PDA

View Full Version : SB Controller scroll-wheel...

tbessie
2008-08-13, 01:58
Is the iPod's scroll-wheel technology patented, so that it can't be used by anybody else? The physical/moving scroll-wheel on the controller is a little imprecise, compared to the iPod, it seems, and I also have to press slightly harder than the touch-sensor on an iPod. It would be so nice if it were the same sort of control.

Also, I keep finding myself trying to push up/down/left/right on the wheel, as one does on the iPod. It would be nice if the wheel had those.

I've never owned an iPod, but I can see why the scroll-wheel interface is so popular.

- Tim

simbo
2008-08-13, 02:18
Is the iPod's scroll-wheel technology patented, so that it can't be used by anybody else?
I doubt it. The Sonos controller uses a similar non-moving wheel.

Dogberry2
2008-08-13, 13:44
I prefer the moving wheel. The tactile sensation of the movement gives me much better control (and the audible feedback is also good). The iPod wheel is much too sensitive, and therefore annoying. I always thought of it as an example of trying too hard to be too high-tech, and pack too much functionality into one small place. I much prefer the Duet controller.

Which simply means: different strokes for different folks.