PDA

View Full Version : Multiple copies of the same song, and other library issues.

Meatwad650
2008-08-07, 02:49
I've got some library management issues, and maybe folks can help:

What's the best way of having multiple copies of the same song around?

Here's the scenario: I've got multiple copies of files around. For example, I ripped a CD in FLAC and then transcoded to MP3 for the iPod. But not all my MP3s are available in FLAC. So I would love to have a way to be able to tell SC "Hey, look in /FLAC *and* look in /MP3. But if you find the same song/album/whatever in both places then don't bother with the one in /MP3".

Now even if SC could do this I'd have another problem: I've got SC right now using my iTunes library. (I know I could rip to Apple Lossless, but I don't want to for a few reasons, one being that my Denon AVR can't play it, but it can play FLAC.) This is great with smart playlists and the like. However, obviously to do the above I'd need to not do that anymore and just scan through all my music...but I like my iTunes playlists. Can I just keep them?

If anyone is in a similar dilemma and has advice, let me know.

Letten
2008-08-07, 04:04
Keep your MP3's in seperate folders
\MP3copies(of flac)
\MP3originals
\Flac

Then create an "empty" Musicfolder for SC, and place shortcuts to the folders you want SC to scan (\Flac + \MP3Originals), SC will follow the shortcuts and scan those folders.

Nonreality
2008-08-07, 05:39
Keep your MP3's in seperate folders
\MP3copies(of flac)
\MP3originals
\Flac

Then create an "empty" Musicfolder for SC, and place shortcuts to the folders you want SC to scan (\Flac + \MP3Originals), SC will follow the shortcuts and scan those folders.
I do just 2. MP3 and Flac but I append (FLAC) to all my Flack album names using mp3tag that way I can see which to play. Not perfect but it works.

Meatwad650
2008-08-07, 17:21
The problem with that method is that now I guess I can't use iTunes to keep the folders organized anymore. And that kind of sucks. And then I have to go and sort all this out...what a mess. And of course I will no longer be able to use iTunes to create things like Smart Playlists that I can use in SC, which also sucks.

It's either gonna be a really complicated script or, ideally, I should be able to tell SC to prefer one format over another.

tedfroop
2008-08-07, 20:38
Or you could Google for something like this http://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-software-downloads/organize-mp3-file

Another method that comes to mind is to seperate by file type, use iTunes to organize each type in a separate folder. Add any missing files to the directory you want to use for SqueezeCenter, or better - rerip them in flac.

Can't say been there done that but I do keep multiple libraries in FLAC, MP3, and ALAC. It would be a real pain to keep updated if it wasn't for dbPoweramp.

Meatwad650
2008-08-07, 21:45
Or you could Google for something like this

That'd be great if it ran on a Mac. :)

Letten
2008-08-07, 22:40
The problem with that method is that now I guess I can't use iTunes to keep the folders organized anymore..

I don't use iTunes, but Windows Media Player. In WMP you can list the folders you want to "watch", is that not possible in iTunes?

And then I have to go and sort all this out...what a mess.

Well it's not the first time I hear about people regretting putting all their music in one folder. Having a good folderstructure to keep sources separated is a good idea.

I use sommething like this:
\Own CDs Lossless
\Own CDs Lossy
\Bought DRM (I have licens)
\Lended DRM (music expires after 8 days, so it's easy to delete it this way)
\...
\...

It's either gonna be a really complicated script or, ideally, I should be able to tell SC to prefer one format over another

That would require complete match on filenames (apart from extension) and tags.

Meatwad650
2008-08-07, 23:43
The other issue I see with not using iTunes to manage things is having to manually rename files and such.

So right now what happens is that I get an MP3 from somewhere, like Amazon. I just import it into iTunes. iTunes does the right thing - it puts it in a consistent directory structure and renames the file to a consistent name (with everything else). I get the tags and stuff right in iTunes and I don't have to move the files around.

If anyone has good Mac-based library management tools as an alternative to iTunes I'm happy to play with them.

bobkoure
2008-08-08, 14:31
What happens if you use m4a for your lossless format? Will itunes manage that for you? I'm pretty sure SC will transcode that on-the-fly to flac or wav so you won't lose any sound quality when playing through SC - just the ability to skip forward/back in a song, and, of course, your music server will now be working harder.
Just a thought - from someone who's not itunes literate...
Bob