PDA

View Full Version : Where for "ART" though - - Duet Album Art

ckoffend
2008-08-14, 09:41
Just bought a Duet and for the most part am figuring it out okay. I cannot seem to get any of my album art from my computer hard drive to appear on the remote? When I have iTunes open, the art appears fine, when I transfer the same files to my iPod the art appears fine. But no album art from my iTunes library on the Duet remote. I have done a forum search - but coulnd't find what I needed.

The radio/services album art appears fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Siduhe
2008-08-14, 09:49
iTunes artwork isn't supported in anything other than iTunes at least out of the box, but there are ways to make it compatible with SC - but you need to find a way to copy the iTunes artwork into a format that SC can read. There are a quite a few threads about this - one you may find useful is here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44344).

Lots of people also recommend Coverscout, I think.

ckoffend
2008-08-14, 09:57
I will check out your suggestion. I also copies one MP3 song from my sons music files, he uses Windoes Media Player. When I open WMP, the album art for that song I copies is shown. I also check his MP3 player, which also shows the same album art for that song. I just dragged the actual mp3 file into a second folder than my Duet is supposed to monitor. Though not sure if there was supposed to be a secondary file that corresponds with that songs album art?

Siduhe
2008-08-14, 10:07
It depends how you have set your album art up. I don't use iTunes, so I'm not the best person to ask about that. However, the way that SC reads artwork is set out in a fair amount of detail in the wiki (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Album_Artwork).

I have always found the easiest thing is just to add a "folder.jpg" into every album or song folder, and I use Album Art Aggregator to do this.

Also, you may need to do a full clear and rescan of SC to import the album art into the library and have it show on the Duet Controller - don't think this is always clear to people.

maggior
2008-08-15, 12:19
It's interesting that this topic should come up since I ran into this very issue myself last night :-).

The problem is that iTunes does not embed the artwork into the mp3 files. It stores them separately and uploads them to your iPod when you sync (assuming you have the "load artwork" checkbox checked). You can take steps to embed the files, but is a very manual process. It involves selecting the artwork image in iTunes, right clicking and clicking save. You then select all of the tracks from the album, right click and open "get info". In there, you can paste the artwork. This will embed the artwork into the file itself.

Media Player in Windows caches the artwork locally. If there is none locally, it will look it up on the Internet.

moley6knipe
2008-08-15, 13:40
Last time I used WMP it stored the cover art in four hidden/system jpeg files in the same folder as the audio files - set your folder to view hidden and system files and you should find them there.

If you use iTunes, once thing I've found with saving art as folder.jpg is that it means iTunes won't automatically delete the folder if you delete the files from within iTunes.

It is a quandry; big hi-res art is best stored as folder.jpg but then iTunes can't use it; the same artwork embedded in each file (which is what iTunes can read without using it's "find missing artwork" function increases your file size; fine for PC but a pain if they're tiny mp3s for your iPod/portable.

Me I've settled on a happy medium of a res that's ok to embed without taking up too much file space but that won't look poor on the AppleTV.