PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 1 incorrect Now Playing display

webdeck
2008-08-16, 13:48
I am running SqueezeCenter 7.1.0 on a MacPro running Mac OS X 10.5.4. I have several SlimDevices players on my wired network: 1 SliMP3, 1 Squeezebox v1, and 2 Squeezebox v2s.

The SliMP3 and the Squeezebox v2s function properly. However, my Squeezebox v1 does not.

The problem with the Squeezebox v1 is that the Now Playing display is incorrect. For example, if I play an album, with shuffle off and repeat off, here's what happens:

Initially, it displays track 1 and shows the song's progress. At some point (14 seconds into it, with my last test), it will stop updating progress on that song. About a minute or two into the song, the display will switch to show track 2, even though track 1 is still playing. The display will continue to get further and further ahead of what is actually playing.

Note that everything is playing just fine, playing one track completely before moving on to the next one. However, if I press the skip track forward and back buttons, they will change the track that is playing based on what is displayed, not what I'm hearing. For example, if track 1 is playing, but the display says track 2 is playing, pressing skip forward will start track 3 playing.

I have reinstalled SqueezeCenter a couple of times, completely removing all traces of the former installation based on what customer support recommended, but that hasn't helped. Customer support thinks that the Squeezebox itself may be defective, but that's going to cost $90 to initiate an RMA. I don't want to go down that road unless it really is a hardware issue.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this?

Thanks,
-Mike

radish
2008-08-16, 20:57
Weird... :) Certainly not a hardware issue (or at least I can't imagine how it could be). Is the SB1 running the correct firmware? What format are the files - any transcoding going on? Are any of the players synced?

webdeck
2008-08-16, 21:01
Weird... :) Certainly not a hardware issue (or at least I can't imagine how it could be). Is the SB1 running the correct firmware? What format are the files - any transcoding going on? Are any of the players synced?

I've held brightness to update its firmware, so it should be running the correct version. How do I tell?

The files are all VBR MP3s - no transcoding. I'm using iTunes to manage my library.

None of the players are synced.

Thanks,
-Mike

radish
2008-08-17, 10:47
If you go to the status page in SC it'll list all the players and their firmware versions. Looks like SB1 should be on version 10.

If you're willing to experiment, here's what I'd try:

Create a directory with a few CBR mp3 files, totally separate from your iTunes library. Disable iTunes support and point SC at the new directory and rescan. You should now have a very small library! Now try playing those files.

My only guess is that something about the VBR & iTunes combo is upsetting the SB1...it's possible some of the duration data is getting muddled.

Let us know what happens.

webdeck
2008-08-17, 10:56
If you go to the status page in SC it'll list all the players and their firmware versions. Looks like SB1 should be on version 10.

Hmm, perhaps this is the problem - it says the SB1 is on firmware version 40.

Name: Master Bedroom
Model: squeezebox
Firmware: 40

How do I fix that?

jth
2008-08-17, 12:57
Firmware 40 is the correct version for SB1s. I have 2 SB1s on my network
with 7.1 (both wireless) and I don't have this issue. It sounds like a
strange problem. If the player is wireless, have you tried switching to
wired to see if you still have the problem?

webdeck
2008-08-17, 13:41
Firmware 40 is the correct version for SB1s. I have 2 SB1s on my network
with 7.1 (both wireless) and I don't have this issue. It sounds like a
strange problem. If the player is wireless, have you tried switching to
wired to see if you still have the problem?

Everything is wired - nothing is wireless.

mherger
2008-08-17, 14:08
> Hmm, perhaps this is the problem - it says the SB1 is on firmware
> version 40.

That's perfectly fine. Are you using any plugin or screensaver?

--

Michael

webdeck
2008-08-17, 15:57
Are you using any plugin or screensaver?

No, other than what comes with a clean install. Just for yucks I deleted all references to SqueezeCenter/SlimDevices and reinstalled. All my preferences were reset, so I know it cleaned those out. Still have the problem with the SB1.

webdeck
2008-08-17, 19:31
If you're willing to experiment, here's what I'd try:

Create a directory with a few CBR mp3 files, totally separate from your iTunes library. Disable iTunes support and point SC at the new directory and rescan. You should now have a very small library! Now try playing those files.

My only guess is that something about the VBR & iTunes combo is upsetting the SB1...it's possible some of the duration data is getting muddled.

Let us know what happens.

I just finished trying that experiment. I created a folder with 3 128 kbps CBR MP3s in it, turned off iTunes support, and pointed SC at the directory. Same result - I tried playing the folder, and about 30 seconds into the first song, the display changed to the second song.

-Mike

mherger
2008-08-17, 23:05
> Initially, it displays track 1 and shows the song's progress. At some
> point (14 seconds into it, with my last test), it will stop updating
> progress on that song.

What are your screensaver settings?

While I can't reproduce your issue, I've seen some other wierdness on SB1: eg. it wouldn't display the correct menu when trying to get out of Now Playing mode using the left button, once the screensaver has kicked in. Can you see this too?

> I have reinstalled SqueezeCenter a couple of times, completely removing
> all traces of the former installation based on what customer support
> recommended, but that hasn't helped.

On OSX make sure you delete all Squeezecenter _and_ SlimServer related folders. And you only encountered this issue after upgrading from 6.x to 7.1?

> Customer support thinks that the Squeezebox itself may be defective,

I doubt this: it's all controlled by the application.

--

Michael

webdeck
2008-08-18, 22:39
What are your screensaver settings?

Screensaver when playing: Now Playing
Screensaver when stopped: None
Screensaver when off: Date and Time Screensaver

While I can't reproduce your issue, I've seen some other wierdness on SB1: eg. it wouldn't display the correct menu when trying to get out of Now Playing mode using the left button, once the screensaver has kicked in. Can you see this too?

I haven't noticed that, but I'll check.

On OSX make sure you delete all Squeezecenter _and_ SlimServer related folders. And you only encountered this issue after upgrading from 6.x to 7.1?

Yes, I had both, and some in /Library and others in ~/Library - I deleted all of them. When I reinstalled, I got the setup wizard with none of my previous settings preserved.

I'm not sure if I had this issue with 6.5 or not. I know I didn't have it prior to 6.5.

Thanks,
-Mike

Nonreality
2008-08-18, 22:46
I just finished trying that experiment. I created a folder with 3 128 kbps CBR MP3s in it, turned off iTunes support, and pointed SC at the directory. Same result - I tried playing the folder, and about 30 seconds into the first song, the display changed to the second song.

-Mike
I had some weird problems with the official release of 7.1. Songs switching to random play half way into a song. Volume reduction problems. I went to 7.2 and all went away.

mherger
2008-08-18, 23:42
> I had some weird problems with the official release of 7.1. Songs
> switching to random play half way into a song. Volume reduction
> problems. I went to 7.2 and all went away.

Wouldn't have expected any change in behaviour between the two. But I must admit that I've been testing with 7.2 too. Maybe it's worth giving it a try.

--

Michael

awy
2008-08-19, 01:25

-Mike

Hmm, my guess is that the display info is changing when it finishes streaming the first song and starts streaming the next. But after 30 seconds seems too soon as the SB1 only has about 14s of buffer at 128kbps, although maybe one needs to add the SC host OS network buffers and network TCP window to that.

I must say that I have not seen this myself when testing with an SB1 and it seems strange that others cannot reproduce it.

webdeck
2008-08-31, 17:44
Wouldn't have expected any change in behaviour between the two. But I must admit that I've been testing with 7.2 too. Maybe it's worth giving it a try.

Now that 7.2 has been released, I've upgraded to it, and I'm still experiencing the same problem with the Squeezebox 1. It's very frustrating that my two Squeezebox 2s and my SliMP3 work fine, but this one Squeezebox 1 behaves badly.

awy
2008-09-02, 06:01
This is bug 3751 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3751)

I've looked at the code and I can see why it does this. In the case of an SB1 (and only an SB1), and when not synced, SC will stream one track after another to the player without closing the streaming connection. At the time it starts streaming the next track, it looses track of what the previous track was (again, only for SB1s), although it knows that the next track has not yet started and hence does not start advancing the time-played counter.

I have checked the code back to Slimserver 6.3.1 and it is the same so, although I have not tried running a pre SC 7 release to check, I cannot see how this would have worked before 6.5, as was claimed.

I do not know why the code works the way it does in this regard. I do know that all this area of code has been rewritten for SC 7.3 and that this problem does not occur with the new code.

webdeck
2008-09-03, 22:47
Thanks for taking a look at this. As long as I can remember, the SB display would move on to the next track before the current one finished, but it always seemed to be something like 5-10 seconds before the end of the track, so it wasn't a big deal. I don't know when it started to really misbehave - maybe it was longer ago than I thought. Anyway, I look forward to 7.3.

In looking at the bug, I wonder if it got worse because of TCP buffer config changes. I know I optimized TCP buffer settings at one point - the larger buffers on my server probably allowed it to stream the entire song quickly.

net.inet.udp.maxdgram=65536
net.inet.udp.recvspace=65536
net.inet.raw.recvspace=65536
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=4000000
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=4000000
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=8000000
net.inet.tcp.newreno=1
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

Thanks again!

awy
2008-09-04, 01:42
In looking at the bug, I wonder if it got worse because of TCP buffer config changes. I know I optimized TCP buffer settings at one point - the larger buffers on my server probably allowed it to stream the entire song quickly.

That is almost certainly it. With the old code the track change happens as soon as SC has finished writing the stream to the kernel network interface.