PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreen integration?

egd
2008-08-15, 16:11
Just wondering whether anyone has gone about integrating SC with a Touchscreen monitor, and if so, what monitor and SC skin they've used.

This also leads me to questions re:
- availability of touchscreen monitors using wireless rather than a physical cable to receive input; and
- maximum permissible length of a video cable running from PC to monitor using a digital connector

What I have in mind is placement of a touchscreen monitor in a central location in my home to control Squeezeboxen (and ultimately PVR etc. etc.)

aubuti
2008-08-15, 21:45
There have been some threads on touchscreens over the past 1-2 years, but it would be interesting to see what new is available since then. For skins, the first place I would look is the "Touch" skin, which is very similar to the Nokia770 skin.

egd
2008-08-15, 23:46
Thanks. Rumour has it that Asus will soon be releasing a touchscreen eeepc. I imagine it would do the job quite nicely.

funkstar
2008-08-16, 00:55
Thanks. Rumour has it that Asus will soon be releasing a touchscreen eeepc. I imagine it would do the job quite nicely.
Gigabyte has a convertable tablet Netbook on its way.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/News/Notebook/News_List.aspx?NewsID=1398

This could be a very cool and inexpensive wall mounted controll panel.

signor_rossi
2008-08-16, 01:59
If a screen of 4" is big enough for you the cheapest way is to just get an used Nokia770, run Squeezeplay on the server and present its interface via VNC or RDP on the Nokia770. Worked surprisingly good for me (I will probably switch to a FreeNAS/SlimNAS box soon as server, so I won't use it anymore). Or get a Siemens Simpad, it has a larger screen (if they are still around, I bricked mine, grrrr).
Small touch screens are relatively expensive and you still need an extra computer to drive them. An old thin client would probably be enough for that, but such a setup is somewhat clunky.
The Gigabyte will be relatively expensive and there is no EEE Netbook with touchscreen in the works, you would have to do it yourself as a mod.

Bye, signorRossi.

egd
2008-08-16, 13:40
and there is no EEE Netbook with touchscreen in the workshttp://digg.com/linux_unix/Confirmed_8_9P_EeePC_with_Touchscreen_GPS_in_May_J une

signor_rossi
2008-08-16, 13:43
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Confirmed_8_9P_EeePC_with_Touchscreen_GPS_in_May_J une

LOL, almost answered to your answer you edited.

Besides, this is info from march, they talk about may/june as release date and we already have mid-august.

Bye, signorRossi.

dtz
2008-08-17, 11:44
Though no longer available (probably out of production for 5 years) I bought a Viewsonic 15" LCD AirPanel monitor a few months back on EBay and it works pretty well with Squeeze Center. It is wireless and duplicates your Windows XP desktop. It shipped with a copy of XP because at the time it wasn't backward compatible with any other Windows. I don't know if it will work with Vista. Not only can you play your music, but whatever you can do on your regular computer you can do on an AirPanel. However, when the AirPanel is in use your regular computer cannot be used. Because it is older, the image quality will not be as good as a newer monitor. A 10" version is more common and much cheaper. About $100 versus $300. A docking base is available but definitely not necessary even useless. Check out EBay. There are quite a few available last I checked. One more thing: I had to roll back the drivers for my graphics card when the updated drivers proved to be incompatible. The one I bought was like new and the docking base was new.

slimmert
2008-09-03, 03:04
I've been looking for a touchscreen solution too for controlling squeezecenter. Take a look here: http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8349493265.html

egd
2008-09-22, 23:44
I've been looking for a touchscreen solution too for controlling squeezecenter. Take a look here: http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8349493265.html

Had a look a that lot, thanks. IMHO the right product just hasn't hit the market yet.

JJZolx
2008-09-23, 01:15
Had a look a that lot, thanks. IMHO the right product just hasn't hit the market yet.

Yet? What makes you think there's much call for such a product? The technology to do it has been around for years.

Is it going to be stationary, such as mounted on a wall or sitting on a table? If so, get a touchscreen monitor, attach it to a very small PC with wireless card, most likely running Linux, and you're done.

If it needs to be mobile, then that would be covered by a number of currently available tablet or "slate" PCs. Or PDAs. Which should bring right back around to the iPod Touch or iPhone.

egd
2008-09-28, 10:00
Whilst the technology's been around for a long time, touchscreen devices/ PDAs haven't really come into their own yet. The iPod Touch etc are OK as wireless touchscreen remotes, but they're not fantastic. I'd like something with more screen real estate. I've also got little doubt we're going to be seeing increasing uptake of touchscreen technology into consumer electronics rather than less.

Cabe
2008-09-28, 11:19
I have in the past used a Samsung Izzy "webpad" it had a great little 8" 640x480 swivel touch screen that was, I guess, the original impetus behind convertible tablet PC's.

Unfortunatly it only ran windows CE2.11 (pro) so PIEv1.0 was the order of the day.

These types of devices have since been superseded by the likes of the Nokia 770/800/810 and the iPhone for their simplicity of use.

JJZolx
2008-09-28, 11:37
Whilst the technology's been around for a long time, touchscreen devices/ PDAs haven't really come into their own yet.

Huh? PDAs have been around for years.

The iPod Touch etc are OK as wireless touchscreen remotes, but they're not fantastic. I'd like something with more screen real estate.

They're not going to get any larger. They need to be held in one hand and more-or-less fit in a pocket.

I've also got little doubt we're going to be seeing increasing uptake of touchscreen technology into consumer electronics rather than less.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the usage models that currently exist, so some new consumer product category isn't likely to spring up overnight.

The cheap little web browser things linked to above may be as close as it gets. The problem they have is that the touchscreen technology on a small screen requires great software, and only a company like Apple has the resources to do the R&D to implement it. The junk you buy from Asus and the Chinese companies is going to suck.

MrGadget
2008-09-28, 17:52
How about an Archos? they are touch screen and come in sizes up to 7" I think.

egd
2008-09-29, 08:03
Huh? PDAs have been around for years.Yeah, they've sucked for years too. I've yet to find one that performs acceptably and reliably. They're forever needing to be reset, reconfigured or having sync issues etc.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the usage models that currently exist, so some new consumer product category isn't likely to spring up overnight.New applications/ ideas will continually emerge.

The cheap little web browser things linked to above may be as close as it gets. The problem they have is that the touchscreen technology on a small screen requires great software, and only a company like Apple has the resources to do the R&D to implement it. The junk you buy from Asus and the Chinese companies is going to suck.I think you've just described my PDA.

For the moment I'll have to settle for my eeepc 901 running linux and use of the mouse pointer to navigate.

egd
2008-10-14, 22:47
Yet? What makes you think there's much call for such a product? The technology to do it has been around for years.

Is it going to be stationary, such as mounted on a wall or sitting on a table? If so, get a touchscreen monitor, attach it to a very small PC with wireless card, most likely running Linux, and you're done.

If it needs to be mobile, then that would be covered by a number of currently available tablet or "slate" PCs. Or PDAs. Which should bring right back around to the iPod Touch or iPhone.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/653/860/-/7728112/Asus-Eee-All-In-One-Touch-Screen-PC-ETP1602-WT-X0010-Intel-Atom-1-6GHz-1GB-160GB-15-6-Wide-Panel-Touch-Screen-Windows-XP-Home-Desktop-PC/Product.html?searchtype=genre# ... just the kind of thing I've been after. Of course, I'll opt for the Linux version, assuming there is one or XP will be replaced with Ubuntu MID.

funkstar
2008-10-15, 01:33
I was going to post about this the other day.... but forgot :)

Weirdly Play.com are one of the only places showing this at the moment. Not a retailer famed for being first.

It's a shame this monitor isn't a touch screen, could have been an interesting device:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/4-3-inch-usb-powered-monitor-asks-will-the-real-nettop-please-s/

egd
2008-11-03, 21:02
Interesting article re increasing popularity and adoption of touchscreen technology (http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?iArticleId=4689700&iSectionId=2890)

Nonreality
2008-11-03, 21:26
Maybe get one designed for business, like the fast food industry. They use the a lot and they hold up well. I've played with them a bit and they're not bad. I think Moose is all set up for the touch screen as well.

Goodsounds
2008-11-03, 22:02
I have a friend who has a well equipped Lenovo tablet that I've borrowed a few times to try out.

It's great for presentations - using the stylus to "write" on slides that are being projected is really useful and cool. Using it truly in touchscreen mode works fine so long as you don't need to do much inputting. If you do, it can be a bit tedious. As with adding input on a touchscreen PDA.

I also found it to be a bit slow, the touchscreen and Windows tablet OS seem to consume some of the processing power. Presumably this will get better as the hardware and software improves.