PDA

View Full Version : Does screensaver save the screen ?

Squid
2008-08-08, 04:26
Maybe a silly question: but what's the use of the screensaver ?
Is the fluorescent display susceptible to burn-in ? Or are there other drawbacks of keeping brightness at the maximum level ?
E.g. at default settings the brightness of the clock screensaver is set to minimum which means it's totally unreadable during daylight except from up close. So I'm contemplating just setting everything at normal brightness such that the SB can also act as a regular clock or maybe even an RSS ticker.

mherger
2008-08-08, 05:09
> Maybe a silly question: but what's the use of the screensaver ?

Displayer more interesting/nice/funny things than the menu structure.

--

Michael

badbob
2008-08-08, 05:14
The display in the SB can gradually decrease in brightness afaik so best not to have static text.

Squid
2008-08-08, 06:01
Displayer more interesting/nice/funny things than the menu structure.

I should have phrased my question differently: why dim the display ?
I was indeed thinking: why would I dim the display while I can have all sorts of information (e.g. RSS feeds) shown on the display 24/7.
The intent of a screensaver is to save the screen. You only do that if there's a risk for damaging the screen (e.g. burn-in, fade-out,...)

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display. So indeed, it's best not to put up static text at high brightness for prolongued time.

radish
2008-08-08, 07:47
A lot of people also prefer not to have bright lights on all the time (e.g players in bedrooms).

booguss
2008-08-08, 11:20
Very very ineresting topic! I have thought about the same thing more than once but never produced a thread about it!

Cheers! Boo