PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Receiver Turns Itself On

maggior
2008-08-13, 09:15
I have my Duet for less than a week and I noticed that it will turn itself on after a while.

Using the controller, I'll turn it off. Overnight or a few hours later, I'll walk up to it and the light on the front will be white. If I fire up the controller, I have an option to turn the player on. So it is like it turned itself on but didn't notify anything else.

My receiver is connected via WiFi. I am running the released version of 7.1 on Open SuSE 10.2.

Anybody else experience this? I see where others had the issue, but it was months ago.

Thanks.

iPhone
2008-08-13, 09:51
I have my Duet for less than a week and I noticed that it will turn itself on after a while.

Using the controller, I'll turn it off. Overnight or a few hours later, I'll walk up to it and the light on the front will be white. If I fire up the controller, I have an option to turn the player on. So it is like it turned itself on but didn't notify anything else.

My receiver is connected via WiFi. I am running the released version of 7.1 on Open SuSE 10.2.

Anybody else experience this? I see where others had the issue, but it was months ago.

Thanks.

Hello Rich,
Couple of months ago I went over the states of the SBR in a beginners post. My quick question is, is it really ON? If you turn your Amp/Pre-amp or Receiver on do you have music if you hit the pause/play button on the Controller? Or do you have to select Turn On from the SBC first? The SBR is never really off, it is either in Standby or On. When On, it is ready to play music if there is music queued by just pressing Play.

Several things can make the LED on the front of the SBR come on when it is in Standby. I have noticed several things that make it look like it is ON when it has just changed status states. Restarting SC, rebooting a network, rebooting a server, receiving an automatic update, it reconnects to SqeezeNetwork, can all cause the LED to come on when the unit was turned to Off (really standyby) by the Controller.

I guess the bottom line of what I am trying to say is if it is not playing music all is fine as the unit is never really off unless one unplugs it.

maggior
2008-08-13, 12:16
Hi -

Yes, I understand that it is always on, even when it is off :-). I have not restarted my system and no updates have been made to the SBR - I'm still running 7.1 production.

Perhaps it's got something to do with the network, but I doubt it. It's happened during the day and at night. During the day I know my wife isn't doing anything that might reset the network. I was using SqueezeNetwork last night - maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll keep an eye on it to see if there is a pattern. The bottom line though is that if the light is supposed to function as a power (or standby/non-standby) indicator, it should remain off when the unit is powered off (or in standby).

Mark Miksis
2008-08-13, 12:26
If you're using the 7.1 RPM, the logrotate script will cause SC to restart based on whatever SUSE's default logrotate settings are (probably weekly).

I don't have an SBR to test with, but on my other players this restart has never caused them to turn on.

iPhone
2008-08-13, 12:46
Hi -

Yes, I understand that it is always on, even when it is off :-). I have not restarted my system and no updates have been made to the SBR - I'm still running 7.1 production.

Perhaps it's got something to do with the network, but I doubt it. It's happened during the day and at night. During the day I know my wife isn't doing anything that might reset the network. I was using SqueezeNetwork last night - maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll keep an eye on it to see if there is a pattern. The bottom line though is that if the light is supposed to function as a power (or standby/non-standby) indicator, it should remain off when the unit is powered off (or in standby).

OK Rich. Another quick question, did you leave the SBR connected to SN when you turned it off (to standby) last night? Or did you switch back to SC before going to Standby? If you left it on SN and then just went to Standby, if the Internet, your network, the SN server, if any lost contact with SN/SBR then when it "saw" it again, the SBR reconnected and then I believe that is why the LED is on.

maggior
2008-08-13, 13:31
I found the thread that iPhone refers to:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48414

I don't want to dredge up the discussion again, but just state that I'm in the "if I turn it off, and the light goes out, the light should remain out" camp.

It's good to know the various reasons why the light will come back on.

dean
2008-08-13, 20:55
Thanks for the report, I've taken the liberty to file this bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9141

Feel free to add your name to it so you can track its progress...

maggior
2008-08-14, 08:10
Thanks Dean! I'm glad to see that you guys have an interest in cleaning up issues like this. It's issues like this that can give the product an undeserved bad image.

Are you guys also looking at the setup issues that many folks (including myself) have experienced? Knowing you guys, you probably have quitely fixed many of the issues in the background.

krimmo
2008-08-14, 09:19

Thanks.

Hi

Just want to add that I have the exact same behavior on my Duet. I have 2 receivers and they both behave exactly the same.

My squeezeboxes are always connected Squeezenetwork.com when not in use against my local Squeezecenter 7.1 (QNAP TS109 powered).

I have seen this behavior always on my receivers no matter what software version they have been on, but never on my SB3 (classic).

A fix would be very nice...!!

Regards

99-dk
2008-08-22, 12:11
Hi,

Same behavior here on my reciver. Since it was mentioned.... that various activity may turn it on... I've considered that the planned scanning of my music libray, every night at 1:00 o'clock, might turn it on.

ptrendy
2008-08-26, 19:01
Same here, Duet seems to turn itself on everyday, SB3 is fine. Started happening when I changed wireless hub from a BTHome hub version 1 to a version 2.

DejanM
2008-08-26, 22:28
I have the same problem. It manifests also in an additional way ... I have connected my Duet through coax digital output with the external DAC. External DAC is always powered on but it is normally in stand-by if there is no signal from the source. When I put my Duet Receiver in "OFF" state, my DAC is still powered on - not in a stand-by !? There are some settings in SC concerning the behavior of Duet Receiver when turned off, but they do not work.

It seems to me that it is useless to turn Receiver off - it is actually always turned on.