeCenter installed on a PC to use any of the Squeeze products.

You will need a PC for getting your music onto the NAS etc. obviously.

Have a look in the 3rd Part Hardware forum. Depending on your needs, there are devices out there that take anything from 1 to 5 drives.

One of the most popular ranges are the Qnap TS-x09, they are pretty well specified with plenty of memory and processing power, important things for running SqueezeCenter. I believe it is also quite easy to get it all installed and setup.

I run a Thecus N5200Pro 5x500GB NAS box for SqueezeCenter along with my other basic network storage needs. It works very well and is probably one of the most capable NAS boxes out there, although probably overkill for most poeple.

I want to buy a NAS or MP3 (preferably SSD) to hold my mainly acoustic and classical music CD collection
I don't understand part of this though, what do you mean by "MP3 (preferably SSD)"?

whacker
2008-08-17, 06:54
he probably means an MP3-player. A device with Solid State Disk capable of playing MP3s.
As this is his second choice I think he might want to get a small NAS.

TiredLegs
2008-08-18, 09:57
I'm running Squeezecenter on a Buffalo Linkstation Pro NAS, and it works fine. A computer is necessary to load the software and music onto the Linkstation, but once it's up a running, the PC isn't required to play music. The process of loading the software onto the NAS, however, is not for the faint of heart. In the case of the Buffalo units, you have to hack into it at a low level and replace the operating system, although step-by-step instructions are available in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46005

Also, see the many threads on using NAS devices as Squeezecenter servers in the "3rd Party Hardware" section of the forum, at http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Derbingle
2008-08-19, 00:42
Thanks to every one who has replied.

I thought about how to ask my question but then realised I had missed the obvious !

What I really meant to say about not having a PC involved was that of course I would use a PC to load the NAS but didn't want a PC running whilst I play my music from the NAS.

Now that's what I should have asked ! Duh.

stevo
2008-08-19, 03:54
I just bought a QNAP TS109 and found it reasonably easy to set up. I just followed the steps on their website. It's the first NAS device I have ever played with. Any problems I had was with my very basic knowledge of Vista.

The NAS uses much less power than my PC!

stevo

jimdm
2008-08-19, 04:31
Also think about a Window Home Server. There are a few options available. There's a thread currently in Third Party Hardware looking at the differences between Nas and whs.

Dogberry2
2008-08-19, 12:13
My ReadyNAS NV+ runs SqueezeCenter just fine, and houses all my music. It serves music to multiple Duet receivers and multiple PCs simultaneiously without a hitch (in synchronized mode or with different streams to each receiving unit). It also streams MP3s remotely over an Internet connection when I'm away from home, and it was quite easy to set up (though loading all the CDs onto it did take some time, of course). I haven't tried doing on-the-fly transcoding to stream FLAC over the Internet yet, and some folks reckon the ReadyNAS won't have the CPU horsepower to do that. But everything else works just fine.