PDA

View Full Version : LG Dare

gmurphy
2008-08-12, 09:11
long time owner of slimp3 sb1 sb2....
has anyone had luck running squeezecenter on this phone.
after some reading here. suggestions so far have been.

http://my ip:9000/mobile
http://my ip:9000

changed skin to mobile/touch screen

port forward is on.

works on laptop no problem.

this phone does not have wifi.

any suggestions, or does anyone have this phone

ds2021
2008-08-12, 09:52
Without wi-fi, the only strategy that I can imagine would be to access your Squeezecenter server over your 3G/EDGE network. This would likely entail setting up a Dynamic DNS service, ensuring that the appropriate port forwarding is enabled, and using the /handheld skin (not sure how the touch skin will appear on your phone).

This will of course be relatively slow as you will be accessing your network from the outside via a slow connection. I have this setup on my own network and it does work, but as my phone is wi-fi capable, it has not had much use other than perhaps scaring the dog while out.

gmurphy
2008-08-13, 11:08
thanks for the info. i was hoping to use the lg dare as a remote, controlling my music on the deck or in the bedroom, somewhat like the new duet with out the $400 price tag.

i have tried everything, i have a dyndns, port forward yada yada, could it be that my collection of music to large to load on this device, as i said i can access outside my network via my lappy.

tx in advance

4mula1
2008-08-13, 11:38
Your data plan may not allow use of port 9000. The data plan I have with my provider allows use of port 80 but not ports 21 and 22. If I move to a full internet plan I can have those ports, but I'm paying $2.99 per line for data vs. $20.

bhaagensen
2008-08-13, 12:19
i have tried everything, i have a dyndns, port forward yada yada, could it be that my collection of music to large to load on this device, as i said i can access outside my network via my lappy.

No I don't think so; it doesn't load everything in one go, and even if it did, you should see *something* showing up eventually. But the url you are using seems strange, I don't think a "mobile" skin exists? I'm using

ip:9000/handheld

Anyway it could also be a problem with your mobile internet settings. On my phone there is a thing called "accesspoint". My provider makes it possible to setup the phone using a "wap" accesspoint which allows web-browsing. However pop and imap email only works with a "internet" accesspoint.

If that approach turns out impossible, you might try and check out whether your phone supports ip over bluetooth. That should make it possible to access SC within your lan at least.

gmurphy
2008-08-20, 11:58
thanks again for the info.

i have tried the suggestions above.

phone hangs, it was suggested that my phone provider may not allow port 9000. i guess i will have to call them.

on good thing, while sitting here on vacation, i hacked the phone and i am using it as dial up modem, getting 460kps here on the lake far from any dsl or cable, almost better than my dsl at home. glad i took the lappy on vacation just to mess around with.

cheers!

-g

funkstar
2008-08-21, 00:03
Do you have any other web servers on your PC that run on Port 80?

If not, there is no reason you can't change the SC7 port to 80, making your mobile provider think you are just accessing a regular site. Even if you do it temporarily, it would be good for trouble shooting.