Downstairs
----------
PC running SqueezeCenter
WLAN Base station
Transporter

Upstairs
--------
Duet Reciever

My problem is that the building has such solid walls and floors (steel reinforced concrete, with embedded underfloor heating pipes) that the WLAN does not reliably reach to the upstairs room. Therefore I am thinking to install a HomePlug spur to the upstairs room (or even an Ethernet hardwired spur).

My question is how to connect the Duet Controller so it works downstairs with the Transporter and upstairs with the Duet? When it is downstairs I want it to connect to the network via the downstairs WLAN base station. But when it is upstairs, I want it to connect to the network via the upstairs Duet Receiver (in bridging mode).

Is such a two headed configuration possible?
And if so, what settings do I need make, and on which devices?

andynormancx
2008-08-15, 01:35
You'd have to manually switch between the two networks I'm afraid. How well that would actually work I'll leave to someone who has actually done it...

Would it be possible to move the existing WLAN base station upstairs ? Have you tried moving it upstairs and locating the base station on the floor upstairs ?

I ask because I struggled with my wifi reception around the house when I had the base station downstairs. When it is downstairs on the floor that is the worst case for the upstairs reception.

When I moved my base station upstairs I got decent reception upstairs and still maintained usable downstairs reception. Also locating the base station in the centre of the house can help.

Switching wifi channels can also help.

Howard Passman
2008-08-15, 02:19
I have the following system configuration:

Downstairs
----------
PC running SqueezeCenter
WLAN Base station
Transporter

Upstairs
--------
Duet Reciever

My problem is that the building has such solid walls and floors (steel reinforced concrete, with embedded underfloor heating pipes) that the WLAN does not reliably reach to the upstairs room. Therefore I am thinking to install a HomePlug spur to the upstairs room (or even an Ethernet hardwired spur).

My question is how to connect the Duet Controller so it works downstairs with the Transporter and upstairs with the Duet? When it is downstairs I want it to connect to the network via the downstairs WLAN base station. But when it is upstairs, I want it to connect to the network via the upstairs Duet Receiver (in bridging mode).

Is such a two headed configuration possible?
And if so, what settings do I need make, and on which devices?

Andrew, I wanted to do a similar thing. I wanted to be able to use bridged mode to the nearest receiver. I called tech support and I really don't think the gentleman understood what I wanted to do or at least he didn't want to deal with it. So far I haven't found a solution. Luckily for me I gave up on the bridged idea and my one router is strong enough to hit from anywhere in the house and in the backyard.

Good luck. I'll be wtahcing to see if anyone comes up with anything.

Howard

JJZolx
2008-08-15, 02:42
I think the only way you could do this seamlessly is with a second wireless access point upstairs (connected by wire to the downstairs). And then only if the Controller was able to do wireless roaming, which it doesn't yet.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6085

ds2021
2008-08-15, 06:30
I did something similar when I wanted to ensure full reception in the backyard, which was at the opposite end of the house and downstairs from the router. In this scenario, reception in the backyard was very weak, and control of the deck zone sometimes problematic. When I placed the wireless router downstairs close to the yard, it solved the problem for the SB zones, but wifi reception for other devices became poor upstairs.

What I did was use a homeplug to connect two wireless pre-N routers (Linksys WRT300N and D-Link DIR655). The Linksys is upstairs with the broadband modem with DHCP on, the WAN (broadband) connected, and wireless radio on with SSID "Example". The D-Link is downstairs connected by the homeplug (Netgear HDX101) to a standard network port, DHCP off, no WAN connection, and wireless radio on also with SSID "Example". Both routers have WPA2 security enabled, each with identical settings.

When I started this, I expected that there would be some reason that two routers could not share the same SSID on the same network and allow a device to "roam". However, I have found that this solution works for me such that I can move around the house and yard and have a consistently strong wifi signal on the same network. I have since upgraded the Linksys to the DD-WRT open source firmware which has built-in bridging functionality, but have not made use of it.

P.S. An interesting note is that when I originally had the routers inverted (i.e., D-Link upstairs with the WAN), this setup did not work well.

simbo
2008-08-15, 06:33
Your house sounds like an excellent place to be when the revolution comes.

Anyway, if there's somewhere upstairs than can pick up the wireless signal, how about putting a wireless range extender there?

AndrewFG
2008-08-17, 09:17
Your house sounds like an excellent place to be when the revolution comes.

Indeed. Actually there is a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement. Believe me...

Anyway, if there's somewhere upstairs than can pick up the wireless signal, how about putting a wireless range extender there?

Actually I tried that already! I bought a LinkSys WRE54G, but was not able to find a location where it could a) reach the base station, and b) be reached by the Duet Reciever. (Anyone want to buy a hardly used WRE54G <g> ??)

AndrewFG
2008-08-17, 09:20
What I did was use a homeplug to connect two wireless pre-N routers (Linksys WRT300N and D-Link DIR655). The Linksys is upstairs with the broadband modem with DHCP on, the WAN (broadband) connected, and wireless radio on with SSID "Example". The D-Link is downstairs connected by the homeplug (Netgear HDX101) to a standard network port, DHCP off, no WAN connection, and wireless radio on also with SSID "Example". Both routers have WPA2 security enabled, each with identical settings.

Thanks for the interesting suggestion. Perhaps I will give it a try.

AndrewFG
2008-08-17, 09:27
I think the only way you could do this seamlessly is with a second wireless access point upstairs (connected by wire to the downstairs). And then only if the Controller was able to do wireless roaming, which it doesn't yet.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6085

Interesting that you say it does'nt support roaming, but another member, ds2021, says it works anyway in his system. How can that be?

dem
2008-08-17, 09:51
Interesting that you say it does'nt support roaming, but another member, ds2021, says it works anyway in his system. How can that be?
I just ran a simple test and mine roamed properly (firmware 7.1 r2722).