PDA

View Full Version : Both mp3 and flac: what is played back?

kanten
2008-08-11, 02:37
Hi,

I have most of my music in both flac and mp3. The files share one folder for each album. How do I make sure, that the flac files are played back and not the mp3 files?

/Anders

kanten
2008-08-11, 03:57
I have now realized that for some of my albums, the track are listed twice; once for the mp3 version and one for the flac version. How do I make It stop this behavior?

/Anders

jeffmeh
2008-08-11, 04:38
If you want to get SC to ignore all mp3 files, then you can do that by putting "mp3" in Settings > Advanced > File Types > Disabled audio file extensions.

An alternative is to separate the mp3 files into a different directory tree, so they will not be found by SC. This would allow you to keep any mp3s for which you do not have flacs in the directory tree known to SC, so SC could play them.

For either approach you should do a clear and rescan afterwards.

kanten
2008-08-11, 08:38
If you want to get SC to ignore all mp3 files, then you can do that by putting "mp3" in Settings > Advanced > File Types > Disabled audio file extensions.

An alternative is to separate the mp3 files into a different directory tree, so they will not be found by SC. This would allow you to keep any mp3s for which you do not have flacs in the directory tree known to SC, so SC could play them.

The problem with either approach is that, it is just for some albums that I have a Flac version, so I would have to manually sort though all albums, and most of the mp3-files would be duplicated in two trees.

Can't I make Squeezecenter to abide to the following rule: "If Flac exists ignore mp3"?

/Anders

simbo
2008-08-12, 05:09
To the best of my knowledge, no. If you want to ensure there are no duplicates in your SqueezeCenter library you must ensure there are no duplicates in your collection.

If your a tweaker, you could consider writing a query that removes the duplicates from the SC database. A bit messy though.

I have to ask: Why would you want to store the same track in both MP3 and FLAC formats?

andynormancx
2008-08-12, 05:24
I have to ask: Why would you want to store the same track in both MP3 and FLAC formats?
Because Apple's players (and plenty of other hardware players) don't support FLAC ?

I have FLAC (for my SB), high rate MP3 (for my empeg) and low rate MP3 (for my phone). But I have had the sense to keep them under separate folder structures.

kanten
2008-08-12, 05:27
Because Apple's players (and plenty of other hardware players) don't support FLAC ?

Precisely

I have FLAC (for my SB), high rate MP3 (for my empeg) and low rate MP3 (for my phone). But I have had the sense to keep them under separate folder structures.

Well I have now acquired the sense and begun moving my mp3-files into a separate directory tree, as this seems like the only viable solution.

Thanks for alle the suggestions.

/Anders

simbo
2008-08-12, 05:36

Why not use something like MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com) to convert your FLAC files, on the fly, while it synchronises to your MP3 player? You can have full control over the format/bitrate you want to convert to.

Then you only need one copy - the best one - in your library!

andynormancx
2008-08-12, 05:38
Well I have now acquired the sense and begun moving my mp3-files into a separate directory tree, as this seems like the only viable solution.

It should be quite easy to do fairly automatically:

- copy the top level directory
- name one MP3 and the other FLAC
- use the Windows Explorer search within the MP3 for FLAC, select all the search results and hit delete
- do the opposite in the FLAC folders

Shouldn't take long, as long as you have the disk space.

Nonreality
2008-08-12, 12:14
Precisely

Thanks for alle the suggestions.

/AndersI appended (FLAC) to all my flac album names for ease of spotting them. It helps for when you manually pick an album. Mp3tag can do this in seconds. I keep both in their own directory structures and have a folder with shortcuts to both. Not the best solution but works fine for me.