PDA

View Full Version : Happy customer set-up & install

Swamp600
2008-08-07, 05:54
For info and interest:

Set up slimserver and a squeezebox duet on my home network yesterday, and have to say I am knocked out at how easy and good it has been.

My set-up:

> Home network 10/100 LAN & 802.11g wireless
> Running 1 x PC on LAN, 1 x laptop wireless, 1 x PC LAN via powerline, 1 x IPTV system from BT Vision
> Netgear gigabyte switch distributing LAN
> Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 500 GB x 2

I run my ReadyNAS with two drives on a RAID for back up, photos and media, including all my music which all sits on the NAS.

The Netgear ReadyNAS Duo comes with slimserver loaded, but an old version.

This was the first challenge to download the new slimserver .bin file and get it on to the NAS. This is not obvious and is not really a supported operation by Logitech or Netgear, but the Netgear forums helped. Download, up-date software, and then re-boot worked well.

On re-boot the new slimserver software saw all my music and catalogued it.

Next was to buy a squeezebox duet, ordered from www.dabs.com that afternoon, arrived the next morning, excellent!

Set up the receiver and controller, receiver found my BT Home Hub wireless network, plus some others, straight away and with the WAP key connected no problem, it also saw and found my ReadyNAS and connected. I was up and playing music within minutes.

I have my squeezebox connected to my whole house audio system, a Russ Sound, and it works a treat.

Cool aspects are the ability to control volume from the controller, see album art, and play radio stations including news from the controller. Also with the ReadyNAS setup no need to switch any PC's on.

Any issues? Some:

> Lost contact with the NAS for some reason, hasn't happed since, but a re-boot of the NAS sorted this

> When playing a genre i.e. easy listening, it has stopped half way through songs and replayed them. No idea why. But all other functions including play all random work fine

> A small disappointment is that the ReadyNAS does not support AlienBBC and other 3rd party plug in's, so can not access BBC radio channels or other plug in services, but I can live with that to have access to all my music and the squeezebox radio choices.

Overall very happy with the setup and the kit and best of all my kids think their Dad is cool. Who could ask for more.

trautigan
2008-08-08, 06:29
I have a similar config., and overall I totally agree - this is easy to setup and use.

We tend to get bogged down in the minutiae (and this systems allows for many levels of geekery which is not a bad thing) and can lose sight of the fact that this is probably the best solution on the market.

I'm a fan.

hifial
2008-10-14, 13:26
I have been trying for months to get the Buffalo linkstation Live to run Squeezcenter. Once I seen a the ReadyNas I was delighted

This is the best solution for the non Linux people by a mile!!!

androidtopp
2008-10-14, 13:34
It seems like I see a lot of negative press afforded the Duet, the Reciever in particular, but I think it's just a case of people not speaking up when it works like we all know these things can work.

Nonreality
2008-10-15, 23:53
I see the word "kit" used a lot and I think it means the same a system, am I right? It's not used like that over here in the states.

Howard Passman
2008-10-17, 02:23
For info and interest:

Set up slimserver and a squeezebox duet on my home network yesterday, and have to say I am knocked out at how easy and good it has been.

My set-up:

> Home network 10/100 LAN & 802.11g wireless
> Running 1 x PC on LAN, 1 x laptop wireless, 1 x PC LAN via powerline, 1 x IPTV system from BT Vision
> Netgear gigabyte switch distributing LAN
> Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 500 GB x 2

I run my ReadyNAS with two drives on a RAID for back up, photos and media, including all my music which all sits on the NAS.

The Netgear ReadyNAS Duo comes with slimserver loaded, but an old version.

This was the first challenge to download the new slimserver .bin file and get it on to the NAS. This is not obvious and is not really a supported operation by Logitech or Netgear, but the Netgear forums helped. Download, up-date software, and then re-boot worked well.

On re-boot the new slimserver software saw all my music and catalogued it.

Next was to buy a squeezebox duet, ordered from www.dabs.com that afternoon, arrived the next morning, excellent!

Set up the receiver and controller, receiver found my BT Home Hub wireless network, plus some others, straight away and with the WAP key connected no problem, it also saw and found my ReadyNAS and connected. I was up and playing music within minutes.

I have my squeezebox connected to my whole house audio system, a Russ Sound, and it works a treat.

Cool aspects are the ability to control volume from the controller, see album art, and play radio stations including news from the controller. Also with the ReadyNAS setup no need to switch any PC's on.

Any issues? Some:

> Lost contact with the NAS for some reason, hasn't happed since, but a re-boot of the NAS sorted this

> When playing a genre i.e. easy listening, it has stopped half way through songs and replayed them. No idea why. But all other functions including play all random work fine

> A small disappointment is that the ReadyNAS does not support AlienBBC and other 3rd party plug in's, so can not access BBC radio channels or other plug in services, but I can live with that to have access to all my music and the squeezebox radio choices.

Overall very happy with the setup and the kit and best of all my kids think their Dad is cool. Who could ask for more.

I'm not saying you will, but the best improvement I've made with my SB set ups is getting rid of my ReadyNAS and just using a simple Windows box. Even though I upgraded the RAM in my NAS the UI was very slow. It always seemed to have little issues and as you've already pointed out, you have to wait for a third party before you can use plug-ins and newer versions of SqueezeCenter.

Of all the above, I'm finding the the plug-in issues and the ability to use the latest SC (even beta) to be a big advantage and part of the charm of the whole SB experience. Right now I'm having a blast listening to msuic through my SB Controller. That capability was one of the things I was drawn to when I first heard about the DUET and now it's working (beta).

Although, I really just like listenning to music, this thing draws you in and when something isn't changing or being added you start jonesing.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in. If you start getting frustrated because SC is slow, plug-ins are unreliable and you can't get the latest and greatest SC, just slap together a little Windows box (I like and used the Shuttle) and your issues should be over.

Have a great weekend

Howard