trautigan
2008-08-14, 01:37
Can someone confirm the following

1 SB prefers to use ID3v2.x tags
2 If they are not present then SB will use ID3v1.1
3 If they are both present then SB will use ID3v2.x
4 If neither are present then SB will have a bash using filename

thanks

(and recommendations for a decent freeware MP3 editor would be useful)

Nonreality
2008-08-14, 03:02
Can someone confirm the following

1 SB prefers to use ID3v2.x tags
2 If they are not present then SB will use ID3v1.1
3 If they are both present then SB will use ID3v2.x
4 If neither are present then SB will have a bash using filename

thanks

(and recommendations for a decent freeware MP3 editor would be useful)
Correct.

Try to stay with ID3v2.3 only. Don't use mp3gain to do replay gain as it introduces ID3v2.4 tags which only confuses SC. You can use foobar (free) or dbpoweramp (pay, but worth every cent) to do it and not mess with your tags. In foobar make sure it does us the right one, dbpoweramp will do it right. You need to use and get good with mp3tag. It will save you time and be the most handy tool you have and it's free. www.mp3tag.de/en I think. It is so good. One of the few that I actually donated to. Take the time to figure out the more advanced stuff and you will thank yourself for it. Last but not least ask questions here and filter a bit but there are a lot of great people here that will help you and know the programs better sometimes I think than the people that built them. :)

Sorry but about #2 I think your are right but get rid of them, but save them in mp3tag to ID3v2.3 first. Very easy to do and it will get you consistent. Just don't ignore some stuff make it all the same and you won't get problems later on when it's harder to find or figure out.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-14, 06:36
Don't use mp3gain to do replay gain as it introduces ID3v2.4 tags which only confuses SC.

Actually MP3Gain creates APEv2 tags, and they work perfectly with SC.

The only problem is if you have existing text tags in APEv2 that are incorrect (this is very rare, but could happen if you're using MP3s you didn't create yourself...ahem...) Programs like Mp3tag are not set to read APE tags by default so you could miss errors in the APE tag, since the file will appear to have APE tags added by MP3Gain anyway.

trautigan
2008-08-14, 09:25
thanks for your useful replies.

This has helped demystify a lot of what is going on.
and point me in the direction of a useful tool

However I have 1 rogue track (at least) that I can't get SC to see...

* Windows Media Player plays it fine from the same location (it's on ReadyNAS)
* tags look fine
* not protected
* other tracks from the same CD are all fine
* as part of a general purge on tags I did a re-scan, and all the other files I changed now appear ok
It's interesting how you get obsessive about the one black sheep isn't it?

anyway any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-14, 10:05
What format is the track in, MP3?

You can set Mp3tag to show you what types of tags are in the file and to only write or delete certain ones. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide

If that doesn't help, hit it with a very big stick - take a look at it in a hex editor, you can get a freeware one. Tags are located at the start and end of the file, the rest will show gibberish. But there are clues as to what type of tags are used and what their contents are. Typically you will see a header that will indicate what type of tags are in use - you'll see "ID3V2" for example, followed by "TPE1", "TPE2" etc. You can edit it in the hex editor, but only do this for minor spelling errors since you can easily destroy the file and the tags.

trautigan
2008-08-14, 10:13
ok, will do and let you know. not sure a hex editor counts as a big stick though - more like molecular engineering to me nowadays... thanks though. you sound pretty sure it must be a tag issue.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-14, 11:47
not sure a hex editor counts as a big stick though - more like molecular engineering to me nowadays

What I mean is, it is absolutely foolproof - it's looking at the file in just about the most low-level way possible. Nothing can escape it, unless it has encrypted DRM.

This also of course gives you an easy way to damage the file irreparably, so just use it to look to tell you what's up. Look, don't touch. ;-) Edit it in Mp3tag, which you can configure to edit any tag type out there.

you sound pretty sure it must be a tag issue.

It almost always is...

trautigan
2008-08-16, 09:29
ok, you were right - it was a tag problem now fully resolved.

thanks for this and for pointing me at what turns out to be a really good tag editor.

Nonreality
2008-08-17, 19:26
Actually MP3Gain creates APEv2 tags, and they work perfectly with SC.

The only problem is if you have existing text tags in APEv2 that are incorrect (this is very rare, but could happen if you're using MP3s you didn't create yourself...ahem...) Programs like Mp3tag are not set to read APE tags by default so you could miss errors in the APE tag, since the file will appear to have APE tags added by MP3Gain anyway.
Sorry but I do disagree. Why introduce another tag? You can use foobar or dbpoweramp to tag replay gain to ID3v2.3 and not have ape tags. You can get into trouble with programs having both. It's recommended not to use Ape tags with SC. Or at least it was. I prefer to keep it simple and just have one type.

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-18, 10:06
Sorry but I do disagree. Why introduce another tag? You can use foobar or dbpoweramp to tag replay gain to ID3v2.3 and not have ape tags. You can get into trouble with programs having both. It's recommended not to use Ape tags with SC. Or at least it was. I prefer to keep it simple and just have one type.

For me, provided that RG data is all there is in the APEv2 tag, I haven't had an issue.

MP3Gain's big advantage over other programs is that the target volume can be adjusted.

Yes, I'd prefer it if MP3Gain wrote the data in an ID3v2.3 tag, but the program seems to be abandonware and hasn't been updated in years.

Nonreality
2008-08-18, 16:02
Yes, I'd prefer it if MP3Gain wrote the data in an ID3v2.3 tag, but the program seems to be abandonware and hasn't been updated in years.
Yes it does seem that way. Too bad too. It would be nice if you could choose what tag to use in it. I've never had the need to adjust the target value as it seems to work good for me. But I could see where you might want that feature depending on your system.