PDA

View Full Version : No plugins to install

Frosch
2008-08-13, 14:28
Dear all

I have tried to install some of the ‘standard’ plugins on my new Duet controller, but there are no plugins to install according to the Duet menu, regardless of whether I tick them in the Squeezecenter or not. I have also tried to restart the SC, but no success. What am I missing?

My system: DS-207+, DSM 2.0-0637, SSODS, Release 3.0beta13, SqueezeCenter-Version: 7.1 - 22170

Thank you for your help, regards

Moonloop
2008-08-14, 10:05
I too have often wondered about this . There are check marks galore in the Settings page of SC but no programs in the Server/plugins folder except AlenBBC and I downloaded that myself !

I downloaded the Windows MusicIP from their website but it will not run on my system . It says 'Extracting Files' and then locks.....

Very Confusing..

Best

~M~

HpMediaSmartServer WHS 2003 running SC7.1 , SB3 , Duet

Siduhe
2008-08-14, 10:15
Frosch, could you be confusing "plugins" which are installed in Squeezecenter, and "applets" which are specificially installed and visible on the Duet Controller?

There are only a very few applets available to install on the Controller at the moment, like the Lyrics applet and the RetroBrowser applet. Check the wiki.

In terms of installing plugins in Squeezecenter, most of these won't show up as an option on the Duet Controller, because they are third party plugins that don't have the necessary hooks into the Controller software. However, some (like AlienBBC for example) will show up on the Controller. You mention "standard plugins" - which ones are you trying to install? Also, you may need to restart SC after installing for any plugin to work.

Siduhe
2008-08-14, 10:20
I too have often wondered about this . There are check marks galore in the Settings page of SC but no programs in the Server/plugins folder except AlenBBC and I downloaded that myself !

I downloaded the Windows MusicIP from their website but it will not run on my system . It says 'Extracting Files' and then locks.....

Very Confusing..

Best

~M~

HpMediaSmartServer WHS 2003 running SC7.1 , SB3 , Duet

I can't really help with the problems extracting MIP on the WHS - I think you posted about that before?

Anything else that is already ticked on the Settings/Plugins page is either preinstalled in Squeezecenter or you've installed it yourself. To add new plugins, you add them to the plugins directory of SC and stop/start SC to bring them up. To use MIP as an example, the plugin functionality to connect to an MIP instance and sync with SC is built into SC, and available to use which is why you see it in the Plugins page. However, you need to MIP running first to utilise the plugin, which is where your problems start.

How are you connecting to your WHS instance - via a remote desktop? I seem to remember someone saying that running executable files from the WHS desktop was a problem. Have you tried saving the executable into a different/separate folder and then executing it?

Moonloop
2008-08-14, 11:40
Hi ,
Thanks for the reply . I have indeed posted about this before .

I'm amazed that I appear to be the only person with the Hp MediaSmartServer running SC 7.1 and desiring to run MusicIP ( or anything else ) on it as a plugin !!

Ive trawled through wegotserved.co.uk , HpMediaSmartServer , musicip forum and here and not come across anyone with the same or similar setup and problem .

Ive gone to this page http://www.musicip.com/mixer/index.jsp and selected the Windows package and downloaded it onto the Server into the SC Plugins directory ( Ive also tried the Program Files/MusicIP default address ) . Inboth cases I double-click the file and it says ' Extracting Files '... but goes no further . The Server Task Manager says the program is running but when I try to 'End Task' as it is hanging , it says its ' Not Responding ' .

I tried everything again having stopped SC , same result . Ive regularly downloaded 'Nightlies' with no problems ( or only occasional problems ;) )so it really is a mystery to me ( and therefore probably has a really easy solution :D )

Best

~M~

Hp MediaSmartServer WHS 2003 , SC 7.1 , SBŁ , Duet

Frosch
2008-08-14, 13:37
Hello Siduhe – Thanks for your quick reply

Frosch, could you be confusing "plugins" which are installed in Squeezecenter, and "applets" which are specificially installed and visible on the Duet Controller?

Yes, maybe I confused these. However: Where would I find the plugins / applets shown in SC 7.1 how like Slacker (v1.0), SlimTris (v1.0) aso? Regardless whether I tick them or not, they are not visible on the DUET.

Also, you may need to restart SC after installing for any plugin to work

I have done this of course, many times

davep
2008-08-14, 16:02
Hi ,

Ive gone to this page http://www.musicip.com/mixer/index.jsp and selected the Windows package and downloaded it onto the Server into the SC Plugins directory ( Ive also tried the Program Files/MusicIP default address ) . Inboth cases I double-click the file and it says ' Extracting Files '... but goes no further . The Server Task Manager says the program is running but when I try to 'End Task' as it is hanging , it says its ' Not Responding ' .

I'm not sure about the reason for the hanging extraction but it is important to understand that MIP is not a plugin for SqueezeCentre and should not really be put in the plugins directory. MIP is a standalone app which is quite independent of SC and runs with its own UI. There is an interface between the two which is part of the SC install and allows mixes to be generated from the SC interface but that is the only connection. You should certainly try to do a standard install - download the exe to somewhere like the desktop and let it do it's thing, accepting the defaults for location. This might make a difference.

davep

radish
2008-08-14, 16:59
Yes, maybe I confused these. However: Where would I find the plugins / applets shown in SC 7.1 how like Slacker (v1.0), SlimTris (v1.0) aso? Regardless whether I tick them or not, they are not visible on the DUET.

Slacker is under Music Services on the SBC. SlimTris isn't supported on the SBC as far as I know.

Siduhe
2008-08-15, 02:15
You will also only see Slacker if you are based in the US, not sure if that may be relevant to you.

Moonloop
2008-08-15, 04:12
davep

Thanks for that explanation . Ive done as you suggest but still sticks at ' Extracting..'. I checked the Error Report messages to MS and they only report 'hung app' . I may snoop around their knowledge base for more info . The program itself is just labelled ' Windows' so I'm assuming that covers Xp , Vista and Home Server or whatever .

The search continues..

Best

~M~

Siduhe
2008-08-15, 04:49
davep

Thanks for that explanation . Ive done as you suggest but still sticks at ' Extracting..'.

Er, did you look on the MIP forums? There is a thread on there which references WHS specifically, and has very similar symptoms on a Windows install to what you are experiencing. Appears to be related to having another type of music server running (Firefly). There is a proposed solution about three quarters of the way down this thread (http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=2585&st=0&p=12604&#entry12604) - but basically you need to stopping the Firefly server and Bonjour service from the Services Admin Tool (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) and then run the installer.

Moonloop
2008-08-15, 06:52
Er , I did actually go through there but obviously not thoroughly enough ;)

I'll read it through and check out the instructions on spicefly.com again and see if I get lucky ( and actually understand what needs doing )

Many Thanks for your help , I'll let you know how I got on later or else if you hear gentle sobbing from the Waiting Room you'll know the outcome :D

Best

~M~

Moonloop
2008-08-15, 09:57
Ok ,
I know when I'm licked ! My girlfriend works in IT and we've spent all afternoon at this . Got it downloaded , tried following Spicefly's instructions ( and Music Ip's own and the SlimdevicesWiki ) and just got bored with the whole thing and actually being deprived of our music ! Its certainly not a very intuitive process .

Anyway , Thanks for your comments , SC has almost concluded re-scanning our music collection and normal service will shortly be resumed

Best

~M~

davep
2008-08-15, 18:54
davep

Thanks for that explanation . Ive done as you suggest but still sticks at ' Extracting..'. I checked the Error Report messages to MS and they only report 'hung app' . I may snoop around their knowledge base for more info . The program itself is just labelled ' Windows' so I'm assuming that covers Xp , Vista and Home Server or whatever .

The search continues..

Best

~M~
Looking at the MusicIP page it says:
Operating Systems
PC: Windows 2000, XP or Vista

Now, I don't know anything about MS Home Server (escaped from dependence on MS whims to Linux some time ago) so I'm not sure if this runs a different version of the MS OS or it is just a flavour of XP or Vista.

I am assuming you have tried a fresh download in case your original was somehow corrupted. It should give you an exe file which you run and then it will do the extract, install, clean-up thing to leave you with a standalone program which you run in the normal way from the Start menu.

davep

bonze
2008-08-16, 01:55
The Windows Version (MusicMixer1.8.1b.exe) works OK on WHS.

Moonloop
2008-08-16, 02:16
" The Windows Version (MusicMixer1.8.1b.exe) works OK on WHS. "

It was indeed the Windows version that I used . I even e-mailed Music IP but didnt get a reply . It may work on WHS but in the absence of 1-10 , A-Z steps to install it , it just seems like a lot of trouble .

It still seems to me to be a cool thing to have and I will keep an eye out for clearer details on installation but even after we got it installed and working on our music folder ( it hinted 4.7 weeks even though most tracks were in 'green' print ) SC couldnt see it .

One day , off work probably , we'll have another go

Thanks again ,

Best

~M~

bonze
2008-08-16, 05:05
So you did get it installed then....
What was the problem with the install .exe and how did you solve it?
Might be helpful for others in the future.

The 4.7 weeks is how long it would take to play all your music, not how long it will take to verify. You'll notice it never changes.
The number you want to look at is in the bottom left of the Mixer pane.

I also don't understand what 'clearer details' you are looking for. What is missing? What is it not doing?

Moonloop
2008-08-16, 07:22
Hi,
We got it installed by following the instructions in post no.9 of this thread :

http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=2585&st=0&p=12604&#entry12604

kindly found by Siduhe above . Basically you have to stop the Bonjour and Firefly services on the server for the install of Music IP to finish . Its from this point on that the confusion arises . Following the instructions on spicefly.com didnt yield the correct results and then SC couldnt see Music IP music collection so we somehow ended up with 45 playable songs instead of 11k+ !

Although Im not too sure about signing over my music folder to Music IP it doesnt seem to bother either SC itself or other people and I still like the idea of using it but any instructions Ive found either on MusicIP.com , slimdeviceswiki or spicefly dont make sense to me .

Long way of saying I need an idiots guide , I guess :O)

Best

~M~