PDA

View Full Version : Mac user: should I upgrade 6.5.1 to 7.1?

whitman
2008-08-16, 09:08
I'm using Slimserver 6.5.1 on my desktop iMac, OSX 10.4.11, all running well and fine.

I need to keep up with Alien BBC developments relating to the changes to the BBC website, and it looks like this is only going to work if I move up to 7.1.

I have not moved to 7 so far because it doesn't seem to offer any advantages, and anyway I generally keep to the fundamental 'ain't broke/don't fix' rule of gadgetry. Now I may not have a choice.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with 7.1 on Mac OSX?

Evan_E
2008-08-16, 12:02
Mac user running 7.0.1 here - while I haven't yet upgraded to 7.1 (I'm also of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it school), I've found no problems w/ 7.0.1, and the UI improvements to be a huge step up. I'm actually skimming the forums right now to see if any Mac users have had problems upgrading to 7.1.

I have SqueezeCenter scan my iTunes data about once a week to check for updates, and so far it's always caught any new MP3's that I've added to iTunes.

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-16, 13:32
I'm running 7.2 on my Mac MINI server (OS 10.4.11) and haven't had any problems. The BIGGEST advantage I like about 7.x is that I can now sync multiple players while connected to Pandora or any other web based music service.

I have an SB3 at my office that streams from the server here at home. If I switch it over to SqueezeNetwork I can always switch it back WHILE AT HOME, since SqueezeCenter 'sees' it connect to SN. Very flexible.

Do you have a Transporter? You may have some initial weirdness with it. I've got a TP and SB3 at home and both are working great.

whitman
2008-08-16, 14:25
Thanks Eric and Evan.

Maybe the step to make is to 7.0 rather than 7.1, for now?

I'm using two SB3s, in different rooms.

Did either of you upgrade from 6 up to 7? Was the actual process of upgrading problematical? Did you simply install 'over' the earlier version? You need to reinstall plug-ins, I believe.

Any other Mac users out there with experience of all this?

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-16, 16:09
Any plugins that you are using in 6 will probably need to be upgraded, plus they go into a different folder. SlimServer had its own folder within PREFERENCES in your user LIBRARY folder, but SqueezeCenter files live in the APPLICATION SUPPORT folder within LIBRARY.

Again, I'm running the beta of 7.2 without any problems, other than having to tweak a few of my favorite plugs.

The official release of 7.1 is due out within a couple of weeks, I believe. You may just want to wait for that.

whitman
2008-08-17, 01:44
Strange: the 29 July announcement of 7.1 makes no mention of it being a beta. I thought that is the current 'real' version of 7.

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-17, 07:06
Sorry... I meant 7.2. 7.1 is the official, you are correct.

whitman
2008-08-17, 09:54
Ah, OK Eric, understood.

Also, did anyone reading this upgrade from 6.5 to 7 at some stage on a Mac? Did you 'install over' the existing one, or did you delete the old one first? I've read different accounts of what you should do.

Evan_E
2008-08-17, 11:37
Also, did anyone reading this upgrade from 6.5 to 7 at some stage on a Mac? Did you 'install over' the existing one, or did you delete the old one first? I've read different accounts of what you should do.I upgraded from 6 (6.5.3, I believe) to 7.0.1, and simply upgraded over the existing installation. No problems that I can recall.

whitman
2008-08-18, 08:39
Oh well, time for me to take the plunge, I think.