Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigTony
    • Mar 2007

softsqueeze incompatible with sc7.1

Tried to listen to music at work via SoftSqueeze, after upgrading to SC7.1, i downloaded the new verssion of squeeze, but it also fails to play with SC7.1!
    Clues or suggestions?

Cheers

BT

Win XP SP 3
    We're Only In It For The Music! www.zappateers.com
  • jwka
    • May 2008

same problem.

Ive got the same problem.

I found out that using softsqueeze's own buttons (not remot thru controller or web interface of SC) allows for playing - sometimes at least.

Comment

• mkanet
      • Oct 2006

So how does Slim Devices expect for us to test client playback via software?

Is there a Softsqueeze version 3.7 we can download? What's the trick to make this work? I have a SB Duet sitting in the other room collecting dust; as I prefer my PC for controlling SC.

Comment

• Pat Farrell
        • Apr 2005

mkanet wrote:
        > I have a SB Duet sitting in the other room
        > collecting dust; as I prefer my PC for controlling SC.

This makes zero sense to me. I control my Duet/Receiver with my laptop
        all the time. I use the laptop and the web interface more than I use my
        Controller. Mostly because my fingers are on the laptop keyboard most of
        the day, and the Controller is two feet away.

Softsqueeze has nothing to do with controlling a Receiver, or a
        Transporter or a SqueezeBox.

--
        Pat Farrell

Pat
        http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• mkanet
          • Oct 2006

Sorry, I didn't explain.. I use softqueeze's jar file and respective supprt files... but actually use a superior interface to both the Duet and Softsqueeze itself. Unfortunately, it's softwqueeze dependant...

Originally posted by pfarrell
          mkanet wrote:
          > I have a SB Duet sitting in the other room
          > collecting dust; as I prefer my PC for controlling SC.

This makes zero sense to me. I control my Duet/Receiver with my laptop
          all the time. I use the laptop and the web interface more than I use my
          Controller. Mostly because my fingers are on the laptop keyboard most of
          the day, and the Controller is two feet away.

Softsqueeze has nothing to do with controlling a Receiver, or a
          Transporter or a SqueezeBox.

--
          Pat Farrell
          http://www.pfarrell.com/
          Last edited by mkanet; 2008-08-15, 06:14.

Comment

• Pat Farrell
            • Apr 2005

mkanet wrote:
            > Sorry, I didn't explain.. I use softqueeze's jar file and respective
            > supprt files... but actually use a superior interface to both the Duet
            > and Softsqueeze itself. Unfortunately, it's softwqueeze dependant...

Well that hardly makes your Duet unusable.

Softsqueeze is being replaced, the new thing has a new name. Check the
            developers' forum. Or the roadmap to see which release it is planned to
            be in.

I didn't think Softsqueeze did anything more than use the standard CLI
            interface, but I've never been so unhappy with the normal Web interface
            to look under the covers.

--
            Pat Farrell

Pat

Comment

• mkanet
              • Oct 2006

Yeah, I didnt say Duet was unusable.. pardon the analogy, but its like the difference between driving my commute car and decked out sports car.

I knew about the thing in development, but I didnt expect they would take out functionality without having anything to take it's place in the distribution/installer.

Originally posted by pfarrell
              mkanet wrote:
              > Sorry, I didn't explain.. I use softqueeze's jar file and respective
              > supprt files... but actually use a superior interface to both the Duet
              > and Softsqueeze itself. Unfortunately, it's softwqueeze dependant...

Well that hardly makes your Duet unusable.

Softsqueeze is being replaced, the new thing has a new name. Check the
              developers' forum. Or the roadmap to see which release it is planned to
              be in.

I didn't think Softsqueeze did anything more than use the standard CLI
              interface, but I've never been so unhappy with the normal Web interface
              to look under the covers.

--
              Pat Farrell
              http://www.pfarrell.com/
              Last edited by mkanet; 2008-08-15, 06:32.

Comment

• Pat Farrell
                • Apr 2005

mkanet wrote:
                > I knew about the thing in development, but I didnt expect they would
                > take out functionality before without having the new one to take it's
                > place.

Patches welcome

The CLI has been documented and open since I got my first SqueezeBox
                model 1, before the 1-G graphics was released.

--
                Pat Farrell

Pat

Comment

• kdf
                  NOT a Slim Devices Employee
                  • Apr 2005

On 14-Aug-08, at 10:29 PM, mkanet wrote:
                  >
                  > I knew about the thing in development, but I didnt expect they would
                  > take out functionality before without having the new one to take it's
                  > place.
                  >

what exactly is the problem aside from a message saying it's not the
                  right SS version for the SC version, and a misleading message to
                  download a non-existent upgrade?
                  SS out of the box still works for me.

Plus, if you check bugzilla, you'll notice that there has been some
                  work to relieve users of that misleading warning and allow SS to keep
                  limping along a bit longer.

I don't believe anyone has taken out anything.

-kdf

Comment

• mkanet
                    • Oct 2006

Well, for at least my purposes, I was able to get it to wok fine. What threw me off was that I didnt see the link to install Softsqueeze 3.6 inside SC; and, I had already uninstalled SQ 3.6. However, it appears having my softsqueeze files from a previous installation will still talk to SqueezeCenter.

Comment

• mkanet
                      • Oct 2006

How do I install Softsqueeze 3.6?

Before upgrading to SC 7.1, I had uninstall Softsqueeze 3.6... thinking I was would upgrade to a newer version of Softsqueeze that came with SC 7.1 (installing from the settings menu). However, I don't see the option to install it under SC's settings menu. I couldn't find a download URL for Softsqueeze 3.6... only older version.

How do I install Softsqueeze 3.6 under SC 7.1 so it's just like all the previous versions of SC/Slimserver?

Comment

• kdf
                        • Apr 2005

> How do I install Softsqueeze 3.6 under SC 7.1 so it's just like all the
                        > previous versions of SC/Slimserver?

3.6 comes included in 7.1 and the webstart link is on the home page under
                        Extras. If you want access to the jar files, then you can find them in
                        HTML/EN/html/softsqueeze

Can't say I remember it ever being under "settings". When you have no
                        other player, you used to get a link in the current playlist section.

There hasn't been an active download site outside of the SC package since
                        before it was renamed to SC.

-kdf

Comment

• mkanet
                          • Oct 2006

There's an option in SC/Slimserver to install Softsqueeze (under player settings). At least there's always been one as far back as I can remember. This would install the latest version of Softsqueeze, creating a Start Menu group, adding the program in Add/remove programs with uninstall information. I'm not sure how to do this anymore.

Originally posted by kdf
                          > How do I install Softsqueeze 3.6 under SC 7.1 so it's just like all the
                          > previous versions of SC/Slimserver?

3.6 comes included in 7.1 and the webstart link is on the home page under
                          Extras. If you want access to the jar files, then you can find them in
                          HTML/EN/html/softsqueeze

Can't say I remember it ever being under "settings". When you have no
                          other player, you used to get a link in the current playlist section.

There hasn't been an active download site outside of the SC package since
                          before it was renamed to SC.

-kdf

Comment

• kdf
                            • Apr 2005

>
                            > There's an option in SC/Slimserver to install Softsqueeze (under player
                            > settings). At least there's always been one as far back as I can
                            > remember. This would install the latest version of Softsqueeze,
                            > creating a Start Menu group, adding the program in Add/remove programs
                            > with uninstall information. I'm not sure how to do this anymore.

ok, I see what you mean. This happens when there are no players detected,
                            same as what appears under the current playlist section.

Since the link was added to the extras menu, I only use that. As I have
                            said before, it's working fine for me. I use it every day.

Softsqueeze IS slated to be replaced, but the idea that someone out there
                            is "disabling" it is misplaced. It isn't officially supported any longer.
                            A version or two from now, there will be no more link from the home page,
                            but I know of now plans to deliberately disable to remove it from the
                            subversion repos. Even if that were to come to pass, it's open source.
                            Install JDK and Ant and you can build it yourself, changing anything you
                            don't like. That part won't change.

-kdf

Comment

• mkanet
                              • Oct 2006

Okay... I finally found what I was looking for. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, in theory... do you think Softsqueeze will break/stop working after it's next generation replacement gets installed?

Click to install and run SoftSqueeze.
                              You will notice some delay the first time you run SoftSqueeze due to the need to download the entire SoftSqueeze application. Future uses of the software will only download parts of the application that have been changed, if any, and should start much quicker.
                              You may also be prompted to update your version of Java before SoftSqueeze itself is started.

Originally posted by kdf
                              >
                              > There's an option in SC/Slimserver to install Softsqueeze (under player
                              > settings). At least there's always been one as far back as I can
                              > remember. This would install the latest version of Softsqueeze,
                              > creating a Start Menu group, adding the program in Add/remove programs
                              > with uninstall information. I'm not sure how to do this anymore.

ok, I see what you mean. This happens when there are no players detected,
                              same as what appears under the current playlist section.

Since the link was added to the extras menu, I only use that. As I have
                              said before, it's working fine for me. I use it every day.

Softsqueeze IS slated to be replaced, but the idea that someone out there
                              is "disabling" it is misplaced. It isn't officially supported any longer.
                              A version or two from now, there will be no more link from the home page,
                              but I know of now plans to deliberately disable to remove it from the
                              subversion repos. Even if that were to come to pass, it's open source.
                              Install JDK and Ant and you can build it yourself, changing anything you
                              don't like. That part won't change.

-kdf

Comment

Working...