PDA

View Full Version : wirelessly streaming flacs

flyboy909
2008-08-16, 14:12
Hi Folks,

I just now am investigating media streaming and am currently archiving all my CDs using dBpoweramp to FLAC files. So ultimately I want to wirelessly stream the flacs to my receiver.. not interested in mp3s on my home system at all. I cannot run an ethernet cable with my situation.

From what I can see, the SB Duet might be the ticket. In theory, the specs support what I want to do, but I've read some threads here indicating problems streaming flacs.

I guess my question is... are there any caveats wirelessly streaming flacs that I should be aware of that might be common knowledge within the community?

Kyle

jh901
2008-08-16, 15:55
You will love the Squeezebox Duet. I think most anyone who has a great system (or cares about sound quality) uses dBpoweramp to rip into flac. The streaming should be perfect. At least it is in my case.

You can check the system pics in another forum on this site. You will see that there are some serious audiophiles using SlimDevices products.....

radish
2008-08-16, 21:00
The only problem is going to be if your wireless network isn't up to the job. Assuming you're running a decent 802.11g or n router and the signal strength is reasonably good, it should be just fine. The SB has a good sized buffer so momentary glitches etc don't cause issues. I'm streaming FLACs all over my house, mainly over wireless, and it's fine.

amcluesent
2008-08-17, 03:53
>are there any caveats wirelessly streaming flacs<

Avoid wi-fi from both server to router and router to player; best wired ethernert from server to router.

Avoid 3rd party firmware in routers.

maggior
2008-08-17, 13:35
I have experience with a wireless connection on both the server and player end. Though it may work a lot of times, it will give you fits when it acts up. Once I wired my server to my router, the difference in performance was quite stunning.

Regarding the comment regarding 3rd party software on your router - I'm not sure such a blanket statement is true. I am running V24SP1 DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT54GS 1.1 hardware without any trouble.

If you have doubts, take advantage of the 30 return policy Logitec has. If it doesn't work out for you for ANY reason, send it back.

Good luck!

Uluen
2008-08-17, 17:13
Regarding the comment regarding 3rd party software on your router - I'm not sure such a blanket statement is true. I am running V24SP1 DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT54GS 1.1 hardware without any trouble.
Yeah, I'm running Tomato on my WRT54GL, no issues at all.

And doubt dBpoweramp is better than say EAC. Easier to use perhaps but it doesn't make better sounding FLACs :)

Mnyb
2008-08-17, 21:07
I'm streaming flac to two synced players via wifi ! No problem.

I use WRT54GL with tomato1.19 software, I would be inclined to do the blanket statement don,t use the factory firmware it is always buggy ;-) .

Nonreality
2008-08-18, 16:11
Yeah, I'm running Tomato on my WRT54GL, no issues at all.

And doubt dBpoweramp is better than say EAC. Easier to use perhaps but it doesn't make better sounding FLACs :)
Same sounding FLAC's of course. But much better tagging.