PDA

View Full Version : Totally new. Dissapointment?

Tubebox
2008-08-14, 10:49
Having a Logitech squeezebox 3 for a while I have never heard it.
I bought it because I thought that would not be such a problem to stream my music from one local PC, that would NOT /and will never be/ connected to the internet. So far, I didn't managed to connect the SB3 to my PC (running Windows XP)using cat5 ethernet cable. How should I eventually do that? I'm shure too dumm for networking, but hey, this is only a media entertainment.
I am not about to buy any additional hardware to setup my device properly, unless is undoubtfully neccessary, nor to spend additional money neither, unless the price is reasonable.
I have:
- Logitech squeezebox 3
- Ethernet cable
- PC with XP
- non of a network setup capabilities
How to..?

toby10
2008-08-14, 11:14
Having a Logitech squeezebox 3 for a while I have never heard it.
I bought it because I thought that would not be such a problem to stream my music from one local PC, that would NOT /and will never be/ connected to the internet. So far, I didn't managed to connect the SB3 to my PC (running Windows XP)using cat5 ethernet cable. How should I eventually do that? I'm shure too dumm for networking, but hey, this is only a media entertainment.
I am not about to buy any additional hardware to setup my device properly, unless is undoubtfully neccessary, nor to spend additional money neither, unless the price is reasonable.
I have:
- Logitech squeezebox 3
- Ethernet cable
- PC with XP
- non of a network setup capabilities
How to..?

Your problem *may* be the wrong cable. In many (most) instances if you wire an SB3 direct to a computer you need an RJ45 Ethernet Cross Over cable, not a normal RJ45 Cat5 cable.

The standard RJ45 Cat5 would be used if wired to a router.

Beyond that there may be PC settings to do this (like file sharing, etc..). I dunno as my SB3 goes to a router. Might find some postings for direct PC connection in the forums.

SuperQ
2008-08-14, 11:46
Have you tried calling Logitech support? They would have this kind of configuration up in a jiffy.

amcluesent
2008-08-14, 11:52
You will need a X-over ethernet cable, only the Duet Receiver is auto-sensing.

>Have you tried calling Logitech support?<

Yes, with no router (and DHCP service) you'll need to have some other means of assigning IP addresses etc. and configure XP manually.

Tubebox
2008-08-14, 12:17
Obviously...
Likely the cabling was wrong.
Will try crossover cable.
The settings would be on a Logitech side.

BIG Thanks folks!!!

Any further suggestions would be kindly appreciated, especially if something is already explained somewhere, network setup particularly.

Tubebox
2008-08-14, 12:19
Your problem *may* be the wrong cable. In many (most) instances if you wire an SB3 direct to a computer you need an RJ45 Ethernet Cross Over cable, not a normal RJ45 Cat5 cable.

The standard RJ45 Cat5 would be used if wired to a router.

Beyond that there may be PC settings to do this (like file sharing, etc..). I dunno as my SB3 goes to a router. Might find some postings for direct PC connection in the forums.

Wire to router and out, or to a wireless router?

toby10
2008-08-14, 14:15
Wire to router and out, or to a wireless router?

Mine is wired to router. It is a wireless router but WiFi can have issues so I prefer wired.

Internet > cable modem > router > *networked devices*
- wired link 1 from router = PC
- wired link 2 from router = SB3

There are other devices on my network, but that isn't important in this conversation. :)

kantblue
2008-08-15, 00:34
Hi Tubebox

Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but you have installed the SqueezeCentre software on your computer haven't you?

The reason I ask is because you say you don't have an internet connection, and as far as I know the slimdevices don't come with a software CD, you normally download the software from the internet?

cheers
kantblue

Tubebox
2008-08-15, 11:09
Hi Tubebox

Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but you have installed the SqueezeCentre software on your computer haven't you?

The reason I ask is because you say you don't have an internet connection, and as far as I know the slimdevices don't come with a software CD, you normally download the software afrom the internet?

cheers
kantblue

No problems at all.
I have already downloaded SqueezeCentre software from my laptop (connected wirelessly without any routers to internet through providing telecom agency, which already told me that sharing that kind of connection is simply not recommended - I don't know how). I'm simply not about to use this laptop for streaming, so I have installed it also (USB key) to a desktop PC that would supposed to be the entertainment center.
But, I realised that either the cable thing or at least some kind of hub/switch would be neccessary. So in that manner, do you suggest something not exceeding 50$?
Thnx

Nonreality
2008-08-15, 23:13
No problems at all.
I have already downloaded SqueezeCentre software from my laptop (connected wirelessly without any routers to internet through providing telecom agency, which already told me that sharing that kind of connection is simply not recommended - I don't know how). I'm simply not about to use this laptop for streaming, so I have installed it also (USB key) to a desktop PC that would supposed to be the entertainment center.
But, I realised that either the cable thing or at least some kind of hub/switch would be neccessary. So in that manner, do you suggest something not exceeding 50$?
Thnx
Shouldn't be more than $20 unless you need a real long one. Remember if it doesn't work make them check it. I've seen some cross over that aren't cross over if you know what I mean. :)

JJZolx
2008-08-16, 00:19
I think the first thing I'd try if I wanted it to work without a router is a crossover cable. In theory, the crossover cable should work and make it possible to connect the PC to the Squeezebox without a router. Without messing with network configurations you'd be relying on the auto IP address configurations of both the PC's network card driver and the Squeezebox's firmware. It should work, but I've never tried it. You could also just assign static IP addresses to both the PC and the Squeezebox, but that would mean getting your hands a little dirty working with the networking configurations on each.

Still, the easiest thing to do may be to pick up an inexpensive home router (and a second ethernet cable). You don't need a wireless router, so it should be pretty inexpensive. Any of these should work fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127091

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124001

If you have a Craigslist for the area where you live, you should be able to find something used for under $20. Just dig up the manual (online, if necessary) and do a factory reset before you use it. For example:

http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/797755316.html

toby10
2008-08-16, 04:46
..................Still, the easiest thing to do may be to pick up an inexpensive home router (and a second ethernet cable). You don't need a wireless router, so it should be pretty inexpensive.........

I would agree. Adding a simple router will simplify things now and in the future, letting DHCP handle your IP's etc... Plus future expandability of your network (adding additional network devices down the road).

Although, if at all in the budget, I'd suggest spending an additional $30 and get a good WiFi router (like the Linksys WRT54GL) as you may well find the WiFi very useful in the future. I try to run everything wired including my SB3 for simplicity of operation and fewer issues. But having WiFi capability, even for very occasional use, can come in quite handy!

Tubebox
2008-08-18, 16:28
A merely two hours ago I finally made it connecting my "out of internet" PC with SB3. Marvelous thing that SB3... Cross over cable made the job, but having manually to assemble network parameters on squeezebox. Works fine, the sound beats nearly all CD players I have used by now (not so expensive, though). Streaming goes via coax cable to my DAC (CA Dacmagic 3) and then in the amp...
What really is bothering is the offline regime of Squeezecenter, pullin windows up for connection everytime I browse files through the SqueezeCenter. Everything is going smoothly from the remote, however.
If anyone has a problem by crossover SB to PC dont hesutate to write...
Now, since the cross was el chipo Belkin 10m cable, Ill go for something pricier let's say portable HD or even NAS QNAP T109.

Cheers!

adamslim
2008-08-20, 05:02
What really is bothering is the offline regime of Squeezecenter, pullin windows up for connection everytime I browse files through the SqueezeCenter. Everything is going smoothly from the remote, however.

That's your internet setting, nothing to do with SC. Just change the settings in your internet connections to 'never dial a connection' (IIRC) and this should go away.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-22, 11:39
Now, since the cross was el chipo Belkin 10m cable, Ill go for something pricier

The Ethernet cable will not affect the sound quality any more than a different Ethernet cable can make a web page look different. Files are being sent digitally by TCP/IP, if there's ever an error it retransmits the packet.