PDA

View Full Version : Where is controller's "expansion port"?

tbessie
2008-08-13, 02:28
I keep reading about the SB Controller's "expansion port", but on the bottom of my controller is what would be some kind of port, I suppose, but it is blocked off by a piece of plastic.

Is there anything behind that, or are they not actually including any port there?

- Tim

autopilot
2008-08-13, 03:07
There is, but it not do anything.

tbessie
2008-08-13, 10:09
There is, but it not do anything.

Is it possible to expose the port? Is that plastic removable, or is it permanently blocked?

- Tim

bpa
2008-08-13, 10:17
You can remove it, it is diificult but what is the point. The connector does not seem to be a common available one.

As per the Wiki the expansion connector that brings out: serial, USB (host or device), audio out, audio in, 3.3v out, 5v in.

I think only the serial is really supported. Any of the USB support will probably need kernel modules added.

pfarrell
2008-08-13, 10:29
bpa wrote:
> You can remove it, it is diificult but what is the point. The connector
> does not seem to be a common available one.

The point is that its an example of Slim/Logi providing support for
hackers. Its a hack port. They provide it, you have to invent something
clever to do with it.

Compare to most vendors that cover all of their products in epoxy so you
can't change it. Not quite open source hardware, but close.

I'm sure that the connector is availble at Digikey or Mouser, even if
its not at Radio Shack. I have no idea what it is, but Sean and company
have been very open with details like this.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

bpa
2008-08-13, 12:40
> You can remove it, it is diificult but what is the point. The connector
> does not seem to be a common available one.

I was a bit careless in phrasing my response - I really meant
"what would you like to do with the expansion port ?"

IIRC During beta, I think a usb-ethernet adaptor was tested.

If Squeezeplay is popular then a external battery pack could be useful.

I've checked my local suppliers and I couldn't locate a match for the connector. I've found some very similar (size & pins) but none with the 3 grooves.

autopilot
2008-08-13, 12:41
The point is that its an example of Slim/Logi providing support for
hackers. Its a hack port. They provide it, you have to invent something
clever to do with it.[/url]
I think its grear they have provided it, but i very much doubt we will ever see it used - at least not with this generation of SBc but maybe a future one. Has anyone yet even thought a of useful purpose/application for it yet?

JorgenG.
2008-08-13, 14:11
I think its grear they have provided it, but i very much doubt we will ever see it used - at least not with this generation of SBc but maybe a future one. Has anyone yet even thought a of useful purpose/application for it yet?

I was thinking about using the controller with Logitech's own "Pure-Fi" docking systems. Is that possible?. I would love to see that.

dean
2008-08-13, 15:50
The "expansion" port is really used for factory test, low level software development and debugging. (i.e. when you need a serial console really really bad).

It's not a supported feature of the product (i.e. when you plug something into it and it breaks, it's not covered by the warranty).

That said, if anyone is interested in some low-level hacking, let me know and I can post the pinout of the port.

-dean

Goodsounds
2008-08-13, 21:20
Lotta bad guessing going on!

tbessie
2008-08-14, 00:33
The "expansion" port is really used for factory test, low level software development and debugging. (i.e. when you need a serial console really really bad).

It's not a supported feature of the product (i.e. when you plug something into it and it breaks, it's not covered by the warranty).

That said, if anyone is interested in some low-level hacking, let me know and I can post the pinout of the port.

-dean

Tho' I ask lots of questions here, I *am* quite grateful that someone like Dean, who must be ridiculously busy at work, has time to occasionally answer a question here. That's unheard of most places, so thank you!

- Tim

Kim.T
2008-08-14, 01:13
There is a picture of it on Logitech homepage - if you find the Controller and click on more picktures :
http://www.logitech.com/repository/642/jpg/6297.1.0.jpg

TheWhip
2008-12-24, 09:29
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was curious about the expansion port, and found only this thread. Yes, I would like to see the pinout of the expansion port, as well as the make/model number of the expansion connector.

ibid
2009-12-04, 21:55

My niece came to dinner recently and asked if she could somehow play some of the songs on her iPhone through my Duet system. That completely stumped me. It would be very useful to be able to attach a dock to the remote and access the iPod/iPhone's music as another music source.

funkstar
2009-12-05, 03:57
My niece came to dinner recently and asked if she could somehow play some of the songs on her iPhone through my Duet system. That completely stumped me. It would be very useful to be able to attach a dock to the remote and access the iPod/iPhone's music as another music source.
The Duet can't do this, but the Boom and Radio can through a basic line in. The upcoming Touch will be able to do it in two ways. Either an external USB sound card which will take a line in, or by connecting the iPod* directly to the USB port and letting the Touch's internal server scan the music on the iPod making it available for playback and to be streamed to other Squeeze players on the network.

*This depends on the particular iPod. Won't work with the iPod Touch or iPhone.

tsfh
2012-09-19, 18:40

-dean

Obviously yes!
This plug has several expensions (USB / serial / line in / line out) as shown here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Controller

moreover, in case of kernel developpement (I have one ex with a half-broken lcd display ;), especially now controller is discontinued, serial can be really useful :)

If any signal adaptation is needed, a circuit schematic on that would help too!

tsfh
2016-05-09, 15:37
I know thats a bit late to ask for it once more, but

-dean

Yes! please post it (pin layout), preferably with case front/backside indication.

While I'm unsure it would help in case of major failure (as re-loading a kernel/os on some network devices).