PDA

View Full Version : Advise: Speaker & Amplifier

mikeinlondon
2008-08-06, 14:08
Hi,

Ok, I was hoping if any of you guys can offer some advice on the best setup for my Logitech Squezebox 3 bedroom setup. I'm currently listening to a mixture of WAV's, MP3's (@ 320kbps & 128kbps) via a Soundstick 2.1 speaker system.

I'm now looking to upgrade my speaker system .... I have a 300 budget ... I'm looking to buy a "Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE" amplifier and a "Wharfedale Diamond 9.1" speakers to connect to the Squeezebox.

Do you think that's good setup? Would it significantly improve the warmth and clarity of sound of my music? Is it the best combination of amp and speakers for my budget?

What are your thoughts? Any advise would be great! :-)

Thanks,
Mike

SuperQ
2008-08-06, 15:37
I really like what I've heard from the AudioEngine speakers:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000IYRGVY 200.00

Of course, there's the new Boom coming supposedly.

Kyle
2008-08-06, 17:13
The Audioengines are nice powered speakers (no need for a separate amp). I have two sets. Judging from the pictures of the Boom, I don't see any way something that size can match the larger AE's (they also make a set of smaller computer-style speakers). If you've already got an SB3, the AE's would definitely be a better choice than the Boom.

SuperQ
2008-08-06, 17:40
Yea, the dome/woofer combo in the Boom reminds me of the smaller A2 speakers.

Uluen
2008-08-06, 17:53
I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and it's very good for the price. Not as detailed as I'd like but I think I'm expecting to much from this low priced amp since I used to be into high-end.

Remember, any decent hi-fi shop will let you try before you buy, leave a deposit and audition the components at home.

How big is the room? Will the speakers be next to your ears or on proper stands further away?

BlueWombat
2008-08-06, 21:57
I went for the less expensive AudioEngine 2's for my bedroom setup after getting some suggestions from here, and have been very happy with them. I imagine the 5's are even nicer.

egd
2008-08-06, 22:00
I went for the less expensive AudioEngine 2's for my bedroom setup after getting some suggestions from here, and have been very happy with them. I imagine the 5's are even nicer.

they're good. The only probblem with speakers in the bedroom is I fall asleep as soon as I'm horizontal... :(

signor_rossi
2008-08-06, 23:33
Hi,

Ok, I was hoping if any of you guys can offer some advice on the best setup for my Logitech Squezebox 3 bedroom setup. I'm currently listening to a mixture of WAV's, MP3's (@ 320kbps & 128kbps) via a Soundstick 2.1 speaker system.

I'm now looking to upgrade my speaker system .... I have a 300 budget ... I'm looking to buy a "Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE" amplifier and a "Wharfedale Diamond 9.1" speakers to connect to the Squeezebox.

Do you think that's good setup? Would it significantly improve the warmth and clarity of sound of my music? Is it the best combination of amp and speakers for my budget?

What are your thoughts? Any advise would be great! :-)

Thanks,
Mike

Just test them before you buy and bring your favourite music with you when doing so!

Bye, signorRossi.