PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to turn off?

doggieflyer
2008-08-06, 10:46
Is it worthwhile to 'turn off' a Squeezebox from the controller while not in use? I ask because I don't know if doing so actually saves electricity.

Here's a recurring behavior I've found. My PC is my music source. After playing PC music on my Squeezebox I 'turn off' the Squeezebox from the controller, and the LED goes out as expected. I also turn off the controller. Later I turn off my PC for the night. The Squeezebox LED comes back on as blue. Next day I turn on the PC and the Squeezebox LED goes soft white, indicating a connection to the music source. I turn on the controller which thinks the Squeezebox is turned off, though the Squeezebox thinks otherwise.

If turning off the Squeezebox does not save power then I'm inclined to leave it on so that the controller doesn't get confused.

peter
2008-08-06, 11:20
doggieflyer wrote:
> Is it worthwhile to 'turn off' a Squeezebox from the controller while
> not in use? I ask because I don't know if doing so actually saves
> electricity.
>

It doesn't save electricity.

Regards,
Peter

morris_minor
2008-08-06, 11:26
Squeezeboxes are never actually "off" unless disconnected from the mains. "Off" could be better renamed "standby". I would imagine the difference in current being drawn when in standby compared to playing was negligible - but others might know more about this . . .

radish
2008-08-06, 19:49
There's a difference of a couple of watts with the SB3. Basically nothing with the SBR.

peterw
2008-08-06, 20:02
Here's my post with measurements of the Receiver/Controller/Duet. In the thread there's a link to findings on SB2/SB3/"Classic".
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43071